Old 08-06-2010, 06:51 PM
JD

Default Creating an Audio only DVD from several CD's

I have ripped several CD's to wave files.
I deliberately numbered the wave tracks
in a sequential order that keeps the order
of play of each original cd.

I then used dvda-author to create the audio dvd directory.
I then used growisofs to burn it to a DVD.

I can mount the resulting DVD and it has the
directories audio_ts/ and video_ts/
Of course the video_ts is empty.
The audio_ts has several triplets of
ats_01_0.bup
ats_01_0.ifo
ats_01_1.aob
ats_02_0.bup
ats_02_0.ifo
ats_03_1.aob
.
.
.
...etc for numbers ats_4, ats_5, ats_6, ...etc.
and has the final triplet

audio_pp.ifo
audio_ts.bup
audio_ts.ifo

Problem is I am unable to play it back with any Linux based
media players (xine, mplayer, vlc, ogle, rhythmbox...etc).
Even the home video player does not recognize it as playable
media.

Has anyone successfully done this?

Thank.

JD

Old 08-07-2010, 06:32 PM

On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 11:51:30AM -0700, JD wrote:
> I have ripped several CD's to wave files.
> I deliberately numbered the wave tracks
> in a sequential order that keeps the order
> of play of each original cd.
>
> I then used dvda-author to create the audio dvd directory.
> I then used growisofs to burn it to a DVD.
>
> I can mount the resulting DVD and it has the
> directories audio_ts/ and video_ts/
> Of course the video_ts is empty.
> The audio_ts has several triplets of
> ats_01_0.bup
> ats_01_0.ifo
> ats_01_1.aob
> ats_02_0.bup
> ats_02_0.ifo
> ats_03_1.aob
> .
> .
> .
> ...etc for numbers ats_4, ats_5, ats_6, ...etc.
> and has the final triplet
>
> audio_pp.ifo
> audio_ts.bup
> audio_ts.ifo
>
> Problem is I am unable to play it back with any Linux based
> media players (xine, mplayer, vlc, ogle, rhythmbox...etc).
> Even the home video player does not recognize it as playable
> media.

There is a site on a an open source tool:
http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net/
They say that not every home dvd player is able to play DVD-Audio.

Since I am also interested in this, I will give it a try during the
next days. I have a Denon 1920, which should support SACD, DVD-Video
and DVD-Audio (it explicitly says so on the cover, so I suppose there
should be some DVD players which don't support DVD Audio). I will try
my result out on that one as well as on xine and/or mplayer.

Maybe you need the UDF file system support from your kernel? At least
that's what is hinted at on the dvd audio site.

> Has anyone successfully done this?
>
> Thank.
>
> JD

Regards,
Gabriel

Old 08-07-2010, 07:01 PM
JD

On 08/07/2010 11:32 AM, linux@gabriel-striewe.de wrote:
> There is a site on a an open source tool:
> http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net/
> They say that not every home dvd player is able to play DVD-Audio.
>
> Since I am also interested in this, I will give it a try during the
> next days. I have a Denon 1920, which should support SACD, DVD-Video
> and DVD-Audio (it explicitly says so on the cover, so I suppose there
> should be some DVD players which don't support DVD Audio). I will try
> my result out on that one as well as on xine and/or mplayer.
>
> Maybe you need the UDF file system support from your kernel? At least
> that's what is hinted at on the dvd audio site.

Thanx for for the reply.
I can confirm that my kernel has UDF support:
$ egrep -i udf /boot/config-`uname-r`
CONFIG_UDF_FS=m
CONFIG_UDF_NLS=y

Waiting for your results.

For WIW, here is the link for dvd audio tools:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dvd-audio/

Old 08-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Tim

On Sat, 2010-08-07 at 20:32 +0200, linux@gabriel-striewe.de wrote:
> They say that not every home dvd player is able to play DVD-Audio.

For what it's worth, I haven't come across any that do. I get the
impression that it's really a niche market, like the original laser
(video) discs.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:47 PM

On Sat, Aug 07, 2010 at 12:01:21PM -0700, JD wrote:
> On 08/07/2010 11:32 AM, linux@gabriel-striewe.de wrote:
> > There is a site on a an open source tool:
> > http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net/
> > They say that not every home dvd player is able to play DVD-Audio.
> >
> > Since I am also interested in this, I will give it a try during the
> > next days. I have a Denon 1920, which should support SACD, DVD-Video
> > and DVD-Audio (it explicitly says so on the cover, so I suppose there
> > should be some DVD players which don't support DVD Audio). I will try
> > my result out on that one as well as on xine and/or mplayer.
> >
> > Maybe you need the UDF file system support from your kernel? At least
> > that's what is hinted at on the dvd audio site.
> >
> Thanx for for the reply.
> I can confirm that my kernel has UDF support:
> $ egrep -i udf /boot/config-`uname-r`
> CONFIG_UDF_FS=m
> CONFIG_UDF_NLS=y
>
> Waiting for your results.
>
> For WIW, here is the link for dvd audio tools:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/dvd-audio/

Well, I am coming back to this a bit late, since I had a problem
getting DVD+R to burn on my laptop; it still doesn't work and I filed
a post to the gentoo-users mailing list.

