Old 08-06-2010, 09:18 PM
Alex

Default System monitoring apps

Hi,

I'm using FC13 and would like to find a set of graphical utilities
that can be used to monitor the various parts of the system, such as
disk and network activity, memory utilization, status of virtual
machines, etc. Is there one such application that can do this, and run
in a small window on the desktop?

Thanks,
Alex

Old 08-06-2010, 09:43 PM
Tom Horsley

On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 17:18:36 -0400
Alex wrote:

> Is there one such application that can do this, and run
> in a small window on the desktop?

There's a million of them I think, but none of them do
everything you want :-). I use gkrellm (available in the
fedora repos).

Old 08-06-2010, 10:24 PM
Jonathan Beatty

No question, you want Conky. Conky can do absolutely anything you want it to do, and it draws right onto the desktop. It has tons of easily-used outputs, and it can even be taught to show the output of any given shell command. It's more powerful than any other monitor I've ever used. Check online for some good .conkyrc files, but don't forget that part of the fun is making it exactly what you need and want!

Jonathan Beatty <jonathan.beatty@gallaudet.edu>

Old 08-06-2010, 10:33 PM

Alex writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using FC13 and would like to find a set of graphical utilities
> that can be used to monitor the various parts of the system, such as
> disk and network activity, memory utilization, status of virtual
> machines, etc. Is there one such application that can do this, and run
> in a small window on the desktop?
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

Hi Alex,

Not sure about VMs, but gkrellm can show a lot of system info. HTH.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:57 AM
suvayu ali

On 6 August 2010 15:24, Jonathan Beatty <jonathan.beatty@gallaudet.edu> wrote:
> No question, you want Conky. Conky can do absolutely anything you want it to do, and it draws right onto the desktop. It has tons of easily-used outputs, and it can even be taught to show the output of any given shell command. It's more powerful than any other monitor I've ever used. Check online for some good .conkyrc files, but don't forget that part of the fun is making it exactly what you need and want!

I can second this recommendation. To add to this see,

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2010-March/369547.html

--
Suvayu

Old 08-09-2010, 01:27 AM
Alex

Hi,

> No question, you want Conky. Conky can do absolutely anything you want it to do, and it draws right onto the

Yes, great, thanks everyone for their ideas.

Thanks,
Alex