Old 08-07-2010, 07:32 PM
Bob Goodwin

Default F-13 new wireless routers -

On 07/08/10 14:50, JD wrote:
> On 08/07/2010 11:07 AM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>> This is a current updated f-13 computer connected to our home LAN. I
>> have been using a Buffalo Airstation WLI-TX4-AG300N, essentially an
>> Ethernet wireless adapter to access the system. I recently bought a
>> Netgear WNDR330 dual band "N" wireless router and am having a lot of
>> trouble getting it to perform as advertised. This is a less than 20
>> year old typical two story frame house. I would expect the walls to
>> be essentially transparent to RF energy.
>>
>> Normally the distance between the router and the wireless adapter is
>> less than forty feet and there has been no problem operating in the
>> 2.4 gHz band however I find that with equipment located as it has
>> been for several years the new router will not function at that
>> distance in the 5 gHz band. In fact to get any connection at all I
>> have to reduce the distance to about ten feet which pretty well
>> negates the advantage of a wireless system. I decided several years
>> ago that running cables in this house is out of the question.
>>
>> I am on the third WNDR3300 router for other reasons but all of them
>> have had weak signal problems in the 5 gHz band. I just got around
>> to experimenting with that problem over the last two days.
>>
>> Does anyone have experience with a similar system? I would be
>> interested to know if my observations are typical or if I have an
>> equipment problem. I am considering obtaining a different wireless
>> adapter device to replace the Buffalo unit since it is the only
>> thing unchanged here.
>>
>> Any suggestions or observations will be appreciated. I feel,like I
>> am operating in a vacuum with no one to consult.
>>
>> Bob
> Hi Bob,
> I have a very similar problem with the AT&T Uverse router.
> Distance between my computer and the router is indeed less than
> 40 feet in a modern house with very light drywalls (earthquake
> specification),
> and because they are interior walls, they have no insulation.
> There are 2 such walls between my computer and the router.
> Rx signal at my computer is very weak even at 2.4 GHz.
> I have set my Tx signal to maximum, but that will not affect
> the Tx signal of the router. It has a weak Tx signal.
> I do not believe there is anything that can be done to the routers.
> I have experimented with putting external high gain antennas on
> my computer, but they promise much more than they actually
> deliver: nothing - No gain in signal at all.

And the newer devices have "internal" antennas, no connector to even
try a gain antenna of any kind. Just try different orientations for
best signal strength. I do have a camera feeding another Buffalo
ethernet adapter, 2.4 gHz only, perhaps 100 feet away from the
router that works marginally. The router and the adapter must be
positioned carefully but the slow data rate limits me to 3 frames
per sec. or less. Performance is degraded where the distances cause
weaker signals.

Yes, the problems I cited were all through interior uninsulated
frame walls, and this place is certainly not earthquake proof, we
went through one hurricane and it creaked like it was coming apart.

Thanks for your observations.

Bob

.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:48 PM
JD

On 08/07/2010 12:32 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> And the newer devices have "internal" antennas, no connector to even
> try a gain antenna of any kind. Just try different orientations for
> best signal strength. I do have a camera feeding another Buffalo
> ethernet adapter, 2.4 gHz only, perhaps 100 feet away from the
> router that works marginally. The router and the adapter must be
> positioned carefully but the slow data rate limits me to 3 frames
> per sec. or less. Performance is degraded where the distances cause
> weaker signals.
>
> Yes, the problems I cited were all through interior uninsulated
> frame walls, and this place is certainly not earthquake proof, we
> went through one hurricane and it creaked like it was coming apart.
>
> Thanks for your observations.
>
> Bob

Well, what I did for my notebook is this:
I bought a long u.fl cable, with a male rp-sma
connector on the other end, and bought an external
antenna (all this from ebay - so it was indeed very
inexpensive to do).
The external antenna is about 13 inches long.
I connected the cable to my wifi card (u.fl snap-on connector)
and the other end to the antenna.
Repositioning the antenna does not seem to help either.
But as I said, it offers no panacea at all.
Re-positioning the router is rather difficult because
there are 4 ethernet devices
connected to it and so I cannot move it around that much.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Bob Goodwin

