Old 08-02-2010, 12:22 PM
Parshwa Murdia

Default Updating JRE (Java)

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 5:43 PM, Frank Murphy <frankly3d@gmail.com> wrote:

friend of fedora, i was asking for update only and not reinstalling!!

Parshwa Murdia

Old 08-02-2010, 12:23 PM
Frank Murphy

On 02/08/10 13:22, Parshwa Murdia wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 5:43 PM, Frank Murphy<frankly3d@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> friend of fedora, i was asking for update only and not reinstalling!!

You cannot update jre, it is always a full clean out (optional) and
reinstall.
Even on Windows

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of Fedora

Old 08-02-2010, 01:54 PM
Mauriat Miranda

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 8:23 AM, Frank Murphy <frankly3d@gmail.com> wrote:

> You cannot update jre, it is always a full clean out (optional) and
> reinstall.
> Even on Windows

If you install the Sun JRE using the RPM and made sure to setup the
proper symlinks, then the update is just one single 'rpm' command.

--
Mauriat Miranda
http://www.mjmwired.net/linux

Old 08-02-2010, 03:09 PM
Parshwa Murdia

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 5:53 PM, Frank Murphy <frankly3d@gmail.com> wrote:

> You cannot update jre, it is always a full clean out (optional) and
> reinstall.
> Even on Windows

Really?

Parshwa Murdia

Old 08-02-2010, 03:10 PM
Parshwa Murdia

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 7:24 PM, Mauriat Miranda <mlists@mjmwired.com> wrote:

> If you install the Sun JRE using the RPM and made sure to setup the
> proper symlinks, *then the update is just one single 'rpm' command.

I installed using the following:

http://sites.google.com/site/indiadoor/java-jre

Now what do you think, I should use the command for rpm?

Parshwa Murdia

Old 08-02-2010, 03:12 PM
Parshwa Murdia

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 7:24 PM, Mauriat Miranda <mlists@mjmwired.com> wrote:

> If you install the Sun JRE using the RPM and made sure to setup the
> proper symlinks, *then the update is just one single 'rpm' command.

Oh, I installed using 'yum'!

Parshwa Murdia

Old 08-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Frank Murphy

On 02/08/10 16:09, Parshwa Murdia wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 5:53 PM, Frank Murphy<frankly3d@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> You cannot update jre, it is always a full clean out (optional) and
>> reinstall.
>> Even on Windows
>

> Really?

You get to keep the pieces.

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of Fedora

Old 08-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Mauriat Miranda

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 11:10 AM, Parshwa Murdia <b330bkn@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 7:24 PM, Mauriat Miranda <mlists@mjmwired.com> wrote:
>
>> If you install the Sun JRE using the RPM and made sure to setup the
>> proper symlinks, *then the update is just one single 'rpm' command.
>

> I installed using the following:
>
> http://sites.google.com/site/indiadoor/java-jre
>
> Now what do you think, I should use the command for rpm?

Sorry, because you used those instructions there is NO easy way to update.
You need to redo *every* step.

-OR-

You can undo all those steps and install the RPM.
There are guides on the web on how to install the Sun JRE RPM and
setup all the proper links.

Similar amount of work, but the RPM I think is easier.

Also, the Sun JRE is not included in the standard fedora YUM repositories.

--
Mauriat Miranda
http://www.mjmwired.net/linux

Old 08-02-2010, 03:27 PM
Frank Murphy

On 02/08/10 16:25, Mauriat Miranda wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 11:10 AM, Parshwa Murdia<b330bkn@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 7:24 PM, Mauriat Miranda<mlists@mjmwired.com> wrote:
>>
>>> If you install the Sun JRE using the RPM and made sure to setup the
>>> proper symlinks, then the update is just one single 'rpm' command.
>>

>> I installed using the following:
>>
>> http://sites.google.com/site/indiadoor/java-jre
>>
>> Now what do you think, I should use the command for rpm?
>
> Sorry, because you used those instructions there is NO easy way to update.
> You need to redo *every* step.

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of Fedora

Old 08-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Parshwa Murdia

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 8:49 PM, Frank Murphy <frankly3d@gmail.com> wrote:

> You get to keep the pieces.

No, two parts are not pieces, more that that is pieces!

Parshwa Murdia