Old 08-07-2010, 10:56 PM

Default Linksys WUSB600N ver. 2

fedora 13

A Linksys wireless WUSB600 ver. 2

Does anyone know about a Driver for this device , in all wireless sites
they say a ver.1 is supported but not ver. 2 ?

Old 08-08-2010, 12:51 AM
JD

On 08/07/2010 03:56 PM, binarynut@comcast.net wrote:
> fedora 13
>
> A Linksys wireless WUSB600 ver. 2
>
> Does anyone know about a Driver for this device , in all wireless sites
> they say a ver.1 is supported but not ver. 2 ?
The Linksys WUSB600N driver is available in the unsupported
section of the vanilla kernel.
The chipset in the WUSB600N is the RalinkTech 2860, so the driver
is the rt2860.

To try it (and I doubt very much it will work), you need to get the
source rpm
of your kernel version, and configure it manually (make xconfig) and
select the rt2860 from the "staging" drivers.

I myself have the rt2860 mini-pci wireless card. But I am using a version
of the driver from a much earlier kernel (not from the ralink web site),
and it works just fine.

If you want it, I can email you the zipped tarball.

JD

Old 08-08-2010, 12:58 AM
Ed Greshko

On 08/08/2010 08:51 AM, JD wrote:
> On 08/07/2010 03:56 PM, binarynut@comcast.net wrote:
>> fedora 13
>>
>> A Linksys wireless WUSB600 ver. 2
>>
>> Does anyone know about a Driver for this device , in all wireless sites
>> they say a ver.1 is supported but not ver. 2 ?
> The Linksys WUSB600N driver is available in the unsupported
> section of the vanilla kernel.
> The chipset in the WUSB600N is the RalinkTech 2860, so the driver
> is the rt2860.
>
> To try it (and I doubt very much it will work), you need to get the
> source rpm
> of your kernel version, and configure it manually (make xconfig) and
> select the rt2860 from the "staging" drivers.
That isn't quite accurate....

One can install rt2860 and kmod-rt2860 packages from rpmfusion and cards
based on that chipset should work just fine. My HP system has that and
I've had no problems with it.

Ed

--
Dizzy, are we "REAL PEOPLE" or "AMAZING ANIMALS"? 葛斯克 愛德華 / 台北市
八德路四段

Old 08-08-2010, 01:22 AM
fred smith

On Sun, Aug 08, 2010 at 08:58:19AM +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 08/08/2010 08:51 AM, JD wrote:
> > On 08/07/2010 03:56 PM, binarynut@comcast.net wrote:
> >> fedora 13
> >>
> >> A Linksys wireless WUSB600 ver. 2
> >>
> >> Does anyone know about a Driver for this device , in all wireless sites
> >> they say a ver.1 is supported but not ver. 2 ?
> > The Linksys WUSB600N driver is available in the unsupported
> > section of the vanilla kernel.
> > The chipset in the WUSB600N is the RalinkTech 2860, so the driver
> > is the rt2860.
> >
> > To try it (and I doubt very much it will work), you need to get the
> > source rpm
> > of your kernel version, and configure it manually (make xconfig) and
> > select the rt2860 from the "staging" drivers.
> That isn't quite accurate....
>
> One can install rt2860 and kmod-rt2860 packages from rpmfusion and cards
> based on that chipset should work just fine. My HP system has that and
> I've had no problems with it.

likewise with the rt2860sta in my eeepc 901. Definitely try the
kmod or akmod from rpmfusion!
--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us ----------------------------
Do you not know? Have you not heard?