On 08/08/10 06:10, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> Bob Goodwin<bobgoodwin@wildblue.net> writes:
>> This is a current updated f-13 computer connected to our home LAN. I
>> have been using a Buffalo Airstation WLI-TX4-AG300N, essentially an
>> Ethernet wireless adapter to access the system. I recently bought a
>> Netgear WNDR330 dual band "N" wireless router and am having a lot of
>> trouble getting it to perform as advertised. This is a less than 20
>> year old typical two story frame house. I would expect the walls to
>> be essentially transparent to RF energy.
> If you have signal problems with the typical low-power 15mW systems, you
> can always get something beefier at both ends. You can get nice 300mW
> systems and cards from places like Ubiquiti for not much more than
> department store router prices. see http://www.ubnt.com/ I have one of
> their 300mw PCI cards and a now discontinued 300mW AP card.
>
> -wolfgang

Where do you buy this "Ubiquiti" stuff?

Their site shows some interesting equipment but after wading around
a bit I find nothing about price or ordering. Perhaps I missed
"clicking" somewhere? Newegg search "Ubiquiti" turns up nothing?

Thanks for the tip though.

Bob

Old 08-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Ed Greshko

On 08/08/2010 08:41 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:

> Where do you buy this "Ubiquiti" stuff?
>
> Their site shows some interesting equipment but after wading around
> a bit I find nothing about price or ordering. Perhaps I missed
> "clicking" somewhere? Newegg search "Ubiquiti" turns up nothing?
>
> Thanks for the tip though.
>
> Bob

http://www.ubnt.com/purchase ?

Find a reseller near you, see if they have what you want?

http://www.provantage.com has some things like the
*
Radio Card Ubiquiti PC Express 34MM 1750*

--
Don't go surfing in South Dakota for a while. 葛斯克 愛德華 / 台北市八德
路四段

Old 08-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Ed Greshko

On 08/08/2010 08:41 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Newegg search "Ubiquiti" turns up nothing?

FWIW, Amazon carries some of their products.

--
Fast ship? You mean you've never heard of the Millennium Falcon? -- Han
Solo 葛斯克 愛德華 / 台北市八德路四段

Old 08-08-2010, 06:18 PM

Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@wildblue.net> writes:
>> department store router prices. see http://www.ubnt.com/ I have one of
>> their 300mw PCI cards and a now discontinued 300mW AP card.
>>
> Where do you buy this "Ubiquiti" stuff?
>
> Their site shows some interesting equipment but after wading around
> a bit I find nothing about price or ordering. Perhaps I missed
> "clicking" somewhere? Newegg search "Ubiquiti" turns up nothing?

Bob, I just google for the product name (in quotes) whenever I need to
find a price. I then bookmark the companies that had the first few hits
and check on all the other product's prices I'm interested in.

Wifistation $30

http://www.wlanparts.com/product/WIFISTATION-EXT/Ubiquiti-Wifistation-EXT-USB-Adapter-80211gn-up-to-1000mW.html?meta=GBASE&metacpg=WIFISTATION-EXT&utm_source=gbase&utm_medium=CPC&utm_content=&u tm_campaign=WIFISTATION-EXT

picostation 600mw $80

http://www.wlanparts.com/c=wHMD28QGlWVLwv4jtnDnHtgxK/product/PICOM2HP/Ubiquiti-Networks-PICOM2HP-24GHz-80211n-600mw.html

Ubiquiti Price list:
http://www.wlanparts.com/results.cgis?CATALOG=DEFAULT&mode=or&keywords=ubiq uiti&x=0&y=0

(I know nothing about this company other than google search ranked them highly.)

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/ (IPv6-only)

Old 08-08-2010, 07:26 PM
Bob Goodwin

On 08/08/10 14:18, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> Bob Goodwin<bobgoodwin@wildblue.net> writes:
>>> department store router prices. see http://www.ubnt.com/ I have one of
>>> their 300mw PCI cards and a now discontinued 300mW AP card.
>>>
>> Where do you buy this "Ubiquiti" stuff?
>>
>> Their site shows some interesting equipment but after wading around
>> a bit I find nothing about price or ordering. Perhaps I missed
>> "clicking" somewhere? Newegg search "Ubiquiti" turns up nothing?
> Bob, I just google for the product name (in quotes) whenever I need to
> find a price. I then bookmark the companies that had the first few hits
> and check on all the other product's prices I'm interested in.
>
> Wifistation $30
>
> http://www.wlanparts.com/product/WIFISTATION-EXT/Ubiquiti-Wifistation-EXT-USB-Adapter-80211gn-up-to-1000mW.html?meta=GBASE&metacpg=WIFISTATION-EXT&utm_source=gbase&utm_medium=CPC&utm_content=&u tm_campaign=WIFISTATION-EXT
>
> picostation 600mw $80
>
> http://www.wlanparts.com/c=wHMD28QGlWVLwv4jtnDnHtgxK/product/PICOM2HP/Ubiquiti-Networks-PICOM2HP-24GHz-80211n-600mw.html
>
> Ubiquiti Price list:
> http://www.wlanparts.com/results.cgis?CATALOG=DEFAULT&mode=or&keywords=ubiq uiti&x=0&y=0
>
> (I know nothing about this company other than google search ranked them highly.)
>
> -wolfgang

