FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-03-2010, 09:00 PM
"Mark W. Jeanmougin"
 
Default Intel 82574L on SuperMicro S8SIL-F (Fix!)

Hello All,

There are a few threads in the archives about people having trouble
with the 82574L Intel Ethernet controller. I have a SuperMicro
S8SIL-F board with two of these chips. I couldn't get either of them
to work reliably.

To fix it, I went into the BIOS, set things back to default, then
changed the ACPI version to 3.0. Now things work OK.

This is under Fedora 13, x86_64, with kernel rpm
kernel-2.6.33.6-147.2.4.fc13.x86_64

I was using the Intel Ethernet driver, which worked fine, but this is
much more convenient. I hope that someone else can learn from what
I've been going through.

Have a nice day!

Mark Jeanmougin
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 08-04-2010, 01:23 AM
Michael Cronenworth
 
Default Intel 82574L on SuperMicro S8SIL-F (Fix!)

On 08/03/2010 04:00 PM, Mark W. Jeanmougin wrote:
> To fix it, I went into the BIOS, set things back to default, then
> changed the ACPI version to 3.0. Now things work OK.

Actually, that's not the fix. I thought this 'fixed' it too, but you'll
have a broken network in a few hours.

The fix is to disable PCI-E ASPM. In the BIOS there is an option for
Active State Power Management, and you need to set it to disabled.

There is a hardware flaw in the 82574L that prevents ASPM from working.

Reference this thread:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2908463&group_id=42302&atid=44744 9
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 08-16-2010, 07:21 PM
"Mark W. Jeanmougin"
 
Default Intel 82574L on SuperMicro S8SIL-F (Fix!)

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 21:23, Michael Cronenworth <mike@cchtml.com> wrote:
> *On 08/03/2010 04:00 PM, Mark W. Jeanmougin wrote:
>> To fix it, I went into the BIOS, set things back to default, then
>> changed the ACPI version to 3.0. *Now things work OK.
>
> Actually, that's not the fix. I thought this 'fixed' it too, but you'll
> have a broken network in a few hours.

Yup!

> The fix is to disable PCI-E ASPM. In the BIOS there is an option for
> Active State Power Management, and you need to set it to disabled.

That didn't work for me.

> There is a hardware flaw in the 82574L that prevents ASPM from working.
>
> Reference this thread:
> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2908463&group_id=42302&atid=44744 9

Thanks for the link!

I was able to add "pcie_aspm=off" as a kernel parameter. Now, things
seem to work again. We'll see how long this lasts before something
else breaks.

As a side note, the NIC doesn't properly activate on boot. I get a
message saying that there is no link present, check cable. A simple
"ifup eth0" gets packets moving again. This NIC seems to leave much
to be desired.

MJ
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:16 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org