Old 08-02-2010, 10:39 AM
Timothy Murphy

Default Menu Editor

I've added an entry with Menu Editor (right click on f-button in panel)
to enable ssh -Y <remote host>.
I've set "Run in terminal" on the Advanced tab.

This works, except that I get a white-on-black screen
with nothing at the top of the screen to change this.

On another laptop, with exactly the Menu Editor setting
I get a nice page with the usual File-Edit-View tabs at the top.

I'm wondering what actually sets the look of the screen?
Is it a default konsole setting, or is it something to do with ssh?
Or perhaps a shell setting?

I see that there is Menu Editor setting with "Run in terminal"
to set Terminal options, but nothing I have tried there
has has any effect.

I should say that I am running Fedora-13/KDE on this laptop.
Any and all advice gratefully received.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Joachim Backes

On 08/02/10 12:39, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I've added an entry with Menu Editor (right click on f-button in panel)
> to enable ssh -Y <remote host>.
> I've set "Run in terminal" on the Advanced tab.
>
> This works, except that I get a white-on-black screen
> with nothing at the top of the screen to change this.
>
> On another laptop, with exactly the Menu Editor setting
> I get a nice page with the usual File-Edit-View tabs at the top.
>
> I'm wondering what actually sets the look of the screen?
> Is it a default konsole setting, or is it something to do with ssh?
> Or perhaps a shell setting?
>
> I see that there is Menu Editor setting with "Run in terminal"
> to set Terminal options, but nothing I have tried there
> has has any effect.
>
> I should say that I am running Fedora-13/KDE on this laptop.
> Any and all advice gratefully received.

Tim,

I tried that (under gnome), but all OK (gnome-terminal started
automatically, no such behaviour as you described, no modified screen
layout). Your terminal is gnome-terminal?

http://www.rhrk.uni-kl.de/~backes

Old 08-02-2010, 11:17 AM
Ed Greshko

On 08/02/2010 06:39 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I've added an entry with Menu Editor (right click on f-button in panel)
> to enable ssh -Y <remote host>.
> I've set "Run in terminal" on the Advanced tab.
>
> This works, except that I get a white-on-black screen
> with nothing at the top of the screen to change this.
>
> On another laptop, with exactly the Menu Editor setting
> I get a nice page with the usual File-Edit-View tabs at the top.
>
> I'm wondering what actually sets the look of the screen?
> Is it a default konsole setting, or is it something to do with ssh?
> Or perhaps a shell setting?
>
> I see that there is Menu Editor setting with "Run in terminal"
> to set Terminal options, but nothing I have tried there
> has has any effect.
>
> I should say that I am running Fedora-13/KDE on this laptop.
> Any and all advice gratefully received.

Works fine here in F13 under KDE. The "terminal" in use is konsole. I
have created a profile with the settings that I want...white background,
black text. In the menu item in the Advanced section I specify terminal
options with --profile and the name of the created profile.

FYI/FWIW, typing "konsole --help" gives you the available command options.

--
Serving coffee on aircraft causes turbulence. 葛斯克 愛德華 / 台北市八德
路四段

Old 08-02-2010, 12:12 PM
Timothy Murphy

Ed Greshko wrote:

>> I've added an entry with Menu Editor (right click on f-button in panel)
>> to enable ssh -Y <remote host>.
>> I've set "Run in terminal" on the Advanced tab.
>>
>> This works, except that I get a white-on-black screen
>> with nothing at the top of the screen to change this.
>>
>> On another laptop, with exactly the Menu Editor setting
>> I get a nice page with the usual File-Edit-View tabs at the top.

>> I should say that I am running Fedora-13/KDE on this laptop.
>> Any and all advice gratefully received.
>
> Works fine here in F13 under KDE. The "terminal" in use is konsole. I
> have created a profile with the settings that I want...white background,
> black text. In the menu item in the Advanced section I specify terminal
> options with --profile and the name of the created profile.

Thanks for your response.
I tried your suggestion, entering "--profile Default" in Terminal options,
but it seemed to have no effect.
My Default profile is black on light yellow.

As I mentioned I have no problems on other laptops.
(I'm in Italy at the moment, and only have this laptop.)
It's not a serious problem, as I can get the desired effect
by opening a konsole window and typing in the command "ssh -Y helen-vpn".

But I'm puzzled as to what is controlling the terminal settings.

I don't think it is just a konsole problem
as the window lacks the usual File-Edit-View heading.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:15 PM
Timothy Murphy

Joachim Backes wrote:

>> I've added an entry with Menu Editor (right click on f-button in panel)
>> to enable ssh -Y <remote host>.
>> I've set "Run in terminal" on the Advanced tab.
>>
>> This works, except that I get a white-on-black screen
>> with nothing at the top of the screen to change this.

