Old 08-09-2010, 08:45 PM
Konstantin Svist

Default UI freezes while copying large file via NFS

> I've been copying some large (several GB) files from my local system to
> a NAS server on my LAN, using NFS.
>
> The local files are on an external USB drive (Iomega 500GB unit) on a
> USB 2 port. The NAS server is also Iomega, an ix-200. The network switch
> is a Belkin Wireless G with 100Mbps Ethernet ports (I'm not using Wifi
> for this). I'm not using jumbo frames or anything fancy, in fact I don't
> think the Belkin supports them. The system is an Intel Core 2 Duo mobo
> with 4GB RAM running F13 fully updated.
>
> I'm using KDE 4.4.5. When I do one of these copies (using cp from a
> terminal), my entire system becomes unresponsive for periods of about 1
> minute, then becomes usable for maybe 10 seconds, freezes again for
> another minute etc. etc. until the copy finishes. "Unresponsive" means
> the mouse cursor won't move, button clicks aren't attended to and I
> can't type in Konsole or in the Evolution mail composer.
>
> Copying the same files to a local SATA disk doesn't cause this
> phenomenon, so it can't just be the external drive. OTOH, I use the same
> NAS for regular rsync-based backups *to the same NFS-mounted NAS* and
> the load is not noticeable.
>
> Any thoughts on this would be welcome.
>
> poc

Usually you see this kind of problem when your HDD is thrashing.

Try running your copy command with ionice:
ionice -c3 <command>

Other things to check:
* run top in a separate window before you run the freezing command --
see what it says when it works
* see if tty sessions in Ctrl+Alt+F2..F6 respond any better than the UI

Old 08-09-2010, 09:02 PM
kalinix

On Mon, 2010-08-09 at 13:45 -0700, Konstantin Svist wrote:
> On 08/09/2010 12:36 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > I've been copying some large (several GB) files from my local system to
> > a NAS server on my LAN, using NFS.
> >

> > poc
>
> Usually you see this kind of problem when your HDD is thrashing.
>
> Try running your copy command with ionice:
> ionice -c3 <command>
>
> Other things to check:
> * run top in a separate window before you run the freezing command --
> see what it says when it works
> * see if tty sessions in Ctrl+Alt+F2..F6 respond any better than the UI

I've seen this too, and tty is almost the same as bad as UI.
As a matter of fact there is an nfs related process eating the processor
(nfs.mount or mount.nfs, if I remember correctly). I'm curious if this
happens only on kde or it can be observed on gnome too.

--

Calin

Key fingerprint = 37B8 0DA5 9B2A 8554 FB2B 4145 5DC1 15DD A3EF E857

Old 08-09-2010, 11:21 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Mon, 2010-08-09 at 13:45 -0700, Konstantin Svist wrote:
> On 08/09/2010 12:36 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > I've been copying some large (several GB) files from my local system to
> > a NAS server on my LAN, using NFS.
> >
> > The local files are on an external USB drive (Iomega 500GB unit) on a
> > USB 2 port. The NAS server is also Iomega, an ix-200. The network switch
> > is a Belkin Wireless G with 100Mbps Ethernet ports (I'm not using Wifi
> > for this). I'm not using jumbo frames or anything fancy, in fact I don't
> > think the Belkin supports them. The system is an Intel Core 2 Duo mobo
> > with 4GB RAM running F13 fully updated.
> >
> > I'm using KDE 4.4.5. When I do one of these copies (using cp from a
> > terminal), my entire system becomes unresponsive for periods of about 1
> > minute, then becomes usable for maybe 10 seconds, freezes again for
> > another minute etc. etc. until the copy finishes. "Unresponsive" means
> > the mouse cursor won't move, button clicks aren't attended to and I
> > can't type in Konsole or in the Evolution mail composer.
> >
> > Copying the same files to a local SATA disk doesn't cause this
> > phenomenon, so it can't just be the external drive. OTOH, I use the same
> > NAS for regular rsync-based backups *to the same NFS-mounted NAS* and
> > the load is not noticeable.
> >
> > Any thoughts on this would be welcome.
> >
> > poc
>
> Usually you see this kind of problem when your HDD is thrashing.
>
> Try running your copy command with ionice:
> ionice -c3 <command>

OK, I tried that with a 1.2GB file. The mouse didn't freeze but I still
couldn't do anything for long periods, as before.

> Other things to check:
> * run top in a separate window before you run the freezing command --
> see what it says when it works

It freezes :-) i.e. it fails to update the status except every minute or
so. When it does update, I can see the load average going up (over 4 in
this case, on a more or less idle system). CPU wasn't being saturated or
anything.

> * see if tty sessions in Ctrl+Alt+F2..F6 respond any better than the UI

Also frozen.

poc

Old 08-09-2010, 11:40 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Mon, 2010-08-09 at 15:46 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> Use rsync to do the copying and come up with a --bwlimit
> option that will keep it from completely clogging the
> network and let it catch its breath sometimes.

