Old 08-09-2010, 11:28 PM
Gerhard Magnus

Default wireless networking problem

I'm at my wits end trying to solve what I keep thinking is a simple
problem.

My old DSL modem doesn't have a wireless interface. It's connected to a
router (the LAN gateway) which then has ethernet connections to my
boxes. All of these computers use static IP addresses. The DSL modem is
assigned a dynamic IP address by my ISP.

I recently added a DIR-615 D-Link wireless router which connects to the
gateway router. I also have a netbook which I first configured with a
static IP address and the IP address of the gateway router. This worked
fine -- but, of course, I mostly use the netbook away from home, so I
reconfigured it to accept a dynamic IP address from whatever Starbucks
wireless network I'm connected to.

So now the netbook works fine, as long as I'm NOT connected to my own
LAN. When I'm at home connected to my LAN on the netbook I can get to
all the local computers fine -- but I can't reach the Internet.

The wireless router has an Internet --> WAN page in its setup that
includes a choice of Internet Connection Types: (1) Dynamic IP (DHCP),
which I can't use since the DSL modem has already taken the one IP
address assigned by my ISP;
(2) Static IP; (3) PPPoE; (4) PPTP; and (5) L2TP

Will any of these work? I'd appreciate some advice before I rush in and
start changing things without knowing what I'm doing...

Old 08-09-2010, 11:34 PM
Mikkel

On 08/09/2010 06:28 PM, Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> I'm at my wits end trying to solve what I keep thinking is a simple
> problem.
>
> My old DSL modem doesn't have a wireless interface. It's connected to a
> router (the LAN gateway) which then has ethernet connections to my
> boxes. All of these computers use static IP addresses. The DSL modem is
> assigned a dynamic IP address by my ISP.
>
> I recently added a DIR-615 D-Link wireless router which connects to the
> gateway router. I also have a netbook which I first configured with a
> static IP address and the IP address of the gateway router. This worked
> fine -- but, of course, I mostly use the netbook away from home, so I
> reconfigured it to accept a dynamic IP address from whatever Starbucks
> wireless network I'm connected to.
>
> So now the netbook works fine, as long as I'm NOT connected to my own
> LAN. When I'm at home connected to my LAN on the netbook I can get to
> all the local computers fine -- but I can't reach the Internet.
>
> The wireless router has an Internet --> WAN page in its setup that
> includes a choice of Internet Connection Types: (1) Dynamic IP (DHCP),
> which I can't use since the DSL modem has already taken the one IP
> address assigned by my ISP;
> (2) Static IP; (3) PPPoE; (4) PPTP; and (5) L2TP
>
> Will any of these work? I'd appreciate some advice before I rush in and
> start changing things without knowing what I'm doing...

Normally, the router does NAT, so you can use DHCP on the LAN side,
regardless of what the WAN side uses. The D-link acts as a DHCP server.

Mikkel

Old 08-09-2010, 11:47 PM
JD

On 08/09/2010 04:28 PM, Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> I'm at my wits end trying to solve what I keep thinking is a simple
> problem.
>
> My old DSL modem doesn't have a wireless interface. It's connected to a
> router (the LAN gateway) which then has ethernet connections to my
> boxes. All of these computers use static IP addresses. The DSL modem is
> assigned a dynamic IP address by my ISP.
>
> I recently added a DIR-615 D-Link wireless router which connects to the
> gateway router. I also have a netbook which I first configured with a
> static IP address and the IP address of the gateway router. This worked
> fine -- but, of course, I mostly use the netbook away from home, so I
> reconfigured it to accept a dynamic IP address from whatever Starbucks
> wireless network I'm connected to.
>
> So now the netbook works fine, as long as I'm NOT connected to my own
> LAN. When I'm at home connected to my LAN on the netbook I can get to
> all the local computers fine -- but I can't reach the Internet.
>
> The wireless router has an Internet --> WAN page in its setup that
> includes a choice of Internet Connection Types: (1) Dynamic IP (DHCP),
> which I can't use since the DSL modem has already taken the one IP
> address assigned by my ISP;
> (2) Static IP; (3) PPPoE; (4) PPTP; and (5) L2TP
>
> Will any of these work? I'd appreciate some advice before I rush in and
> start changing things without knowing what I'm doing...

I think you are confusing the issues.
The lan setup of your D-Link router is different from
"Connection Setup" to the WAN.
The Connection Setup to the WAN should be DHCP
And you should enable NAT in the D-Link so that LAN
ip-addresses are NAT'ed to the routable IP address of
DHCP-Obtained IP address of the D-Link Router from the DSL Modem.

That said, some DSL modems might not accept packets from the router
that are already NAT'ed to the Router's public IP address. I have seen
this in an AT&T Uverse Modem/Router - fortunately, I found a way around it.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:30 AM
Ed Greshko

On 08/10/2010 07:28 AM, Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> The wireless router has an Internet --> WAN page in its setup that
> includes a choice of Internet Connection Types: (1) Dynamic IP (DHCP),
> which I can't use since the DSL modem has already taken the one IP
> address assigned by my ISP;
> (2) Static IP; (3) PPPoE; (4) PPTP; and (5) L2TP
>
> Will any of these work? I'd appreciate some advice before I rush in and
> start changing things without knowing what I'm doing...

Yes.....

Based on what you've said....

Plug the WAN interface of the D-Link DIR-615 into one of the ports of
your router, just like all of your other hardwired systems, and manually
configure the WAN interface the same as those systems. i.e. Static IP.

Configure the wireless side making sure that the subnet assigned is
different than the one being used on the WAN side. e.g. if the WAN side
is using 192.168.1.X make the wireless side use 192.168.2.X with a
netmask of 255.255.255.0. Also, make sure the wireless side is
configured to supply DHCP services to wireless clients.

--
"But what we need to know is, do people want nasally-insertable
computers?" 葛斯克 愛德華 / 台北市八德路四段

Old 08-10-2010, 02:04 AM
"Darr"

In this case, you don't *have* to use the WAN/Internet port on the DIR-615
at all.

In the D-Link's web menu, SETUP on the top, NETWORK SETTINGS
on the left, the ROUTER SETTINGS section in the middle...
Set the Router IP Address to an unused IP in the same network of
your LAN. Check the Enable DNS Relay box. Click "Save Settings"...
After it reboots you'll need to reconnect to the DIR-615 at the IP
address you just set (instead of the default 192.168.0.1).
To access the DIR-615's setup menus and to set the scope of its
DHCP server are the only reasons for that IP address... other than
that, the 4 LAN ports on the DIR-615 amount to just a 'dumb' switch.

Set a range on the DIR-615's DHCP server in the DHCP SERVER
SETTINGS section that does not include the current static addresses on
your LAN. You can set the range to allow only 1 address if you'll only
ever want to connect 1 device (i.e. your netbook), but I'd allow room
for a few if you might have visitors with a WiFi device. Your decision.

Click "Save Settings" again.

Finally, connect one of the DIR-615's LAN ports (instead of the
WAN/Internet port) to a LAN port on the "LAN gateway" router.

You should be able to use the DIR-615 as an access point now, without any
NAT'ing required.