So I managed to write a DVD-A on a DVD+RW with the following steps:

dvda-author -o DVD -g *.wav
mkisofs -o image.iso -sort sort.txt -udf DVD
growisofs -Z /dev/sr0=image.iso

I followed the howto on:
http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net/howto.shtml

I do not have the mkisofs patch applied and used the sort file from
that howto.

And on my Denon DVD-1920, an explicit SACD and DVD-A player, it plays
fine.

However, I cannot mount the so-created DVD-A using mount -t udf
/dev/sr0 /mnt/udf; it gives me an "unknown filesystem" error.

Regards,

Gabriel

Old 08-10-2010, 10:19 PM
JD

On 08/10/2010 02:47 PM, linux@gabriel-striewe.de wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 07, 2010 at 12:01:21PM -0700, JD wrote:
>> On 08/07/2010 11:32 AM, linux@gabriel-striewe.de wrote:
>>> There is a site on a an open source tool:
>>> http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net/
>>> They say that not every home dvd player is able to play DVD-Audio.
>>>
>>> Since I am also interested in this, I will give it a try during the
>>> next days. I have a Denon 1920, which should support SACD, DVD-Video
>>> and DVD-Audio (it explicitly says so on the cover, so I suppose there
>>> should be some DVD players which don't support DVD Audio). I will try
>>> my result out on that one as well as on xine and/or mplayer.
>>>
>>> Maybe you need the UDF file system support from your kernel? At least
>>> that's what is hinted at on the dvd audio site.
>>>
>> Thanx for for the reply.
>> I can confirm that my kernel has UDF support:
>> $ egrep -i udf /boot/config-`uname-r`
>> CONFIG_UDF_FS=m
>> CONFIG_UDF_NLS=y
>>
>> Waiting for your results.
>>
>> For WIW, here is the link for dvd audio tools:
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/dvd-audio/
> Well, I am coming back to this a bit late, since I had a problem
> getting DVD+R to burn on my laptop; it still doesn't work and I filed
> a post to the gentoo-users mailing list.
>
> So I managed to write a DVD-A on a DVD+RW with the following steps:
>
> dvda-author -o DVD -g *.wav
> mkisofs -o image.iso -sort sort.txt -udf DVD
> growisofs -Z /dev/sr0=image.iso
>
> I followed the howto on:
> http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net/howto.shtml
>
> I do not have the mkisofs patch applied and used the sort file from
> that howto.
>
> And on my Denon DVD-1920, an explicit SACD and DVD-A player, it plays
> fine.
>
> However, I cannot mount the so-created DVD-A using mount -t udf
> /dev/sr0 /mnt/udf; it gives me an "unknown filesystem" error.
>
> Regards,
>
> Gabriel
Hi Gabriel,
Did you try to mount it with -t iso9660 instead of udf?

Old 08-10-2010, 10:33 PM

> > So I managed to write a DVD-A on a DVD+RW with the following steps:
> >
> > dvda-author -o DVD -g *.wav
> > mkisofs -o image.iso -sort sort.txt -udf DVD
> > growisofs -Z /dev/sr0=image.iso
> >
> > I followed the howto on:
> > http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net/howto.shtml
> >
> > I do not have the mkisofs patch applied and used the sort file from
> > that howto.
> >
> > And on my Denon DVD-1920, an explicit SACD and DVD-A player, it plays
> > fine.
> >
> > However, I cannot mount the so-created DVD-A using mount -t udf
> > /dev/sr0 /mnt/udf; it gives me an "unknown filesystem" error.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Gabriel
> Hi Gabriel,
> Did you try to mount it with -t iso9660 instead of udf?

In fact, that worked. I had set the option "auto" in my /etc/fstab and
mount without the "-t" option recognized the udf filesystem on the
DVD-A and gave an "unknown filesystem error. The command "mount -t
iso9660" as well as giving the filesystem type option iso9660 in the
/etc/fstab-file works fine.

How to play a DVD-A on the linux computer remains yet a mistery to me,
however. Hope we'll find out soon.

