Old 08-05-2010, 02:55 AM
"computersci4@juno.com"

Default several errors

How do*find Frequently asked Questions aboat fendora 13?*
my linux clock app*in linux is missing up my windows clock app in windows: my windows ,my linux. They offset each others time.*Is there a solution?
Fendora*13 does not recognize my Vizio HD Tv m220mv; therefore, it is not allowing me enter high resolution modes?*
How do i reset the fendora 13*(64 bit) kernel to run both 32-bit and 64-bit applications, so i may install avira antivirus personal on my system without causing bigger problems than I have.****

Old 08-05-2010, 03:24 AM
Jonathan Beatty

Why are you trying to install antivirus on Fedora anyway?

--
Jonathan Beatty <jonathan.beatty@gallaudet.edu>

Old 08-05-2010, 03:50 AM
James McKenzie

Jonathan Beatty wrote:
> Why are you trying to install antivirus on Fedora anyway?

Because Viruses do exist for Linux and if you are using Wine, Windows
viruses do run, some very well.

ClamAV for Linux does exist for a reason.

James McKenzie

Old 08-05-2010, 08:15 AM
"Christofer C. Bell"

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 10:50 PM, James McKenzie
<jjmckenzie51@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Jonathan Beatty wrote:
> > Why are you trying to install antivirus on Fedora anyway?
> >
> Because Viruses do exist for Linux and if you are using Wine, Windows
> viruses do run, some very well.
>
> ClamAV for Linux does exist for a reason.

The reason really has nothing to do with Linux and everything to do
with protecting Windows based computers from each other in a
heterogeneous environment where Linux is handling files that are
moving between Windows systems. (ie; email, network shares, etc).
Even then, ClamAV isn't a great solution.

If you want to scan for malware under Wine, ClamAV isn't really ideal,
either. It's just not very good software. You'd be better off finding
a Windows based product that will run in a Wine environment.

--
Chris

Old 08-05-2010, 11:36 AM

On 08/05/2010 03:24 AM, Jonathan Beatty wrote:
<snip>

> On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 02:55:07 GMT
> "computersci4@juno.com" <computersci4@juno.com> wrote:

please do not post in html.
please terminate your lines at 79 characters per line.

>> How do find Frequently asked Questions aboat fendora 13?

take your pick;

FAQ -- Master site maintained by Aaron Turner.
http://www.pobox.com/~aturner/RedHat-FAQ

Red Hat Linux Installation FAQ
http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/RedHat-FAQ/

The Unofficial Fedora FAQ
http://www.fedorafaq.org/

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAQ

FAQs - Fedora Hosted
https://fedorahosted.org/web/faq

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/FAQ

FAQ - FedoraProject
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAQ

FAQ - Current Release
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/CurrentRelease/FAQ

>> my linux clock app in linux is missing up my windows clock app in
>> windows: my windows ,my linux. They offset each others time. Is there a
>> solution?

set your bios clock to UTC, set linux clock to UTC, set ms clock to GMT.

>> Fendora 13 does not recognize my Vizio HD Tv m220mv; therefore,
>> it is not allowing me enter high resolution modes?

{answered}

>> How do i reset the fendora 13 (64 bit) kernel to run both 32-bit and
>> 64-bit applications, so i may install avira antivirus personal on my
>> system without causing bigger problems than I have.

{debated}

--

peace out.

tc,hago.

.

****
**
**
**
learn linux:
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****

Old 08-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Jonathan Beatty

Viruses exist for Linux for people who mindlessly execute everything
they're given and fail to keep current. I, personally, check every
word of every script I run.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:01 AM
James McKenzie

Jonathan Beatty wrote:
> Viruses exist for Linux for people who mindlessly execute everything
> they're given and fail to keep current. I, personally, check every
> word of every script I run.

Of course, they also exist for Macs given the same reason. I exercise
the same amount of caution you do, but not everyone does. Remember, we
have folks coming over from Windows to Linux who never grew up with UNIX.

So, we need a virus checker, and if there are any other one's around, I
don't know of them.

As to ClamWindows under Wine, most Windows AV products check several
files in Windows before installing and Wine will fail those checks.
Since Wine is a 'moving target' it would be hard to justify the expense
of the number of changes that would be needed with a two week
development cycle. Maybe when Wine becomes way more stable, but not now.

And yes, they really are out to take over your computer, you are not
paranoid...

James McKenzie