Old 08-04-2010, 03:42 PM
"John W. Linville"

Default Red Hat employees listed in manpage have blocked addresses? Unreal.

On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 11:35:59AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings list;
>
> 2 redhat employees are list as the authors of logrotate in the manpage, so
> I just sent them a question because it isn't working as expected.

On my logrotate man page, the date at the bottom is 2 Nov 2002 --
not terribly surprising that those email addresses are no good anymore!

> Both emails bounced in the time it takes my fetchmail script to go suck the
> next cycle. Effectively instantly and permanently.
>
> So how does one go about asking for logrotate help for a non-redhat
> distribution?

Open a bug at that distros bugzilla instance (or equivalent)?

> I am not running fedora atm.

Shame on you! :-)

John
--
John W. Linville The truth will set you free, but first it will
linville@redhat.com make you miserable. -- James A. Garfield

Old 08-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Gene Heskett

On Wednesday, August 04, 2010 12:13:32 pm John W. Linville did opine:

> On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 11:35:59AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings list;
> >
> > 2 redhat employees are list as the authors of logrotate in the
> > manpage, so I just sent them a question because it isn't working as
> > expected.
>
> On my logrotate man page, the date at the bottom is 2 Nov 2002 --
> not terribly surprising that those email addresses are no good anymore!

That is what I get for assuming manpages are current. Bummer.
[...]
> > I am not running fedora atm.
>
> Shame on you! :-)
>
> John

Maybe John, but for the most part, (please, no religious wars are intended)
it Just Works(TM), particularly the video & audio. And pclos uses a forum,
no bz. msg posted there now, under "logrotate won't".

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 08-04-2010, 04:52 PM
Gene Heskett

On Wednesday, August 04, 2010 12:39:53 pm Stephen Gallagher did opine:

> On 08/04/2010 11:35 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings list;
> >
> > 2 redhat employees are list as the authors of logrotate in the
> > manpage, so I just sent them a question because it isn't working as
> > expected.
>
> Obvious question: are you sure that the issue is logrotate and not the
> application whose logs you are trying to rotate?
>
> For most daemons, logrotate works by doing the following:
>
> 1) Move the logfile to a new name (e.g. daemon.log.1). This maintains
> the current file descriptors, so the daemon continues to log to the file
> at its new name.

Is this not what the copytruncate directive does?

> 2) Send a signal (SIGHUP) to the daemon. The daemon needs to be
> configured to properly receive this signal.

Yes, it can be, but for these tests, fetchmail had been killed, as well as
the tail -f on the file, so the file s/b be free of any impediments.

I can add those niceties once this is working, because if I add them and
they don't work, I at least know it _was_ working.

> The responsibility of the
> daemon is to close its current file descriptors for the log and open new
> ones at the original location (creating a new file) and then start
> logging to that one.

Since /var/log seems to be root only territory, I create the original file
and chown it to me since fetchmail, running as me, cannot create a new file
there. This is why the copytruncate is used, I found it to be much more
dependable than the "create 0600 gene:gene" directive, which seems to be
rejected because it tries to do that as the user gene who doesn't have
perms to create a file in /var/log. FWIW, copytruncate has worked well for
exactly this function for several years now.

> 3) Optionally compress the old log file and/or remove any log file
> backups older than a configured number of revisions.
>

> So my question to you is: are you sure that step 2 isn't where it's
> failing? Because in general, logrotate is pretty simple code and there
> aren't a lot of opportunities for it to misbehave.

That is why I'm asking for help, it seems to be misbehaving. ;-)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)