Old 08-08-2010, 01:51 AM
JD

On 08/07/2010 05:58 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 08/08/2010 08:51 AM, JD wrote:
>> On 08/07/2010 03:56 PM, binarynut@comcast.net wrote:
>>> fedora 13
>>>
>>> A Linksys wireless WUSB600 ver. 2
>>>
>>> Does anyone know about a Driver for this device , in all wireless sites
>>> they say a ver.1 is supported but not ver. 2 ?
>> The Linksys WUSB600N driver is available in the unsupported
>> section of the vanilla kernel.
>> The chipset in the WUSB600N is the RalinkTech 2860, so the driver
>> is the rt2860.
>>
>> To try it (and I doubt very much it will work), you need to get the
>> source rpm
>> of your kernel version, and configure it manually (make xconfig) and
>> select the rt2860 from the "staging" drivers.
> That isn't quite accurate....
>
> One can install rt2860 and kmod-rt2860 packages from rpmfusion and cards
> based on that chipset should work just fine. My HP system has that and
> I've had no problems with it.
>
> Ed
Hi Ed,
It's good to hear there is another person using the rt2860.
I just wonder when will the kernel dev team will finally fix
the rt2860 driver already in the staging drivers and make it
work.
What I have heard from some fedorans is that the current driver
source does not comply with the way linux wireless drivers are
designed to make use of the 802.11 stack. So, they have been
hacking at it for many months and still not working driver.

The driver which you are getting from RPMFUSION is not a "blessed"
linux driver - it is the same driver on the ralinktech.com web page.
All you have to do is getthe sources for the rpms you mention and
unpack them to see that the driver in the source package is
2010_01_29_RT2860_Linux_STA_v2.3.0.0.tar.bz2
which is from the ralinktech.com web site.

Cheers,

JD

Old 08-08-2010, 02:27 AM
Ed Greshko

On 08/08/2010 09:51 AM, JD wrote:
> It's good to hear there is another person using the rt2860.
> I just wonder when will the kernel dev team will finally fix
> the rt2860 driver already in the staging drivers and make it
> work.
> What I have heard from some fedorans is that the current driver
> source does not comply with the way linux wireless drivers are
> designed to make use of the 802.11 stack. So, they have been
> hacking at it for many months and still not working driver.
>
> The driver which you are getting from RPMFUSION is not a "blessed"
> linux driver - it is the same driver on the ralinktech.com web page.
> All you have to do is getthe sources for the rpms you mention and
> unpack them to see that the driver in the source package is
> 2010_01_29_RT2860_Linux_STA_v2.3.0.0.tar.bz2
> which is from the ralinktech.com web site.

I don't care if it is blessed or not. I also don't care if it is the
same driver from the ralink site. As much as possible, I like to take
the path of least resistance. So, I use the stuff from rpmfusion. And,
if someone asks me what they should do to get their rt2860 card working
I'd point them there first since the current track record is good. That
may change, of course, but for now that would be my advice. I don't
like to point folks to trying to get stuff from "staging" working since
there is generally a good reason why they are in "staging" and past
experience has proven frustrating and unrewarding for me. YMMV.

--
"Oh my! An `inflammatory attitude' in alt.flame? Never heard of such a
thing..." -- Allen Gwinn, allen@sulaco.Sigma.COM 葛斯克 愛德華 / 台北市

Old 08-08-2010, 01:24 PM

On 08/07/2010 08:58 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 08/08/2010 08:51 AM, JD wrote:
>> On 08/07/2010 03:56 PM, binarynut@comcast.net wrote:
>>> fedora 13
>>>
>>> A Linksys wireless WUSB600 ver. 2
>>>
>>> Does anyone know about a Driver for this device , in all wireless sites
>>> they say a ver.1 is supported but not ver. 2 ?
>> The Linksys WUSB600N driver is available in the unsupported
>> section of the vanilla kernel.
>> The chipset in the WUSB600N is the RalinkTech 2860, so the driver
>> is the rt2860.
>>
>> To try it (and I doubt very much it will work), you need to get the
>> source rpm
>> of your kernel version, and configure it manually (make xconfig) and
>> select the rt2860 from the "staging" drivers.
> That isn't quite accurate....
>
> One can install rt2860 and kmod-rt2860 packages from rpmfusion and cards
> based on that chipset should work just fine. My HP system has that and
> I've had no problems with it.
>
> Ed

Do you have the ver. 1 or 2 of the WUSB600N ?

