Old 08-01-2010, 04:31 AM
JD

Default resampling mp3 files at a higher bitrate

Greetings,
I tried to re-sample an MP3 file from 64kbps to 320kbps :

ffmpeg -i file.mp3 -ac 2 -b 320k new-file.mp3

but the resulting file always comes out at 64kbps.

What's the trick to doing this right?

Old 08-01-2010, 05:47 AM
Tim

On Sat, 2010-07-31 at 21:31 -0700, JD wrote:
> I tried to re-sample an MP3 file from 64kbps to 320kbps :
>
> ffmpeg -i file.mp3 -ac 2 -b 320k new-file.mp3
>
> but the resulting file always comes out at 64kbps.

You have a syntax error

-b for video bitrate setting
-ab for audio bitrate setting

What are you trying to gain? You can't make a lossy MPEG better by
recompressing it at a higher bitrate. It's actually going to get worse,
since it's going to get decoded, then another lossy recompression is
going to happen.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:56 AM
Roberto Ragusa

JD wrote:
> Greetings,
> I tried to re-sample an MP3 file from 64kbps to 320kbps :
>
> ffmpeg -i file.mp3 -ac 2 -b 320k new-file.mp3
>
> but the resulting file always comes out at 64kbps.
>
> What's the trick to doing this right?

Using -ab instead of -b.

You *do* know that what you want to do is not really
smart, right? :-)

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it

Old 08-01-2010, 02:32 PM
JD

On 07/31/2010 10:47 PM, Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-07-31 at 21:31 -0700, JD wrote:
>> I tried to re-sample an MP3 file from 64kbps to 320kbps :
>>
>> ffmpeg -i file.mp3 -ac 2 -b 320k new-file.mp3
>>
>> but the resulting file always comes out at 64kbps.
> You have a syntax error
>
> -b for video bitrate setting
> -ab for audio bitrate setting
>
> What are you trying to gain? You can't make a lossy MPEG better by
> recompressing it at a higher bitrate. It's actually going to get worse,
> since it's going to get decoded, then another lossy recompression is
> going to happen.

I see!! Thanks for the info!