Old 08-11-2010, 02:38 PM
Kwan Lowe

Default Recovering a Ghost Image

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 10:10 AM, Paul F. Johnson
<paul@all-the-johnsons.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just before my old laptop was destroyed by the dog (don't ask), I made a
> back up from the laptop using Norton Ghost 15 thinking I would be able
> to use Norton via Wine to recover the archives.
>
> Turns out that N15 won't run under Wine and won't boot via another
> laptop (way too old).
>
> Shortly after the backup, my RAID array on the main machine went belly
> up, so I also lost a pile of stuff from there, but not the stuff from
> the old laptop (held on a different drive).
>
> Is there any way to dearchive a Norton image via qemu or something like
> that?

Not sure of using qemu, but there was a way to use VMWare p2v utility
to convert the .GHO file to a VMWare disk. I can't find the link at
the moment, alas..

Old 08-11-2010, 03:34 PM

Paul F. Johnson writes:

> Hi,
>
> Just before my old laptop was destroyed by the dog (don't ask), I made a
> back up from the laptop using Norton Ghost 15 thinking I would be able
> to use Norton via Wine to recover the archives.
>
> Turns out that N15 won't run under Wine and won't boot via another
> laptop (way too old).
>
> Shortly after the backup, my RAID array on the main machine went belly
> up, so I also lost a pile of stuff from there, but not the stuff from
> the old laptop (held on a different drive).
>
> Is there any way to dearchive a Norton image via qemu or something like
> that?

There's an idea; try to boot it in a VirtualBox machine.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:40 PM
Bill Davidsen

Paul F. Johnson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just before my old laptop was destroyed by the dog (don't ask), I made a
> back up from the laptop using Norton Ghost 15 thinking I would be able
> to use Norton via Wine to recover the archives.
>
> Turns out that N15 won't run under Wine and won't boot via another
> laptop (way too old).
>
> Shortly after the backup, my RAID array on the main machine went belly
> up, so I also lost a pile of stuff from there, but not the stuff from
> the old laptop (held on a different drive).
>
> Is there any way to dearchive a Norton image via qemu or something like
> that?

Windows can be installed in a VM under qemu (hopefully you have kvm-capable
hardware for speed). I know that works, I'm told Norton works, I don't use
Windows other than to test access, so I don't have it.

Good luck.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 08-12-2010, 04:53 AM
Chris Kloiber

On 08/11/2010 10:10 AM, Paul F. Johnson wrote:

Hi,

Just before my old laptop was destroyed by the dog (don't ask), I made a
back up from the laptop using Norton Ghost 15 thinking I would be able
to use Norton via Wine to recover the archives.

Turns out that N15 won't run under Wine and won't boot via another
laptop (way too old).

Shortly after the backup, my RAID array on the main machine went belly
up, so I also lost a pile of stuff from there, but not the stuff from
the old laptop (held on a different drive).

Is there any way to dearchive a Norton image via qemu or something like
that?

TTFN

Paul

I thought Norton Ghost offers a bootable ISO for restoring?

--
Chris Kloiber

Old 08-12-2010, 02:48 PM
"Tim Van Dyne"

>I thought Norton Ghost offers a bootable ISO for restoring?

They do, and you can also get a hold of ghost_explorer.exe to open GHO
data sets & extract files.