Old 08-10-2010, 02:14 AM
"David A. Paredes Rios"

Default Vesa Drivers - fedora instalation

Hello guys, i have a doubt, there is anyway to install fedora with vesa drivers or generic video drivers as default?
Because i have some problems installing my fedora, after install, i have video problems, then someone give me a command or something to install with default vesa drivers, and it* works fine, anyone knows how to do it?

Thanks

Old 08-10-2010, 02:26 AM
JD

Old 08-10-2010, 02:35 AM
"David A. Paredes Rios"

I have ATI HD3200 but dont get me wrong, ok, my laptop is working fine, but just after the install a few months ago, fedora have problem with graphics, someone in a irc channel told me that i have to install fedora with generic vesa drivers, and he gave me some command **i dont remember it** to install with default generic vesa drivers, and after the installation everything works just fine, Is that i just dont remember what command or option i use to install in that way....

I remember in that time that opensuse didnt work for me either...

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 9:26 PM, JD <jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:

*On 08/09/2010 07:14 PM, David A. Paredes Rios wrote:

> Hello guys, i have a doubt, there is anyway to install fedora with

> vesa drivers or generic video drivers as default?

> Because i have some problems installing my fedora, after install, i

> have video problems, then someone give me a command or something to

> install with default vesa drivers, and it *works fine, anyone knows

> how to do it?

> Thanks

> David A. Paredes R.

Fedora autodetects you graphics, and uses the right Xorg driver for it.

If that is not happening, your graphics chips might be too old or too new.

What is your graphics board brand and model number and

the chipset brand and model?

Old 08-10-2010, 03:27 AM
James McKenzie

David A. Paredes Rios wrote:
> Hello guys, i have a doubt, there is anyway to install fedora with
> vesa drivers or generic video drivers as default?
> Because i have some problems installing my fedora, after install, i
> have video problems, then someone give me a command or something to
> install with default vesa drivers, and it works fine, anyone knows
> how to do it?

This is broken for the moment with FC13 (I just tried this and it did
not work).

I'll check if there is a bug for this and if not open one.

It will be tomorrow evening PST before I will be able to get to this.

James McKenzie

Old 08-13-2010, 09:40 PM
Bill Davidsen

David A. Paredes Rios wrote:
> Hello guys, i have a doubt, there is anyway to install fedora with vesa
> drivers or generic video drivers as default?
> Because i have some problems installing my fedora, after install, i have
> video problems, then someone give me a command or something to install
> with default vesa drivers, and it works fine, anyone knows how to do it?

The last time I looked, there was "Install a system with basic video drivers"
which I believe is what you want.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 08-14-2010, 11:21 PM
James McKenzie

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> David A. Paredes Rios wrote:
>
>> Hello guys, i have a doubt, there is anyway to install fedora with vesa
>> drivers or generic video drivers as default?
>> Because i have some problems installing my fedora, after install, i have
>> video problems, then someone give me a command or something to install
>> with default vesa drivers, and it works fine, anyone knows how to do it?
>>

> The last time I looked, there was "Install a system with basic video drivers"
> which I believe is what you want.

I'll try that, but it did not appear to work properly.

James McKenzie

Old 08-15-2010, 07:54 PM
James McKenzie

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> David A. Paredes Rios wrote:
>
>> Hello guys, i have a doubt, there is anyway to install fedora with vesa
>> drivers or generic video drivers as default?
>> Because i have some problems installing my fedora, after install, i have
>> video problems, then someone give me a command or something to install
>> with default vesa drivers, and it works fine, anyone knows how to do it?
>>

> The last time I looked, there was "Install a system with basic video drivers"
> which I believe is what ynou want.

Bill:

I get an error that there is not enough video memory and then the
installation switches to text mode.

If I complete the installation, I get the wrong video mode and screen
corruption.

I think 'Doc' Savage sent me fixes for that.

James McKenzie

Old 08-15-2010, 09:10 PM
Michael Miles

James McKenzie wrote:
> Bill Davidsen wrote:
>
>> David A. Paredes Rios wrote:
>>

>>> Hello guys, i have a doubt, there is anyway to install fedora with vesa
>>> drivers or generic video drivers as default?
>>> Because i have some problems installing my fedora, after install, i have
>>> video problems, then someone give me a command or something to install
>>> with default vesa drivers, and it works fine, anyone knows how to do it?
>>>

>> The last time I looked, there was "Install a system with basic video drivers"
>> which I believe is what ynou want.
>>

> Bill:
>
> I get an error that there is not enough video memory and then the
> installation switches to text mode.
>
> If I complete the installation, I get the wrong video mode and screen
> corruption.
>
> I think 'Doc' Savage sent me fixes for that.
>
> James McKenzie

I had the same problem with a 512 meg ram laptop that was using shared
ram for video
I reduced the shared ram down to 16 meg for the install only then after
it was finished I brought it back up to 64 meg
Another system that used no shared ram for video failed to install in
vesa mode and I had to bring it up to 768 meg ram just for the install
then drop back down to 512 after install

The min requirements for F13 is

1.2.2. Processor and memory requirements for x86_64 architectures

*
Minimum RAM for text-mode: 256 MiB
*
Minimum RAM for graphical: 384 MiB
*
Recommended RAM for graphical: 512 MiB

It runs on 512meg ram but install requires more for some reason

If you ave more ram then put it in and try again

Old 08-15-2010, 09:17 PM
Michael Miles

Michael Miles wrote:
> James McKenzie wrote:
>> Bill Davidsen wrote:

>>> The last time I looked, there was "Install a system with basic video
>>> drivers"
>>> which I believe is what ynou want.
>>>

>> Bill:
>>
>> I get an error that there is not enough video memory and then the
>> installation switches to text mode.
>>
>> If I complete the installation, I get the wrong video mode and screen
>> corruption.
>>
>> I think 'Doc' Savage sent me fixes for that.
>>
>> James McKenzie
>>
> I had the same problem with a 512 meg ram laptop that was using shared
> ram for video
> I reduced the shared ram down to 16 meg for the install only then
> after it was finished I brought it back up to 64 meg
> Another system that used no shared ram for video failed to install in
> vesa mode and I had to bring it up to 768 meg ram just for the install
> then drop back down to 512 after install
>
> The min requirements for F13 is
>

> 1.2.2. Processor and memory requirements for x86_64 architectures
>
> *
> Minimum RAM for text-mode: 256 MiB
> *
> Minimum RAM for graphical: 384 MiB
> *
> Recommended RAM for graphical: 512 MiB
>
> It runs on 512meg ram but install requires more for some reason
>

> If you ave more ram then put it in and try again
Sorry about that I meant to say I brought the video mem up to 64 meg for
the install the dropped it down later to run F13.

Again my apology