I don't think clogging the network is really the issue but when I
throttled it to 100KBPS I got no freezing. Have to try some other values
to see where it kicks in.

poc

Old 08-10-2010, 12:12 AM
John Mellor

On Mon, 2010-08-09 at 19:10 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-08-09 at 15:46 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> > Use rsync to do the copying and come up with a --bwlimit
> > option that will keep it from completely clogging the
> > network and let it catch its breath sometimes.
>
> I don't think clogging the network is really the issue but when I
> throttled it to 100KBPS I got no freezing. Have to try some other values
> to see where it kicks in.

Are you seeing perhaps a common ethernet and disk or ethernet and video
using the same interrupt? If so, then perhaps it would be good to
separate them in your BIOS configuration if you can...

Old 08-10-2010, 01:19 AM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Mon, 2010-08-09 at 20:12 -0400, John Mellor wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-08-09 at 19:10 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Mon, 2010-08-09 at 15:46 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> > > Use rsync to do the copying and come up with a --bwlimit
> > > option that will keep it from completely clogging the
> > > network and let it catch its breath sometimes.
> >
> > I don't think clogging the network is really the issue but when I
> > throttled it to 100KBPS I got no freezing. Have to try some other values
> > to see where it kicks in.
>
> Are you seeing perhaps a common ethernet and disk or ethernet and video
> using the same interrupt?

Not as far as I can tell (using 'lshw').

poc

Old 08-10-2010, 01:39 AM
Gilboa Davara

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 4:19 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-08-09 at 20:12 -0400, John Mellor wrote:
>> >
>> > I don't think clogging the network is really the issue but when I
>> > throttled it to 100KBPS I got no freezing. Have to try some other values
>> > to see where it kicks in.
>>
>> Are you seeing perhaps a common ethernet and disk or ethernet and video
>> using the same interrupt?
>
> Not as far as I can tell (using 'lshw').
>
> poc

What's the output of /proc/interrupts

- Gilboa

Old 08-10-2010, 03:30 AM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Tue, 2010-08-10 at 04:39 +0300, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> >> Are you seeing perhaps a common ethernet and disk or ethernet and
> video
> >> using the same interrupt?
> >
> > Not as far as I can tell (using 'lshw').
> >
> > poc
> >

> What's the output of /proc/interrupts

$ cat /proc/interrupts
CPU0 CPU1
0: 133 0 IO-APIC-edge timer
1: 62848 0 IO-APIC-edge i8042
4: 2 0 IO-APIC-edge
7: 0 0 IO-APIC-edge parport0
8: 0 0 IO-APIC-edge rtc0
9: 0 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi acpi
12: 125 2468743 IO-APIC-edge i8042
16: 0 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi uhci_hcd:usb3
17: 8330689 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi pata_marvell
18: 3 184156 IO-APIC-fasteoi ehci_hcd:usb1,
uhci_hcd:usb7
19: 8399 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi uhci_hcd:usb6,
firewire_ohci
21: 43 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi uhci_hcd:usb4
23: 1445442 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi ehci_hcd:usb2,
uhci_hcd:usb5
29: 5089 4503090 PCI-MSI-edge ahci
30: 1 551096 PCI-MSI-edge i915
31: 58723167 0 PCI-MSI-edge eth0
32: 446456 0 PCI-MSI-edge hda_intel
NMI: 0 0 Non-maskable interrupts
LOC: 274246203 286456120 Local timer interrupts
SPU: 0 0 Spurious interrupts
PMI: 0 0 Performance monitoring interrupts
PND: 0 0 Performance pending work
RES: 5926728 6616736 Rescheduling interrupts
CAL: 53951 55632 Function call interrupts
TLB: 925897 1043403 TLB shootdowns
TRM: 0 0 Thermal event interrupts
THR: 0 0 Threshold APIC interrupts
MCE: 0 0 Machine check exceptions
MCP: 1792 1792 Machine check polls
ERR: 1
MIS: 0

poc

Old 08-10-2010, 07:49 AM
Gilboa Davara

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 6:30 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:
> $ cat /proc/interrupts
> * * * * * CPU0 * * * CPU1
> *31: * 58723167 * * * * *0 * PCI-MSI-edge * * *eth0
> 23: 1445442 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi ehci_hcd:usb2, uhci_hcd:usb5

Ethernet is using MSI interrupts with no sharing.
I do see sharing on a very busy USB port, but I doubt that this is the
cause for the slow down.
Doesn't look like a hardware / driver configuration problem to me.

Just to be certain, if you copy files from the USB drive to you local
HD, do you see the same problem?

- Gilboa

Old 08-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Tue, 2010-08-10 at 10:49 +0300, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 6:30 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan
> <pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:
> > $ cat /proc/interrupts
> > CPU0 CPU1
> > 31: 58723167 0 PCI-MSI-edge eth0
> > 23: 1445442 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi ehci_hcd:usb2, uhci_hcd:usb5
>
> Ethernet is using MSI interrupts with no sharing.
> I do see sharing on a very busy USB port, but I doubt that this is the
> cause for the slow down.
> Doesn't look like a hardware / driver configuration problem to me.
>
> Just to be certain, if you copy files from the USB drive to you local
> HD, do you see the same problem?

I mentioned this in my first post. It doesn't happen with copies to the
local HD.

poc