Old 08-08-2010, 03:29 AM
Marvin Kosmal

Default Fedora13

Hi

I am using Fedora 12 now..

Am planing on going to 13..

But, am thinking I need to resize my partitions

This is what I currently have.

/dev/sdb6 27G 4.1G 22G 17% /
/dev/sdb1 27G 222M 25G 1% /boot
/dev/sdb2 13G 3.4G 8.4G 29% /home
/dev/sdb7 27G 172M 25G 1% /home2
/dev/sdb3 2.0G 35M 1.8G 2% /opt
/dev/sdb8 24G 223M 22G 1% /tmp

I know I am wasting a lot of my drive..

I want to dual boot with sabayon 5.3. <just for fun>

So I was thinking:
For Fedora.

/boot 2G
/home 13G
/usr 6G
/ 6G

for sabayon 5.3

/boot 2G
/home 13G
/usr 6G
/ 6G

I am open to suggestions..

I really like Fedora.

Thanks

Marvin

Old 08-08-2010, 03:50 AM
Ankur Sinha

On Sat, 2010-08-07 at 20:29 -0700, Marvin Kosmal wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am using Fedora 12 now..
>
> Am planing on going to 13..
>
> But, am thinking I need to resize my partitions
>
> This is what I currently have.

> /dev/sdb6 27G 4.1G 22G 17% /
> /dev/sdb1 27G 222M 25G 1% /boot
> /dev/sdb2 13G 3.4G 8.4G 29% /home
> /dev/sdb7 27G 172M 25G 1% /home2
> /dev/sdb3 2.0G 35M 1.8G 2% /opt
> /dev/sdb8 24G 223M 22G 1% /tmp
>

> I know I am wasting a lot of my drive..
>
> I want to dual boot with sabayon 5.3. <just for fun>
>
> So I was thinking:
> For Fedora.
>
> /boot 2G
> /home 13G
> /usr 6G
> / 6G
>
> for sabayon 5.3
>
> /boot 2G
> /home 13G
> /usr 6G
> / 6G
>
> I am open to suggestions..
>
> I really like Fedora.
>
> Thanks
>
> Marvin

erm,

why a 2G boot? That's not needed IMO.

I use a 512M boot (which might be more than needed too)

I only make separate boot and home partitions, I let the rest be /.

--
Thanks!
Regards,

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Ankursinha

"FranciscoD"

Old 08-08-2010, 07:21 AM
Michael Schwendt

On Sat, 7 Aug 2010 20:29:04 -0700, Marvin wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am using Fedora 12 now..
>
> Am planing on going to 13..
>
> But, am thinking I need to resize my partitions
>
> This is what I currently have.

> /dev/sdb6 27G 4.1G 22G 17% /
> /dev/sdb1 27G 222M 25G 1% /boot
> /dev/sdb2 13G 3.4G 8.4G 29% /home
> /dev/sdb7 27G 172M 25G 1% /home2
> /dev/sdb3 2.0G 35M 1.8G 2% /opt
> /dev/sdb8 24G 223M 22G 1% /tmp
>

> I know I am wasting a lot of my drive..
>
> I want to dual boot with sabayon 5.3. <just for fun>
>
> So I was thinking:
> For Fedora.
>
> /boot 2G

Do you really need a separate /boot partition?

F12 on /dev/sdb6 and F13 on /dev/sdb1 would work.

> /home 13G
> /usr 6G
> / 6G
>
> for sabayon 5.3
>
> /boot 2G
> /home 13G
> /usr 6G
> / 6G
>
> I am open to suggestions..

Why the separate /usr? Unless you plan to use network mounts for it,
it won't be beneficial to put it onto its own partition. It will only
require you to resize it in the near future when suddenly you want to
put more stuff into /usr without extended its space via additional mount
points.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:17 AM
fedora

I just install 4 partitions as you may see from /etc/fstab:
[root@casablanca ~]# cat /etc/fstab

#
# /etc/fstab
# Created by anaconda on Tue Jul 27 13:18:24 2010
#
# Accessible filesystems, by reference, are maintained under '/dev/disk'
# See man pages fstab(5), findfs(8), mount(8) and/or blkid(8) for more info
#
UUID=afe5a1d5-a316-4cfb-90e0-d7e44b582037 / ext4
defaults 1 1
UUID=f9671037-dc1f-48db-9af2-3fea0d8187c1 /boot ext3
defaults 1 2
UUID=db29d16c-6dd1-4403-8d3e-2188837d06af /data ext4
defaults 1 2
UUID=767752a5-5c99-4076-82d0-8912ef12a0db swap swap
defaults 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/data/home /home auto bind 0 0
[root@casablanca ~]#

I was not too certain, wheather /boot can be mounted on ext4 with F13,
so instead of investigating very far, I created a separate partition
with ext3.
I loop-mount /home into /data so that erverything which may become large
and larger is in /data. I also link mysql, named, and ldap from /var/lib
into /data.

The partition sizes are as follows:

[root@casablanca ~]# df -k
/dev/sda2 12095032 5612516 5868116 49% /
tmpfs 1964368 240 1964128 1% /dev/shm
/dev/sda1 198337 41380 146717 22% /boot
/dev/sda5 462972776 47677060 391778020 11% /data
[root@casablanca ~]#

NOTE: do not use LVM with F13 and ext4. It took me quite a while to find
out, that the "errors" I had on ext4 like:

Jul 17 14:10:35 casablanca kernel: EXT4-fs error (device dm-0):
ext4_mb_generate_buddy: EXT4-fs: group 80: 25516 blocks in bitmap, 25515
in gd
... (hundreds like this)

where due to LVM (as opposed to ext4). Then I faced LVM out (needed a
new installation), and no more problems with ext4.

suomi

Old 08-08-2010, 01:46 PM
Tim

On Sun, 2010-08-08 at 09:21 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> Why the separate /usr? Unless you plan to use network mounts for it,
> it won't be beneficial to put it onto its own partition. It will only
> require you to resize it in the near future when suddenly you want to
> put more stuff into /usr without extended its space via additional
> mount points.

If you have a hulking big huge drive, then having to resize things
probably isn't going to be an issue. And with big drives, you might
want to partition so that any system crashes are more limited, and the
post recovery takes less time (you're far less likely to have problems
with a partition that was read-only, at the time).

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.