Old 08-03-2010, 11:38 PM
Paul Smith

Default Leaving firefox running remotely through a ssh connection

Dear All,

I am remotely running firefox through a ssh connection with the
following command:

firefox -no-remote &

and everything works fine. However, I would like to leave firefox
running remotely after quitting the ssh connection. Is that possible?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Old 08-03-2010, 11:54 PM
JD

On 08/03/2010 04:38 PM, Paul Smith wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am remotely running firefox through a ssh connection with the
> following command:
>
> firefox -no-remote&
>
> and everything works fine. However, I would like to leave firefox
> running remotely after quitting the ssh connection. Is that possible?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Paul

you can do this:

nohup firefox -no-remote &

And it will remain running after you log out.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:11 AM
Paul Smith

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 12:54 AM, JD <jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am remotely running firefox through a ssh connection with the
>> following command:
>>
>> firefox -no-remote&
>>
>> and everything works fine. However, I would like to leave firefox
>> running remotely after quitting the ssh connection. Is that possible?
>
> you can do this:
>
> nohup firefox -no-remote &
>
> And it will remain running after you log out.

Thanks, but I cannot logout (it gets stuck) after I run a X
application. Any ideas?

Paul

Old 08-04-2010, 12:22 AM
suvayu ali

On 3 August 2010 17:11, Paul Smith <phhs80@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 12:54 AM, JD <jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I am remotely running firefox through a ssh connection with the
>>> following command:
>>>
>>> firefox -no-remote&
>>>
>>> and everything works fine. However, I would like to leave firefox
>>> running remotely after quitting the ssh connection. Is that possible?
>>
>> you can do this:
>>
>> nohup firefox -no-remote &
>>
>> And it will remain running after you log out.
>
> Thanks, but I cannot logout (it gets stuck) after I run a X
> application. Any ideas?

If you don't mind my asking, why do you want to keep it running? I
can't see a possible use case since there is no way to connect to a
running session of firefox. In fact if you try to run firefox on the
same machine as the same user, it will complain that another session
is running and you need to close that.

If your intention is to keep a constantly running firefox session
which you want to connect to at some point in time in the future, then
I would suggest you run a VNC (or some other remote desktop protocol)
and start firefox from there. So something like this should work,

paul@remote-host $ vncserver :<display> -geometry <desired_resolution>

Then locally start a vnc client of some kind (vncviewer, tigervnc,
remmina, ... ) and connect to the remote machine and start firefox.
Now every time you connect with a vnc client you will have access to
the same firefox session.

> Paul

GL

--
Suvayu

Old 08-04-2010, 01:34 AM
JD

On 08/03/2010 05:11 PM, Paul Smith wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 12:54 AM, JD<jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I am remotely running firefox through a ssh connection with the
>>> following command:
>>>
>>> firefox -no-remote&
>>>
>>> and everything works fine. However, I would like to leave firefox
>>> running remotely after quitting the ssh connection. Is that possible?
>> you can do this:
>>
>> nohup firefox -no-remote&
>>
>> And it will remain running after you log out.
> Thanks, but I cannot logout (it gets stuck) after I run a X
> application. Any ideas?
>
> Paul
I don't understand what you are saying.
Firefox IS an X client.
You run nohum firefox .... &
and you log out and it gets stuck????

Is this what you are saying??

Old 08-04-2010, 01:59 AM
Ed Greshko

On 08/04/2010 07:38 AM, Paul Smith wrote:
> I am remotely running firefox through a ssh connection with the
> following command:
>
> firefox -no-remote &
>
> and everything works fine. However, I would like to leave firefox
> running remotely after quitting the ssh connection. Is that possible?

Not exactly sure as to your requirements.... But, on the local machine
why not run:

ssh -Xf remote.com "firefox -no-remote"

--
What we do not understand we do not possess. -- Goethe 葛斯克 愛德華 /
台北市八德路四段

Old 08-04-2010, 01:55 PM
Mike Klinke

On Tuesday 03 August 2010 18:38, Paul Smith wrote:

> However, I would like to leave firefox
> running remotely after quitting the ssh connection. Is that
> possible?

Another handy option might be to use vncserver/vncviewer to run the
remote machine over the network. You can also optionally connect
through an ssh connection if you're trying to avoid the prying eyes
of tcpdump etc. :

Remote Machine:
---------------
$ vncserver :1

Local Machine:

Old 08-04-2010, 01:55 PM
Paul Smith

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 1:22 AM, suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> you can do this:
>>>
>>> nohup firefox -no-remote &
>>>
>>> And it will remain running after you log out.
>>
>> Thanks, but I cannot logout (it gets stuck) after I run a X
>> application. Any ideas?
>>

> If you don't mind my asking, why do you want to keep it running? I
> can't see a possible use case since there is no way to connect to a
> running session of firefox. In fact if you try to run firefox on the
> same machine as the same user, it will complain that another session
> is running and you need to close that.
>
> If your intention is to keep a constantly running firefox session
> which you want to connect to at some point in time in the future, then
> I would suggest you run a VNC (or some other remote desktop protocol)
> and start firefox from there. So something like this should work,
>
> paul@remote-host $ vncserver :<display> -geometry <desired_resolution>
>
> Then locally start a vnc client of some kind (vncviewer, tigervnc,
> remmina, ... ) and connect to the remote machine and start firefox.
> Now every time you connect with a vnc client you will have access to
> the same firefox session.

Yes, my intention is to keep a constantly firefox session, which I
want to connect to at some point in time in the future. Thanks for
suggesting me VNC. I will try it, but meanwhile I have a question: can
the VNC session be seen by someone nearby the remote computer?

Paul

Old 08-04-2010, 01:59 PM
Paul Smith

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 2:34 AM, JD <jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> you can do this:
>>>
>>> nohup firefox -no-remote&
>>>
>>> And it will remain running after you log out.
>> Thanks, but I cannot logout (it gets stuck) after I run a X
>> application. Any ideas?
>>
>> Paul
> I don't understand what you are saying.
> Firefox IS an X client.
> You run nohum firefox .... &
> and you log out and it gets stuck????
>

> Is this what you are saying??

Yes, that is it. I have searched the Internet for further information,
and I have got some references to this problem:

http://fixunix.com/networking/10827-ssh-x-user-server-hangs-logout.html

Paul

Old 08-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Paul Smith

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 2:55 PM, Mike Klinke <lsomike@futzin.com> wrote:
>> However, I would like to leave firefox
>> running remotely after quitting the ssh connection. Is that
>> possible?
>
> Another handy option might be to use vncserver/vncviewer to run the
> remote machine over the network. *You can also optionally connect
> through an ssh connection if you're trying to avoid the prying eyes
> of tcpdump etc. :
>

> Remote Machine:
> $ vncserver :1
>

> Local Machine:
> $ ssh -f -N -L 5900:localhost:5900 <user>@<remote IP>
> $ vncviewer localhost

Thanks, Mike. Concerning the suggested way, I have a question: can
someone nearby the remote computer see what I do on the vnc session?

Paul