Old 08-11-2010, 02:35 PM
Frank Murphy

Default 64 bit kernel, 32 bit userland

On 11/08/10 16:33, nux@li.nux.ro wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm reading here[1] that even when installing the 32 bit version of Fedora
> we can get a 64 bit kernel (which is awesome). Can someone confirm if this
> has actually been implemented in F13?

No, never happened.

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of Fedora

Old 08-11-2010, 03:15 PM
Frank Murphy

On 11/08/10 16:44, nux@li.nux.ro wrote:

> Does anyone have a solution for running a 32 bit fedora userland on top of a
> 64 bit kernel?
> I'm quite interested in this setup to be honest and I saw it
> somewhere that's relatively trivial to have it running on Debian, only I
> don't want to run that.
>
> The first problem I see is how to fool yum into retrieving 32 bit version of
> the packages and ignore $ARCH. Ideas?

When I had it running.
Set up a normal 32 bit Desktop.

Then duplicated the repos.
with inlcudepkgs=kernel* in one batch.
exclude=kernel in the 32bit ones.
Having set $basearch as relevant to each.

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of Fedora

Old 08-11-2010, 03:33 PM

Hello,

I'm reading here[1] that even when installing the 32 bit version of Fedora
we can get a 64 bit kernel (which is awesome). Can someone confirm if this
has actually been implemented in F13?

[1]http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Fedora-project-plans-to-use-64-bit
-and-PAE-kernels-740255.html

Old 08-11-2010, 03:44 PM

Frank Murphy writes:

> On 11/08/10 16:33, nux@li.nux.ro wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm reading here[1] that even when installing the 32 bit version of Fedora
>> we can get a 64 bit kernel (which is awesome). Can someone confirm if this
>> has actually been implemented in F13?
>>

> No, never happened.

Aw :<

Old 08-11-2010, 04:40 PM

Frank Murphy writes:

> On 11/08/10 16:44, nux@li.nux.ro wrote:
>

>> Does anyone have a solution for running a 32 bit fedora userland on top of a
>> 64 bit kernel?
>> I'm quite interested in this setup to be honest and I saw it
>> somewhere that's relatively trivial to have it running on Debian, only I
>> don't want to run that.
>>
>> The first problem I see is how to fool yum into retrieving 32 bit version of
>> the packages and ignore $ARCH. Ideas?
>>

> When I had it running.
> Set up a normal 32 bit Desktop.
>
> Then duplicated the repos.
> with inlcudepkgs=kernel* in one batch.
> exclude=kernel in the 32bit ones.
> Having set $basearch as relevant to each.

Not very elegant, but better than nothing. Thanks for sharing!