Old 08-08-2010, 01:42 PM

On 08/07/2010 10:27 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 08/08/2010 09:51 AM, JD wrote:
>> It's good to hear there is another person using the rt2860.
>> I just wonder when will the kernel dev team will finally fix
>> the rt2860 driver already in the staging drivers and make it
>> work.
>> What I have heard from some fedorans is that the current driver
>> source does not comply with the way linux wireless drivers are
>> designed to make use of the 802.11 stack. So, they have been
>> hacking at it for many months and still not working driver.
>>
>> The driver which you are getting from RPMFUSION is not a "blessed"
>> linux driver - it is the same driver on the ralinktech.com web page.
>> All you have to do is getthe sources for the rpms you mention and
>> unpack them to see that the driver in the source package is
>> 2010_01_29_RT2860_Linux_STA_v2.3.0.0.tar.bz2
>> which is from the ralinktech.com web site.
>>
> I don't care if it is blessed or not. I also don't care if it is the
> same driver from the ralink site. As much as possible, I like to take
> the path of least resistance. So, I use the stuff from rpmfusion. And,
> if someone asks me what they should do to get their rt2860 card working
> I'd point them there first since the current track record is good. That
> may change, of course, but for now that would be my advice. I don't
> like to point folks to trying to get stuff from "staging" working since
> there is generally a good reason why they are in "staging" and past
> experience has proven frustrating and unrewarding for me. YMMV.

I hope you guys are aware that the drivers for WUSB600N ver. 1 is
different than WUSB600n ver. 2 .

I have the ver. 2

Old 08-08-2010, 03:08 PM

On 08/07/2010 10:27 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 08/08/2010 09:51 AM, JD wrote:
>> It's good to hear there is another person using the rt2860.
>> I just wonder when will the kernel dev team will finally fix
>> the rt2860 driver already in the staging drivers and make it
>> work.
>> What I have heard from some fedorans is that the current driver
>> source does not comply with the way linux wireless drivers are
>> designed to make use of the 802.11 stack. So, they have been
>> hacking at it for many months and still not working driver.
>>
>> The driver which you are getting from RPMFUSION is not a "blessed"
>> linux driver - it is the same driver on the ralinktech.com web page.
>> All you have to do is getthe sources for the rpms you mention and
>> unpack them to see that the driver in the source package is
>> 2010_01_29_RT2860_Linux_STA_v2.3.0.0.tar.bz2
>> which is from the ralinktech.com web site.
>>
> I don't care if it is blessed or not. I also don't care if it is the
> same driver from the ralink site. As much as possible, I like to take
> the path of least resistance. So, I use the stuff from rpmfusion. And,
> if someone asks me what they should do to get their rt2860 card working
> I'd point them there first since the current track record is good. That
> may change, of course, but for now that would be my advice. I don't
> like to point folks to trying to get stuff from "staging" working since
> there is generally a good reason why they are in "staging" and past
> experience has proven frustrating and unrewarding for me. YMMV.

Well one thing for sure, The RT2860 does NOT WORK with the Ver. 2 of the
WUSB600N.

That means it has a different chipset than Ver. 1 .

Old 08-08-2010, 03:29 PM
Ed Greshko

On 08/08/2010 11:08 PM, binarynut@comcast.net wrote:
> Well one thing for sure, The RT2860 does NOT WORK with the Ver. 2 of the
> WUSB600N.
>
> That means it has a different chipset than Ver. 1 .

FWIW, I don't have a WUSB600N. I also don't know, and didn't make the
claim that the WUSB600N has a rt2860 chipset.

My responses were solely directed towards indicating that if one did
have a RaLink RT2860 I felt it better to use the rpmfusion packages as
opposed to trying to compile the staging stuff.

If you can believe what you read on the net, :-), the v1 is rt2860 based
while the v2 is rt3572 based.

http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wireless-Adapters/Is-the-chipset-of-WUSB600N-v1-different-from-WUSB600N-v2/m-p/314181

is one source.

--
Q: Why don't lawyers go to the beach? A: The cats keep trying to bury
them. 葛斯克 愛德華 / 台北市八德路四段