FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-10-2010, 09:46 AM
L
 
Default dns problem for wireless connection via NetworkManager

Hi
I use NetworkManager to manage wireless connection following these steps:


1. Right click the network manager icon in the panel and click Edit
Connections.
2. Select wireless tab, choose the access ID under Name column, click edit.
3. Click the IPv4 Settings tab.
4. Choose Automatic with manual DNS settings from the Method drop-down
box.
5. In the DNS Servers text box, type
"71.170.11.156, 216.87.84.209".
6. In the Search Domains text box, type "opennic.glue". I'm not sure if
this is needed, but it never hurt anything in the past.
7. Click OK and close the network manager window.

This worked ok. but then this causes problem when I changed my ISP, if
I alter steps from Step 3

Click the IPv4 Settings tab -> IPv4 Settings -> choose Automatic (DHCP)

This always picked up my old DNS (from my old ISP). This is the same
problem when I access public wireless points. The DNS nameserver from
the public access point was not updated, instead, the old dns
nameservers were picked up.

I check around and can't find where the old DNS nameservers were hidden

can some one offer me a hint?

best

Y

--

Linux Toys
http://linuxishbell.wordpress.com/
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 08-10-2010, 12:22 PM
JB
 
Default dns problem for wireless connection via NetworkManager

L <yuanlux <at> gmail.com> writes:

> ...
> I check around and can't find where the old DNS nameservers were hidden
> ...

Hi,

[jb@localhost ~]$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by NetworkManager
domain example.com
search example.com
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 1.2.3.4
nameserver 5.6.7.8
# NOTE: the libc resolver may not support more than 3 nameservers.
# The nameservers listed below may not be recognized.
nameserver 9.10.11.12

JB



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 08-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Tim
 
Default dns problem for wireless connection via NetworkManager

On Tue, 2010-08-10 at 19:46 +1000, L wrote:
> In the Search Domains text box, type "opennic.glue". I'm not sure if
> this is needed, but it never hurt anything in the past.

The search domain is what will be appended to hostnames, when you do
things using just the hostname.

e.g. "ping testname" would become "ping testname.opennic.glue".

If hostnames resolve, by themselves. Or your the rest of your
networking works perfectly (name resolution, etc., etc.), and your
domain name is the same as you'd otherwise have put into the search
parameter, then you probably won't see an advantage in manually setting
it.

But if hostnames don't resolve without the domain name being appended,
or you want a different domain name to be appended, then it is an
advantage to set that.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored. I
read messages from the public lists.



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 08-10-2010, 12:42 PM
L
 
Default dns problem for wireless connection via NetworkManager

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 10:22 PM, JB <jb.1234abcd@gmail.com> wrote:
> L <yuanlux <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> ...
>> I check around and can't find where the old DNS nameservers were hidden
>> ...
>
> Hi,
>
> [jb@localhost ~]$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
> # Generated by NetworkManager
> domain example.com
> search example.com
> nameserver 127.0.0.1
> nameserver 1.2.3.4
> nameserver 5.6.7.8
> # NOTE: the libc resolver may not support more than 3 nameservers.
> # The nameservers listed below may not be recognized.
> nameserver 9.10.11.12
>
> JB
>

This file is auto generated by networkmanager. Altough I set
networkmanager to "IPv4 Settings tab -> IPv4 Settings -> choose
Automatic (DHCP)", It always picks up the old nameservers.
203.23.236.66
203.23.236.69

.this is what It generated

cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by NetworkManager
nameserver 203.23.236.66
nameserver 203.23.236.69
nameserver 192.168.1.1

I need find where the networkmanager get the dns ( of old ISP):


>
>
> --
> users mailing list
> users@lists.fedoraproject.org
> To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
> Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
>



--

Linux Toys
http://linuxishbell.wordpress.com/
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 08-10-2010, 12:46 PM
L
 
Default dns problem for wireless connection via NetworkManager

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 10:42 PM, L <yuanlux@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 10:22 PM, JB <jb.1234abcd@gmail.com> wrote:
>> L <yuanlux <at> gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> ...
>>> I check around and can't find where the old DNS nameservers were hidden
>>> ...
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> [jb@localhost ~]$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
>> # Generated by NetworkManager
>> domain example.com
>> search example.com
>> nameserver 127.0.0.1
>> nameserver 1.2.3.4
>> nameserver 5.6.7.8
>> # NOTE: the libc resolver may not support more than 3 nameservers.
>> # The nameservers listed below may not be recognized.
>> nameserver 9.10.11.12
>>
>> JB
>>
>
> This file is auto generated by networkmanager. Altough I set
> networkmanager to "IPv4 Settings tab -> IPv4 Settings -> choose
> Automatic (DHCP)", It always picks up the old nameservers.
> 203.23.236.66
> 203.23.236.69
>
> .this is what It generated
>
> cat /etc/resolv.conf
> # Generated by NetworkManager
> nameserver 203.23.236.66
> nameserver 203.23.236.69
> nameserver 192.168.1.1
>
> I need find where the networkmanager get the dns ( of old *ISP):

interestingly, if I set up wired connection to "IPv4 Settings tab ->
IPv4 Settings -> choose Automatic (DHCP)",
it does the right as see below

cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by NetworkManager
nameserver 192.168.1.1


>
>
>>
>>
>> --
>> users mailing list
>> users@lists.fedoraproject.org
>> To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
>> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
>> Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
>>
>
>
>
> --
>
> Linux Toys
> http://linuxishbell.wordpress.com/
>



--

Linux Toys
http://linuxishbell.wordpress.com/
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 08-10-2010, 01:23 PM
JB
 
Default dns problem for wireless connection via NetworkManager

L <yuanlux <at> gmail.com> writes:

> ...
Hi,
would that help ?

man dhclient.conf
prepend ...
append ...
request ...
etc.

# ls /etc/dhcp*

JB




--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:34 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org