Old 01-18-2008, 08:38 PM
Dr P Dupre

Default Windows Network

Hello,

On a FC7 machine, Windows network does not show any machine, when from
a microsofy machine I can see plenty !

In addition system-config-printer gives me an error:
There was a problem connecting to the CUPS server.

Are those things correlated ?

Regards

Old 01-18-2008, 11:04 PM
max

Dr P Dupre wrote:

Hello,

On a FC7 machine, Windows network does not show any machine, when from
a microsofy machine I can see plenty !

In addition system-config-printer gives me an error:
There was a problem connecting to the CUPS server.

Are those things correlated ?

Possibly. Do you have samba installed? Does your firewall have the ports
for samba open? Are you attempting to connect to a printer on a Windows
computer? Does it have a firewall? What kind of firewall does it have?
Is it Norton or McAfee ? Both Norton and McAfee suck donkey balls. You
are pretty vague about what exactly you are doing. Perhaps if you are
more specific , then you will get more help. I understand the
frustration but you claim the Dr title so perhaps a little maturity and
composure are in order.

-Max

Old 01-18-2008, 11:40 PM
Dr P Dupre

On a FC7 machine, Windows network does not show any machine, when from
a microsofy machine I can see plenty !

In addition system-config-printer gives me an error:
There was a problem connecting to the CUPS server.

Are those things correlated ?

Possibly. Do you have samba installed?i

Yes, seems running fine

The FC7 machine does not see the "microsoft machines", when these ones
see each other. Why should this have something to do with the
firewall of the FC7 ?
The XP machines run a firewall but this should not prevent to see the
machines, eventually, the FC7 machine will not be able to login.

Am I wrong ?

Regards.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:47 PM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

Dr P Dupre wrote:

>>> On a FC7 machine, Windows network does not show any machine, when from
>>> a microsofy machine I can see plenty !
>>>
>>> In addition system-config-printer gives me an error:
>>> There was a problem connecting to the CUPS server.
>>>
>>> Are those things correlated ?
>>>

>> Possibly. Do you have samba installed?i
> Yes, seems running fine
>
> The FC7 machine does not see the "microsoft machines", when these ones
> see each other. Why should this have something to do with the
> firewall of the FC7 ?

More likely the workgroup Samba is configured for. Is it the same as
the Windows machines? Or does each Windows machine have its own domain?

> The XP machines run a firewall but this should not prevent to see the
> machines, eventually, the FC7 machine will not be able to login.

He's worried that the firewall on the F7 machine is blocking the
necessary ports for Samba to see the windows machines (and vice versa).
If F7 blocks those ports, there can be no communication between those
machines via those ports. Does that make sense?

> Am I wrong ?

My usual problems with Samba is that it defaults to a work group named
WORKGROUP, while Windows XP either defaults to the machine name or
MSHOME. I can't say what Vista does.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@rcn.com

Old 01-19-2008, 01:35 AM
max

Dr P Dupre wrote:

[...]

Quit whining and check the firewall config. Check the workgroup/domain
that the windows machines use. I use the only linux based workstation
where I work and i have no trouble accessing the windows network. I see
even the hidden shares. So have you considered maybe your missing
something simple or is your first reaction to start complaining to the
list. How about a list of the things you have checked or tried to adjust
to solve your problem. BTW the point of a firewall is to interfere with
things. Half the firewalls designed to work with windows don't work as
advertised more than half the time. I see more of windows and its
idotic problems than i care to discuss.

Good Luck.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:47 AM
max

max wrote:

Dr P Dupre wrote:

[...]

When i realized i had misspelled idiotic as idotic, i decided to google.
Here it is :

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=idotic

who says irritation/anger can teach you nothing.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:09 AM
max

max wrote:

max wrote:

Dr P Dupre wrote:

[...]

Including when to apologize. I already regret my rash words. My
apologies Dr. Dupre for calling for composure and maturity when I am
obviously incapable at the moment. If you would care to furnish more
specific information about your particular situation, I think you will
find your problem is easily resolved. If not , well who can blame you.
Best of luck.

-Max

Old 01-19-2008, 02:17 AM
"Aldo Foot"

On a FC7 machine, Windows network does not show any machine, when from
a microsofy machine I can see plenty !

In addition *system-config-printer gives me an error:
*There was a problem connecting to the CUPS server.

Are those things correlated ?

Regards

here _some_ ideas.
To allow access to the PC edit /etc/samba/smb.conf and add the PC's IP address.
******* hosts allow =
111.222.333.444
*
on the Windows machine:
*** ..Add Network Place; Share name 111.222.333.444myShareDir

I think you need to do a bit of reading on this subject.
*****
http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_HOWTO_:_Ch10_:_Windows,_Linux,_and_Samba
***** http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Samba-Authenticated-Gateway-HOWTO.html

~af

Old 01-19-2008, 02:30 PM
Dave Ihnat

On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 07:47:09PM -0500, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> My usual problems with Samba is that it defaults to a work group named
> WORKGROUP, while Windows XP either defaults to the machine name or
> MSHOME.

Well, actually, no. Windows XP Home defaults to MSHOME; XP Professional
is always WORKGROUP, which is the behavior Samba is emulating.

> I can't say what Vista does.

Not much, and too much, all at the same time.
--
Dave Ihnat
President, DMINET Consulting, Inc.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:37 PM
Dr P Dupre

Hello,

I am still trying to configure properly to have this "network" working.
Now I can see the other machines on the network !
When I try to connect on one (for example belonging to the same
workgroup),
I get: Sorry, couldn't display all the contents of "Windows Network:
bernath" and any machine shows up.

Concerning samba, I have: workgroup bernath
Security Authentication Mode User
Authentification Server: *
No Guest Account
Encrypt Password yes

Concerning the firewall, I enable mail, ssh, samba
I did not notice any difference if the SELinux Setting is enforced or
disabled.

What else should I check ?

In the workgroup bernath there is several machines which are visible
from a XP machine.

Regards