Old 01-18-2008, 01:14 PM
"John BORIS"

Default Correct instal for AMD Sempron Processor

I have an AMD Sempron 3600+ processor in a Biostar Motherboard. I am
using an LSI 320-1 RAID controller with 5 75gb SCA drives in RAID 5
array. I installed Fedora 8 x86_64 from DVD. When the system starts it
will panic and it looks like the RAID controller. Is this correct
install for this setup or should I use the 1386 version?

Has anyone on te list installed Fedora 8 on an LSI setup?

I have two other servers with LSI RAID controllers but they are running
Fedora Core 3.

TIA

I tried searching the archive but it is a bit cumbersome.

John J. Boris, Sr.
JEN-A-SyS Administrator
Archdiocese of Philadelphia

"Remember! That light at the end of the tunnel
Just might be the headlight of an oncoming train!"

Old 01-18-2008, 01:42 PM
John Summerfield

John BORIS wrote:

I have an AMD Sempron 3600+ processor in a Biostar Motherboard. I am
using an LSI 320-1 RAID controller with 5 75gb SCA drives in RAID 5
array. I installed Fedora 8 x86_64 from DVD. When the system starts it
will panic and it looks like the RAID controller. Is this correct
install for this setup or should I use the 1386 version?

Odds are good that if you've installed it it's okay. Last time I tried
something similar, it was a kernel for a Pentium II and I was trying to
install to a Pentium. Or I moved a drive; something of the kind.

However, it may be that the IA32 version will treat the RAID controller
more kindly. What does Google say?

Has anyone on te list installed Fedora 8 on an LSI setup?

I have two other servers with LSI RAID controllers but they are running
Fedora Core 3.

32-bit?

Try FC3 on the new box. Or CentOS 4.

TIA

I tried searching the archive but it is a bit cumbersome.

Google search:
some words site:redhat.com

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 01-18-2008, 01:42 PM
Blake Hudson

Earlier Semprons were basically rebadged AthlonXP processors. However,
that speed Sempron (assuming it's not OC'd) should be a Manilla core in
an AM2 socket, which means it has AMD64 support. Either FC8 x86_64 or
i686/i386 compiled binaries should work fine.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:53 PM
"Michael A. Peters"

John BORIS wrote:

I have an AMD Sempron 3600+ processor in a Biostar Motherboard. I am
using an LSI 320-1 RAID controller with 5 75gb SCA drives in RAID 5
array. I installed Fedora 8 x86_64 from DVD. When the system starts it
will panic and it looks like the RAID controller. Is this correct
install for this setup or should I use the 1386 version?
No experience with your board or raid controller, but i386 install works
fine on 64 bit amd processors.
Unless you specifically know you need 64 bit, it usually is better to
install 32 bit (i386).

Old 01-18-2008, 01:55 PM
"John BORIS"

Thanks to all the quick replies.
Since this is a new install I am going to install the i686/i386 version
and see what happens. All I will loose is time spent.
My search on Google really was no help. I got a lot of results for old
8 but not with my setup so as usual I am on an island.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:02 PM
John Summerfield

John BORIS wrote:

Thanks to all the quick replies.
Since this is a new install I am going to install the i686/i386 version
and see what happens. All I will loose is time spent.
My search on Google really was no help. I got a lot of results for old
8 but not with my setup so as usual I am on an island.

If you googled for FC8 I wouldn't expect you to get may hits. These
days, it's Core no longer, just Fedora.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:54 PM
Alan Cox

> Unless you specifically know you need 64 bit, it usually is better to
> install 32 bit (i386).

64bit is usually faster but means a bit more fun with firefox plugins
like flash. If you have 1GB or more RAM (and especially 4GB or more) then
64bit is enormously faster and more solid.

Alan