Old 08-09-2010, 05:35 PM
Zoltan Hoppar

Default command to lock screen

Also, I suggest slock. This is an very simple screenlock, without any graphics UI, or feedback what you typing. I think this is perfect, if you are want something simple but powerful.

Zoltan

2010/8/9 Chris Tyler <chris@tylers.info>

On Mon, 2010-08-09 at 11:25 -0500, Brian Wood wrote:

> Yesterday I accidentally logged myself out rather than

> locking the screen. *I was kind of in a hurry and clicked

> on the item below lock screen. * That caused me

> trouble and don't want that to happen ever again. *Is

> there a command I can run to lock the screen? *Tia.

In Gnome, you can do it from the keyboard: Ctrl-Alt-L

-Chris

PGP:* 06853DF7

Old 08-09-2010, 05:46 PM
suvayu ali

On 9 August 2010 09:25, Brian Wood <woodbrian77@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yesterday I accidentally logged myself out rather than
> locking the screen. *I was kind of in a hurry and clicked
> on the item below lock screen. * That caused me
> trouble and don't want that to happen ever again. *Is
> there a command I can run to lock the screen? *Tia.

You can right click the applet and configure it to show _only_ lock
screen. I for example keep only log out.

--
Suvayu

Old 08-10-2010, 12:43 AM
Chris Tyler

On Mon, 2010-08-09 at 10:46 -0700, suvayu ali wrote:
> On 9 August 2010 09:25, Brian Wood <woodbrian77@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yesterday I accidentally logged myself out rather than
> > locking the screen. I was kind of in a hurry and clicked
> > on the item below lock screen. That caused me
> > trouble and don't want that to happen ever again. Is
> > there a command I can run to lock the screen? Tia.

Or rather than use the menu, you can add a button somewhere else on the
panel: right-click on the panel and select "Add to Panel", then select
"Lock screen".

-Chris

Old 08-10-2010, 03:02 AM
Tim

On Mon, 2010-08-09 at 20:43 -0400, Chris Tyler wrote:
> ather than use the menu, you can add a button somewhere else on the
> panel: right-click on the panel and select "Add to Panel", then select
> "Lock screen".

Have the icons for these applets changed since Fedora 9?

The lock icon is quite obvious, a picture of a padlock over a screen,
but the logout icon of a green man running away, also suggests (to me)
lock the screen because I'm going away. If I were to pick an icon for
"lock the computer while I quickly dash to the loo," that would be it.
I think that the logout icon needs something different.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.