Old 08-02-2010, 03:13 AM
Dave Stevens

Default Realtek RTL8192E drivers for F13?

Hi,

I'm booting a usb drive of F13 live on my Samsung N220 to test a
permanent installation. It seems like to only showstopper is wireless
with no apparent support for this chip. Is there actually support
available with updates? At the moment I have no wired access although
I can arrange this. If I can install and update to a working driver
that'd work. Or is there support in some non-Red Hat repo?

Dave

--
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
Krishnamurti

Old 08-02-2010, 06:53 AM
JD

On 08/01/2010 08:13 PM, Dave Stevens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm booting a usb drive of F13 live on my Samsung N220 to test a
> permanent installation. It seems like to only showstopper is wireless
> with no apparent support for this chip. Is there actually support
> available with updates? At the moment I have no wired access although
> I can arrange this. If I can install and update to a working driver
> that'd work. Or is there support in some non-Red Hat repo?
>
> Dave

Hi Dave,
The rtl8192e is an unsupported driver and is placed
in the source code directory under
drivers/staging/rtl8192e/

You will have to get the source code of the kernel,
and run make xconfig and go to the staging tab
on the left hand side, and select your rtl8192e
and save.
well, ... you know the rest.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:47 AM
JD

On 08/01/2010 08:13 PM, Dave Stevens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm booting a usb drive of F13 live on my Samsung N220 to test a
> permanent installation. It seems like to only showstopper is wireless
> with no apparent support for this chip. Is there actually support
> available with updates? At the moment I have no wired access although
> I can arrange this. If I can install and update to a working driver
> that'd work. Or is there support in some non-Red Hat repo?
>
> Dave

Hi Dave,
The rtl8192e is an unsupported driver and is placed
in the source code under

Old 08-02-2010, 08:41 AM
Ed Greshko

> I'm booting a usb drive of F13 live on my Samsung N220 to test a
> permanent installation. It seems like to only showstopper is wireless
> with no apparent support for this chip. Is there actually support
> available with updates? At the moment I have no wired access although
> I can arrange this. If I can install and update to a working driver
> that'd work. Or is there support in some non-Red Hat repo?

FWIW, a google search about this shows that some folks have had success
using the Windows XP drivers and ndiswrapper on other distros. YMMV.

--
Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. -- Daniel
Hudson Burnham 葛斯克 愛德華 / 台北市八德路四段

Old 08-03-2010, 07:26 AM
Gilboa Davara

On Sun, 2010-08-01 at 20:13 -0700, Dave Stevens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm booting a usb drive of F13 live on my Samsung N220 to test a
> permanent installation. It seems like to only showstopper is wireless
> with no apparent support for this chip. Is there actually support
> available with updates? At the moment I have no wired access although
> I can arrange this. If I can install and update to a working driver
> that'd work. Or is there support in some non-Red Hat repo?
>
> Dave

8192E or 8192SE?

- Gilboa

Old 08-04-2010, 01:57 AM
Dave Stevens

On Tuesday, August 03, 2010 12:26:24 am Gilboa Davara wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-08-01 at 20:13 -0700, Dave Stevens wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm booting a usb drive of F13 live on my Samsung N220 to test a
> > permanent installation. It seems like to only showstopper is wireless
> > with no apparent support for this chip. Is there actually support
> > available with updates? At the moment I have no wired access although
> > I can arrange this. If I can install and update to a working driver
> > that'd work. Or is there support in some non-Red Hat repo?
> >
> > Dave
>
> 8192E or 8192SE?

RTL8192E

Dave

Old 08-05-2010, 08:47 AM
Gilboa Davara

On Tue, 2010-08-03 at 18:57 -0700, Dave Stevens wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 03, 2010 12:26:24 am Gilboa Davara wrote:
> > On Sun, 2010-08-01 at 20:13 -0700, Dave Stevens wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm booting a usb drive of F13 live on my Samsung N220 to test a
> > > permanent installation. It seems like to only showstopper is wireless
> > > with no apparent support for this chip. Is there actually support
> > > available with updates? At the moment I have no wired access although
> > > I can arrange this. If I can install and update to a working driver
> > > that'd work. Or is there support in some non-Red Hat repo?
> > >
> > > Dave
> >
> > 8192E or 8192SE?
>
> RTL8192E
>
> Dave

By looking at the RTL website, it seems that 8192E had no Linux support.
As such, the only alternative is ndiswrapper + XP drivers.

- Gilboa

Old 08-05-2010, 09:44 AM
Ed Greshko

On 08/05/2010 04:47 PM, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-08-03 at 18:57 -0700, Dave Stevens wrote:

>>> 8192E or 8192SE?
>> RTL8192E
>>
>> Dave
> By looking at the RTL website, it seems that 8192E had no Linux support.
> As such, the only alternative is ndiswrapper + XP drivers.

You can email to wlanfae@realtek.com and ask for the Linux drivers.
They will send you the source code with the instructions on how to
install. They will also help you if you run into problems.

Ed

Old 08-06-2010, 01:45 AM
JD

On 08/05/2010 01:47 AM, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-08-03 at 18:57 -0700, Dave Stevens wrote:

>>> 8192E or 8192SE?
>> RTL8192E
>>
>> Dave
> By looking at the RTL website, it seems that 8192E had no Linux support.
> As such, the only alternative is ndiswrapper + XP drivers.
>
> - Gilboa

I would first try and download a kernel source tarball from kernel.org,
and run make xconfig and select rtl8192e from among
drivers -> staging -> rtl8292e

compile that kernel and install it and boot with and see if it will
bring up the interface before you go for the ultra kludgey and extremely
unreliable ndiswrapper.
I am running kernel linux-2.6.35-git1 on F13 from kernel.org and
in the source tree I see:
/tmp/kernel-2.6.35/linux-2.6.35-git1/drivers/staging/rtl8192e

I do not have this interface so I do not build it.

Good luck,

JD

Old 08-06-2010, 04:39 AM
Dave Stevens

Quoting JD <jd1008@gmail.com>:

> On 08/05/2010 01:47 AM, Gilboa Davara wrote:

>>> RTL8192E
>>>
>>> Dave
>> By looking at the RTL website, it seems that 8192E had no Linux support.
>> As such, the only alternative is ndiswrapper + XP drivers.
>>
>> - Gilboa
>>
> I would first try and download a kernel source tarball from kernel.org,
> and run make xconfig and select rtl8192e from among
> drivers -> staging -> rtl8292e
>
> compile that kernel and install it and boot with and see if it will
> bring up the interface before you go for the ultra kludgey and extremely
> unreliable ndiswrapper.
> I am running kernel linux-2.6.35-git1 on F13 from kernel.org and
> in the source tree I see:
> /tmp/kernel-2.6.35/linux-2.6.35-git1/drivers/staging/rtl8192e
>
> I do not have this interface so I do not build it.
>
> Good luck,
>
> JD

thank you. If the driver is in staging does that imply its routine
availability in F14?