Gabriel

Old 08-10-2010, 10:35 PM
Rick Stevens

On 08/10/2010 02:47 PM, linux@gabriel-striewe.de wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 07, 2010 at 12:01:21PM -0700, JD wrote:
>> On 08/07/2010 11:32 AM, linux@gabriel-striewe.de wrote:
>>> There is a site on a an open source tool:
>>> http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net/
>>> They say that not every home dvd player is able to play DVD-Audio.
>>>
>>> Since I am also interested in this, I will give it a try during the
>>> next days. I have a Denon 1920, which should support SACD, DVD-Video
>>> and DVD-Audio (it explicitly says so on the cover, so I suppose there
>>> should be some DVD players which don't support DVD Audio). I will try
>>> my result out on that one as well as on xine and/or mplayer.
>>>
>>> Maybe you need the UDF file system support from your kernel? At least
>>> that's what is hinted at on the dvd audio site.
>>>
>> Thanx for for the reply.
>> I can confirm that my kernel has UDF support:
>> $ egrep -i udf /boot/config-`uname-r`
>> CONFIG_UDF_FS=m
>> CONFIG_UDF_NLS=y
>>
>> Waiting for your results.
>>
>> For WIW, here is the link for dvd audio tools:
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/dvd-audio/
>
> Well, I am coming back to this a bit late, since I had a problem
> getting DVD+R to burn on my laptop; it still doesn't work and I filed
> a post to the gentoo-users mailing list.
>
> So I managed to write a DVD-A on a DVD+RW with the following steps:
>
> dvda-author -o DVD -g *.wav
> mkisofs -o image.iso -sort sort.txt -udf DVD
> growisofs -Z /dev/sr0=image.iso
>
> I followed the howto on:
> http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net/howto.shtml
>
> I do not have the mkisofs patch applied and used the sort file from
> that howto.
>
> And on my Denon DVD-1920, an explicit SACD and DVD-A player, it plays
> fine.
>
> However, I cannot mount the so-created DVD-A using mount -t udf
> /dev/sr0 /mnt/udf; it gives me an "unknown filesystem" error.

The mkisofs manual states that UDF is alpha at this time and that you
cannot create UDF-only images. The UDF data is coupled to the Joliet
structures. Consequently you can't mount it as a UDF filesystem.
You must mount it as iso9660 or other Joliet-compatible system.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:07 PM
Rick Stevens

On 08/10/2010 03:33 PM, linux@gabriel-striewe.de wrote:
>>> So I managed to write a DVD-A on a DVD+RW with the following steps:
>>>
>>> dvda-author -o DVD -g *.wav
>>> mkisofs -o image.iso -sort sort.txt -udf DVD
>>> growisofs -Z /dev/sr0=image.iso
>>>
>>> I followed the howto on:
>>> http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net/howto.shtml
>>>
>>> I do not have the mkisofs patch applied and used the sort file from
>>> that howto.
>>>
>>> And on my Denon DVD-1920, an explicit SACD and DVD-A player, it plays
>>> fine.
>>>
>>> However, I cannot mount the so-created DVD-A using mount -t udf
>>> /dev/sr0 /mnt/udf; it gives me an "unknown filesystem" error.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Gabriel
>> Hi Gabriel,
>> Did you try to mount it with -t iso9660 instead of udf?
>>

> In fact, that worked. I had set the option "auto" in my /etc/fstab and
> mount without the "-t" option recognized the udf filesystem on the
> DVD-A and gave an "unknown filesystem error. The command "mount -t
> iso9660" as well as giving the filesystem type option iso9660 in the
> /etc/fstab-file works fine.
>
> How to play a DVD-A on the linux computer remains yet a mistery to me,
> however. Hope we'll find out soon.

Unless your computer's DVD drive supports DVD-A, you're stuck. The
drive must support DVD-A internally. The audio on DVD-A is not the
same as the audio tracks on a DVD. Totally different beast (different,
lossless encoders used, higher bitrates, etc.). It's similar to trying
to play an SACD on a non-SACD-compatible drive.

AFAIK, there are very few internal DVD-A drives available. You could
wire your Denon into the line inputs of your sound card, but I'm sure
you thought of that.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:08 PM
JD

On 08/10/2010 03:33 PM, linux@gabriel-striewe.de wrote:
>>> So I managed to write a DVD-A on a DVD+RW with the following steps:
>>>
>>> dvda-author -o DVD -g *.wav
>>> mkisofs -o image.iso -sort sort.txt -udf DVD
>>> growisofs -Z /dev/sr0=image.iso
>>>
>>> I followed the howto on:
>>> http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net/howto.shtml
>>>
>>> I do not have the mkisofs patch applied and used the sort file from
>>> that howto.
>>>
>>> And on my Denon DVD-1920, an explicit SACD and DVD-A player, it plays
>>> fine.
>>>
>>> However, I cannot mount the so-created DVD-A using mount -t udf
>>> /dev/sr0 /mnt/udf; it gives me an "unknown filesystem" error.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Gabriel
>> Hi Gabriel,
>> Did you try to mount it with -t iso9660 instead of udf?
>>
> In fact, that worked. I had set the option "auto" in my /etc/fstab and
> mount without the "-t" option recognized the udf filesystem on the
> DVD-A and gave an "unknown filesystem error. The command "mount -t
> iso9660" as well as giving the filesystem type option iso9660 in the
> /etc/fstab-file works fine.
>
> How to play a DVD-A on the linux computer remains yet a mistery to me,
> however. Hope we'll find out soon.
>
> Gabriel
I received a reply from a developer of dvda-author:
I had remarked:
> I have not been able to play the resulting DVD
> with any of the Linux media players.
> They just do not seem to recognize it.
And Fabrice replied: