Old 08-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Michael Hennebry

Default printer emits postscript

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-08-11 at 11:27 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
>> Since upgrading to Fedora 13, I've been unable to use my printer.
>> It keeps emitting postscript.
>> It's an HP Photosmart C3180 All in One (printer, scanner, copier).
>> I installed the printer using the GUI available through
>> localhost:Iforgetthenumber.
>> The ppd file I used had C3100 in its name.
>> Any ideas about what is going on, what I should do about it
>> or where to look?
>>

>> Every update does something like this to me.
>> There is always some problem that takes me weeks or months to fix.
>> It's why I wait for EOL before updating.

> Point of clarification... Is the printer itself emitting PS back to the
> host, or is your driver generating PS code that the printer doesn't
> understand?

The printer is putting postscript-shaped ink onto the paper,
Usually, it blackens one line before going on to the next page.
The few legible lines are postscript.
I suppose that means the driver is emitting the wrong PS code.
The printer worked, eventaully, with Fedora 11.
I forget the details of the struggle.

--
Michael hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
"Pessimist: The glass is half empty.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:05 PM
"Robert G. (Doc) Savage"

On Wed, 2010-08-11 at 13:13 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:

> The printer is putting postscript-shaped ink onto the paper,
> Usually, it blackens one line before going on to the next page.
> The few legible lines are postscript.
> I suppose that means the driver is emitting the wrong PS code.
> The printer worked, eventaully, with Fedora 11.
> I forget the details of the struggle.

Michael,

This looks like a case of not selecting the correct driver when setting
up the printer. When I look at the HP printer drivers menu in F13 I see
two entries for the HP Photosmart C3100 series. Are you using one of
those drivers? Have you tried the other?

--Doc Savage
Fairview Heights, IL

Old 08-11-2010, 07:46 PM
Michael Hennebry

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-08-11 at 13:13 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
>>
>> The printer is putting postscript-shaped ink onto the paper,
>> Usually, it blackens one line before going on to the next page.
>> The few legible lines are postscript.
>> I suppose that means the driver is emitting the wrong PS code.
>> The printer worked, eventaully, with Fedora 11.
>> I forget the details of the struggle.

> This looks like a case of not selecting the correct driver when setting
> up the printer. When I look at the HP printer drivers menu in F13 I see
> two entries for the HP Photosmart C3100 series. Are you using one of
> those drivers? Have you tried the other?

Thanks.
The only actual option I remember was whether or not to specify a ppd file.
On my second attempt, I did so.
To be sure, I'll check when I get home.
We are discussing the GUI available through localhost:ipp_port, correct?

Assuming I ever get it to work, I'll like to know whether
there was a way to tell how to do it right the first time.
It's not always the printer, but it's always something.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:07 PM
"Robert G. (Doc) Savage"

On Wed, 2010-08-11 at 14:46 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> Thanks.
> The only actual option I remember was whether or not to specify a ppd file.
> On my second attempt, I did so.
> To be sure, I'll check when I get home.
> We are discussing the GUI available through localhost:ipp_port, correct?
>
> Assuming I ever get it to work, I'll like to know whether
> there was a way to tell how to do it right the first time.
> It's not always the printer, but it's always something.

Michael,

The GUI I'm using is System -> Administration -> Printer, which calls
the /usr/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py script. I
use network printers with JetDirect interfaces and local IP addresses.
That difference should not affect the driver.

--Doc Savage
Fairview Heights, IL

Old 08-11-2010, 08:16 PM
Dale Dellutri

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 2:46 PM, Michael Hennebry <hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-08-11 at 13:13 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:

>> The printer is putting postscript-shaped ink onto the paper,

>> Usually, it blackens one line before going on to the next page.

>> The few legible lines are postscript.

>> I suppose that means the driver is emitting the wrong PS code.

>> The printer worked, eventaully, with Fedora 11.

>> I forget the details of the struggle.

> This looks like a case of not selecting the correct driver when setting

> up the printer. When I look at the HP printer drivers menu in F13 I see

> two entries for the HP Photosmart C3100 series. Are you using one of

> those drivers? Have you tried the other?

Thanks.

The only actual option I remember was whether or not to specify a ppd file.

On my second attempt, I did so.

To be sure, I'll check when I get home.

We are discussing the GUI available through localhost:ipp_port, correct?

Assuming I ever get it to work, I'll like to know whether

there was a way to tell how to do it right the first time.

It's not always the printer, but it's always something.

Wouldn't it be best to install hplip and then install the printer from that
interface?
* http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/about.html

--
Dale Dellutri

Old 08-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Michael Hennebry

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010, Dale Dellutri wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 2:46 PM, Michael Hennebry <
> hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:

>>> This looks like a case of not selecting the correct driver when setting
>>> up the printer. When I look at the HP printer drivers menu in F13 I see
>>> two entries for the HP Photosmart C3100 series. Are you using one of
>>> those drivers? Have you tried the other?
>>
>> Thanks.
>> The only actual option I remember was whether or not to specify a ppd file.
>> On my second attempt, I did so.
>> To be sure, I'll check when I get home.
>> We are discussing the GUI available through localhost:ipp_port, correct?
>>
>> Assuming I ever get it to work, I'll like to know whether
>> there was a way to tell how to do it right the first time.
>> It's not always the printer, but it's always something.
>>

> Wouldn't it be best to install hplip and then install the printer from that
> interface?
> http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/about.html

I'll try it.
Now that you mention it, I think it's even what I did last time.
Still, 'twould be nice to know WTF happend this time.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Michael Hennebry

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010, Michael Hennebry wrote:

> I'll try it.
> Now that you mention it, I think it's even what I did last time.
> Still, 'twould be nice to know WTF happend this time.

I'll try it tonight.
I got home too late last night.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:52 AM
Michael Hennebry

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010, Dale Dellutri wrote:

> Wouldn't it be best to install hplip and then install the printer from that
> interface?
> http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/about.html

That did the trick.

In my previous efforts,
none of the multiple-choice options involved Photosmart.
I took LaserJet because that was the suggested choice
and nothing else looked any better.

At the moment,
I don't want to open up my printer to anyone else on the internet,
so I told the installation script no when it mentioned mDNS/Bonjour.
That might change.
If it does, I'll want to avoid letting in the whole world.
One or two IP addresses at a time should be enough.
One prospect is a Linux box on which I am not root.
The other is a Windows XP box on which I am an adminstrator.
Could someone point me at directions on how to go about it.