>> I should say that I am running Fedora-13/KDE on this laptop.

> I tried that (under gnome), but all OK (gnome-terminal started
> automatically, no such behaviour as you described, no modified screen
> layout). Your terminal is gnome-terminal?

Thanks for your response.
My terminal is konsole.
As I mentioned, I only have the problem on this laptop.
It works fine on several other computers.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Ed Greshko

On 08/02/2010 08:12 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> But I'm puzzled as to what is controlling the terminal settings.

Well, earlier you said: "This works, except that I get a white-on-black
screen with nothing at the top of the screen to change this". Does
that mean the terminal that is opened when you click on the menu item
has no border or menu? Since the terminal options are seemingly
ignored, I wonder if it is actually konsole that is being used.

--
QOTD: "Of course there's no reason for it, it's just our policy." 葛斯克
愛德華 / 台北市八德路四段

Old 08-02-2010, 01:24 PM
"Christofer C. Bell"

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 7:38 AM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com> wrote:
> *On 08/02/2010 08:12 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> But I'm puzzled as to what is controlling the terminal settings.
>
> Well, earlier you said: "This works, except that I get a white-on-black
> screen with nothing at the top of the screen to change this". * Does
> that mean the terminal that is opened when you click on the menu item
> has no border or menu? * Since the terminal options are seemingly
> ignored, I wonder if it is actually konsole that is being used.

Ed,

I'm wondering the same thing.

Timothy,

When you launch your application and are seeing the unexpected
behavior, can you use ps -ef to check to see if what you're actually
using is perhaps xterm? If you hold down Control and then press the
left mouse button with the cursor in the window, do you get a menu in
an old fashioned font with the heading "Main Options"?

--
Chris

Old 08-02-2010, 11:43 PM
Timothy Murphy

Ed Greshko wrote:

> Well, earlier you said: "This works, except that I get a white-on-black
> screen with nothing at the top of the screen to change this". Does
> that mean the terminal that is opened when you click on the menu item
> has no border or menu? Since the terminal options are seemingly
> ignored, I wonder if it is actually konsole that is being used.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I very much suspect that you are right,
and the command creates an xterm window -
I created a window in another desktop with "xterm &",
and it looks exactly the same.

But if so, what determines that xterm is used, rather than konsole?

I guess I could study "man xterm", to see how to change the colours,
but it would be much easier to change to konsole, if that is possible.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:27 AM
Ed Greshko

On 08/03/2010 07:43 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion.
> I very much suspect that you are right,
> and the command creates an xterm window -
> I created a window in another desktop with "xterm &",
> and it looks exactly the same.
>
> But if so, what determines that xterm is used, rather than konsole?

That is a very good question/mystery. I thought that it may have been
determined by the "Preferred Applications" setting. However, changing
it to xterm on my system and logging out/in didn't recreate your problem.

I also thought that maybe creating the menu item embedded the terminal
command in the menu file/item. That also proved wrong....

[egreshko@f13 init.d]$ cat
/home/egreshko/.local/share/applications/misty - ssh.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Comment=
Exec=ssh -Y 192.168.0.198
Name=misty - ssh
NoDisplay=false
Path[$e]=$HOME/
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=1
TerminalOptions=--profile Misty
Type=Application
X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
X-KDE-Username=

So, I don't know what determines which terminal application will be used
by the menu. I hope to have some time later in the day to explore as
this "bugging" me. :-)

--
God is love, but get it in writing. -- Gypsy Rose Lee 葛斯克 愛德華 / 台
北市八德路四段

Old 08-03-2010, 04:03 AM
Antonio Olivares

> > Well, earlier you said: "This works, except that I get
> a white-on-black
> > screen with nothing at the top of the screen to change
> this".***Does
> > that mean the terminal that is opened when you click
> on the menu item
> > has no border or menu?***Since the
> terminal options are seemingly
> > ignored, I wonder if it is actually konsole that is
> being used.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.
> I very much suspect that you are right,
> and the command creates an xterm window -
> I created a window in another desktop with "xterm &",
> and it looks exactly the same.
>
> But if so, what determines that xterm is used, rather than
> konsole?
>
> I guess I could study "man xterm", to see how to change the
> colours,
> but it would be much easier to change to konsole, if that
> is possible.
>

> --

The colors can be changed see what does the following do:

xterm -display :0 -bg black -fg white

and you can invert it the other way and find one setting that you are happy with

Regards,

Antonio