Old 08-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Marko Vojinovic

Default HTML mail

On Sunday, August 08, 2010 14:49:27 James McKenzie wrote:
> Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > Here is the message with full headers, as KMail sees it (forgive me for
> > not
> >
> > trimming anything):
> > Subject: Hi
> > From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=C1rp=E1d_Attila_Bakos?= <jaxxco@gmail.com>
>
> He is using the GMail send agent, probably the Web Mail interface. It
> creates HTML mail by default.

> > boundary="===============1539751590095400808=="
>
> This is HTML mail. If it were text, this would be text/plain...

But this is just a declaration. The message doesn't actually contain any html
code, AFAICS. Things like <head>, <body>, and other tags.

As I understood, html messages are frowned upon because they waste space and
bandwidth, and because they might contain javascripts and stuff that is
problematic security-wise. But if the message body just doesn't contain any
html tags at all, why does a "multipart/mixed" declaration in the header make
it html?

IOW, shouldn't the mail filter (generic one, I'm not talking specifically about
g's mail filter) check the actual contents of the message for html stuff, rather
than just blindly trust the message header?

Best, :-)
Marko

Old 08-08-2010, 03:17 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Sun, 2010-08-08 at 15:30 +0100, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> IOW, shouldn't the mail filter (generic one, I'm not talking
> specifically about
> g's mail filter) check the actual contents of the message for html
> stuff, rather
> than just blindly trust the message header?

To do that it would need to parse the contents (it's easy to construct a
message that looks a lot like HTML but isn't, e.g. a plain text message
discussing HTML syntax). Way too much work for a filter which might be
invoked for every incoming message.

poc

Old 08-08-2010, 03:21 PM
Takehiko Abe

>>> boundary="===============1539751590095400808=="
>>
>> This is HTML mail. If it were text, this would be text/plain...

bah. HTML is text too. It's called "text/html", which is not
"multipart/mixed". They are not related.

> why does a "multipart/mixed" declaration in the header make
> it html?

It does not.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:27 PM
James McKenzie

Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Sunday, August 08, 2010 14:49:27 James McKenzie wrote:
>
>> Marko Vojinovic wrote:
>>
>>> Here is the message with full headers, as KMail sees it (forgive me for
>>> not
>>>
>>> trimming anything):
>>> Subject: Hi
>>> From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=C1rp=E1d_Attila_Bakos?= <jaxxco@gmail.com>
>>>
>> He is using the GMail send agent, probably the Web Mail interface. It
>> creates HTML mail by default.

>>> boundary="===============1539751590095400808=="
>>>
>> This is HTML mail. If it were text, this would be text/plain...
>>

> But this is just a declaration. The message doesn't actually contain any html
> code, AFAICS. Things like <head>, <body>, and other tags.
>
> As I understood, html messages are frowned upon because they waste space and
> bandwidth, and because they might contain javascripts and stuff that is
> problematic security-wise. But if the message body just doesn't contain any
> html tags at all, why does a "multipart/mixed" declaration in the header make
> it html?

HTML mail in a mailing list is silly at best, dangerous at worst. GMail
has the capability to send text/plain for messages that do not contain
any HTML code.

Thunderbird has the same problem. However, I've set it so that only
plain text goes to this and any other mailing list I send to. GMail has
the same abilities.

> IOW, shouldn't the mail filter (generic one, I'm not talking specifically about
> g's mail filter) check the actual contents of the message for html stuff, rather
> than just blindly trust the message header?

This would be a real PITA and you still might be exposed to the dangers
of HTML mail just by running the filter.

James McKenzie

Old 08-08-2010, 03:35 PM
James McKenzie

Takehiko Abe wrote:

>>> This is HTML mail. If it were text, this would be text/plain...
>>>

> bah. HTML is text too. It's called "text/html", which is not
> "multipart/mixed". They are not related.
>

>> why does a "multipart/mixed" declaration in the header make
>> it html?
>>

> It does not.

It IMPLIES that there are mulitple parts, one of which can be
text/html. The filter is picking up the message as HTML, where the next
part could be a .zip file (UUEcoded) and this is why the message is
being dumped. It was not dumped because it was HTML.

Sending attachments to a mailing list is also a big no-no. Send a text
message, put the attachment somewhere where folks can get it and then
post the message with URL.

James McKenzie

Old 08-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Mike Klinke

On Sunday 08 August 2010 09:30, Marko Vojinovic wrote:

> IOW, shouldn't the mail filter (generic one, I'm not talking
> specifically about g's mail filter) check the actual contents of
> the message for html stuff, rather than just blindly trust the
> message header?

His original message arrived here with the following stanza
(slightly modified so your mail client doesn't interpret it):

Content; t e x t / h t m l; charset=ISO-8859-1

Hi!<b-r>I&-#39;m Arpad Attila Bakos, 25 years old guy interested in
open-source software and hardware,from Hungary.<b-r>Working as a
repair technician at a world leader mobile phone company I&-#39;ve
met a Fedora ambassador, who adviced me to join FEL.<b-r>

--Mike

Old 08-08-2010, 03:50 PM
Takehiko Abe

>>> why does a "multipart/mixed" declaration in the header make
>>> it html?
>>
>> It does not.
>>
> It IMPLIES that there are mulitple parts,

Huh? IMPLIES!? Of course multipart IMPLIES multiple-parts. Isn't that
fucking OBVIOUS?

> one of which can be text/html.

Or something else.

> The filter is picking up the message as HTML, where the next
> part could be a .zip file (UUEcoded) and this is why the message is
> being dumped. It was not dumped because it was HTML.

Whatever. I don't care what filter you use.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:56 PM
Sam Sharpe

As someone who actually doesn't care much if the mail is HTML or Text,
can I just point out that one of the arguments against HTML is that it
is a waste of other people's bandwidth.

Much like this discussion thread.

--
Sam

Old 08-08-2010, 04:05 PM
Takehiko Abe

> As someone who actually doesn't care much if the mail is HTML or Text,
> can I just point out that one of the arguments against HTML is that it
> is a waste of other people's bandwidth.
>
> Much like this discussion thread.

Yes. Actually I agree with you.

And you too have just contributed to it. Congratulation! This is
the most irritating characteristic of the meta discussion.
I think Fedora project needs a new mailing list about mailing list.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:29 PM
suvayu ali

On 8 August 2010 07:30, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko@gmail.com> wrote:
> IOW, shouldn't the mail filter (generic one, I'm not talking specifically about
> g's mail filter) check the actual contents of the message for html stuff, rather
> than just blindly trust the message header?

I don't understand all this fuss about html email. On thunderbird I
just choose "View >> Message Body as >> Plain Text". I think that
corresponds to this variable in the config editor,
"mailnews.display.prefer_plaintext;true". That strips out all html and
displays the email in plain text, monospaced font. (On Gmail its even
easier, just turn off rich text formatting!)

Doesn't the above work for others? Or am I misunderstanding something?

--
Suvayu