Darn, I was hoping you had some experience upon which to recommend
them! Yes, I googled and tried some of the places Ed suggested. It
looks like there's a whole different WIFI industry out there apart
from the product names we usually see in the computer ads.

You can actually buy at the board level ... I see a "Ubiquiti
AirRouter 802.11n Wireless Router" that looks interesting but found
no price or even anyone offering it for sale.

The Netgear WNDR3300 I bought on sale [so-called re-certified] from Newegg, a bargain at about $30! I've done two RMA returns and had to pay shipping so now I'm up to fifty bucks and have something that doesn't work as well as the old one I've used for the last four years. The maximum range I need is for a unit out in the shop building, the old router works fine, the new one doesn't even see it. I've raised that unit up in a shop window with line of site to the new router, nothing!. I need that working for a camera that watches my horses in pasture.

All my access points Ethernet to wireless devices. The computer sees them as a wired connection. I have not used any of the pci plug in stuff since encountering driver problems early on. The devices I use all program from a browser and can be shifted around between computers without any configuration problems. Each one gets an address assigned via DHCP by the router according to its MAC address. That has worked well for me. I have some of the Linksys plug in cards still in the boxes, gave up messing with them.

So now I'm looking for another router and maybe I don't need 5 gHz despite what the ad people would have me believe. In the mean time I will put the old Netgear WGR614v9 back in operation. I have several Netgear devices and have been satisfied with them, I figured the re-certified meant someone couldn't make it work and returned it, turns out they were returned with goo reason!

So that's where I am, thanks to all for suggestions and help.

Bob

.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:49 PM
JD

http://www.sellerbay.org/ They are selling ubiquiti
http://wifipartner.net/
http://www.wifiextreme.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_ id=40

Old 08-09-2010, 02:11 AM

Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@wildblue.net> writes:
> Darn, I was hoping you had some experience upon which to recommend
> them! Yes, I googled and tried some of the places Ed suggested. It
> looks like there's a whole different WIFI industry out there apart
> from the product names we usually see in the computer ads.

I can recommend the Ubititi RF sections in general because I've had
several of their cards. I just meant I know nothing of this particular
supplier.

The AP and AP-like stuff (like the picorouter, bullet etc) all use the
same Linux-based OS that my Ubiquity LS2 AP uses. I have both an LS2
and two of the PCI 2 Ghz cards. The cards work find under Fedora (and
did since FC4, I think). They show up as an Atheros driver and it works
out of the box. The AP is just a well-behaved AP that cuts through all
the noise when the previous ones got drowned out trying to fire through
my exterior chicken-wire and stucco walls.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/ (IPv6-only)

Old 08-09-2010, 02:37 AM
James McKenzie

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@wildblue.net> writes:
>
>> Darn, I was hoping you had some experience upon which to recommend
>> them! Yes, I googled and tried some of the places Ed suggested. It
>> looks like there's a whole different WIFI industry out there apart
>> from the product names we usually see in the computer ads.
>>

> I can recommend the Ubititi RF sections in general because I've had
> several of their cards. I just meant I know nothing of this particular
> supplier.
>
> The AP and AP-like stuff (like the picorouter, bullet etc) all use the
> same Linux-based OS that my Ubiquity LS2 AP uses. I have both an LS2
> and two of the PCI 2 Ghz cards. The cards work find under Fedora (and
> did since FC4, I think). They show up as an Atheros driver and it works
> out of the box. The AP is just a well-behaved AP that cuts through all
> the noise when the previous ones got drowned out trying to fire through
> my exterior chicken-wire and stucco walls.

Just make sure that you apply all of the known good practices for using
Wireless to these routers since they have much greater transmission
distances.

James McKenzie
SSCP 367830