Old 08-09-2010, 12:33 AM
Chris Adams

Default Converting flac to wav

Once upon a time, JD <jd1008@gmail.com> said:
> I want to burn a bunch of flac files to a vanilla audio CD.
> Is there a qualitative audio difference in the resulting wav file
> if flac is decoded and encoded to wav by ffmpeg
> or some other decoder/encoder?

FLAC is a lossless compression format, so there should be absolutely
zero difference between the output of any decoder. Think of FLAC like
ZIP and other general file compressors; any difference between input and
output is a bug.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>

Old 08-09-2010, 01:31 AM
JD

On 08/08/2010 05:33 PM, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, JD<jd1008@gmail.com> said:
>> I want to burn a bunch of flac files to a vanilla audio CD.
>> Is there a qualitative audio difference in the resulting wav file
>> if flac is decoded and encoded to wav by ffmpeg
>> or some other decoder/encoder?
> FLAC is a lossless compression format, so there should be absolutely
> zero difference between the output of any decoder. Think of FLAC like
> ZIP and other general file compressors; any difference between input and
> output is a bug.
So, it does not matter what decoder I use to convert to wav?
The resulting wav file will be the same?

Old 08-09-2010, 02:06 AM
Chris Adams

Once upon a time, JD <jd1008@gmail.com> said:
> On 08/08/2010 05:33 PM, Chris Adams wrote:
> > Once upon a time, JD<jd1008@gmail.com> said:
> >> I want to burn a bunch of flac files to a vanilla audio CD.
> >> Is there a qualitative audio difference in the resulting wav file
> >> if flac is decoded and encoded to wav by ffmpeg
> >> or some other decoder/encoder?
> > FLAC is a lossless compression format, so there should be absolutely
> > zero difference between the output of any decoder. Think of FLAC like
> > ZIP and other general file compressors; any difference between input and
> > output is a bug.
> So, it does not matter what decoder I use to convert to wav?
> The resulting wav file will be the same?

That's correct.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>

Old 08-09-2010, 02:12 AM
JD

On 08/08/2010 07:06 PM, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, JD<jd1008@gmail.com> said:
>>> FLAC is a lossless compression format, so there should be absolutely
>>> zero difference between the output of any decoder. Think of FLAC like
>>> ZIP and other general file compressors; any difference between input and
>>> output is a bug.
>> So, it does not matter what decoder I use to convert to wav?
>> The resulting wav file will be the same?
> That's correct.
Cool! Thanx for the info!