Old 07-31-2010, 06:26 PM
"D. VITELLIUS REGULUS"

Default Newb question

Is there any programs i can use to install .exe files to Fedora 13?

Investigator, Embassy Investigations.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:31 PM
Frank Murphy

On 31/07/10 19:26, D. VITELLIUS REGULUS wrote:
> Is there any programs i can use to install .exe files to Fedora 13?
>
> Investigator, Embassy Investigations.

wine ymmv

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of Fedora

Old 07-31-2010, 06:35 PM
JD

On Saturday, July 31, 2010, D. VITELLIUS REGULUS <liberty@policeone.com> wrote:
> Is there any programs i can use to install .exe files to Fedora 13?
>
> Investigator, Embassy Investigations.

not sure what you mean by install.
If you mean a util like yum or rpm
then the answer is no.
If you want to execute a wondows .exe
then you have to run wine
and gove that filename as the arg

Old 07-31-2010, 06:52 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Sat, 2010-07-31 at 12:35 -0600, JD wrote:
> On Saturday, July 31, 2010, D. VITELLIUS REGULUS <liberty@policeone.com> wrote:
> > Is there any programs i can use to install .exe files to Fedora 13?
[...]
> If you want to execute a wondows .exe
> then you have to run wine

Or a Windows virtual machine.

poc

Old 07-31-2010, 08:25 PM
"D. VITELLIUS REGULUS"

Thanks for the tip wine wmmv it works great
Investigator, Embassy Investigations.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:15 PM
Gene Heskett

On Saturday, July 31, 2010 06:13:21 pm D. VITELLIUS REGULUS did opine:

> Is there any programs i can use to install .exe files to Fedora 13?
>
> Investigator, Embassy Investigations.

I get the impression this one came from a hacker, looking for some way to
exploit linux.

If you come back again, please come back with a believable name, and a
believable return address. This msg sets off all sorts of red lights and
alarms.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 07-31-2010, 11:43 PM
James McKenzie

D. VITELLIUS REGULUS wrote:
> Thanks for the tip wine wmmv it works great
> Investigator, Embassy Investigations.

Any further questions on Wine need to be address to the wine-users
mailing list.

You might want to edit your signature line while you are at it to
include your proper name as well.

James McKenzie

Old 08-01-2010, 04:50 AM
"Christofer C. Bell"

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 5:15 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, July 31, 2010 06:13:21 pm D. VITELLIUS REGULUS did opine:
>
>> Is there any programs i can use to install .exe files to Fedora 13?
>>
>> Investigator, Embassy Investigations.
>
> I get the impression this one came from a hacker, looking for some way to
> exploit linux.
>
> If you come back again, please come back with a believable name, and a
> believable return address. *This msg sets off all sorts of red lights and
> alarms.

Can you elaborate a bit? The OP is apparently a member of a
PoliceOne. Have you actually taken a look at that site?

http://www.policeone.com/

"PoliceOne.com is the #1 resource for up-to-the-minute law enforcement
information online. More than 200,000 police professionals nationwide
are registered PoliceOne members and trust us to provide them with the
most timely, accurate and useful information available anywhere. At
PoliceOne, we take your safety and protection of law enforcement
sensitive information we provide very seriously. We confirm the status
of all officers registering for PoliceOne by calling that officer’s
department directly. Our mission is to provide you with leading edge
information and resources that make you better able to protect your
communities and stay safer on the streets."

So how is his return address not believable and why do you feel the
need to call him out on it even if it's not? He asked a pretty simple
question, got a pretty simple answer, and was happy with it. What
gives you the right to call him a "hacker" and besmirch his name,
fictional or not, on this public list?

--
Chris

Old 08-01-2010, 05:08 AM
Ed Greshko

On 08/01/2010 06:15 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday, July 31, 2010 06:13:21 pm D. VITELLIUS REGULUS did opine:
>
>> Is there any programs i can use to install .exe files to Fedora 13?
>>
>> Investigator, Embassy Investigations.
> I get the impression this one came from a hacker, looking for some way to
> exploit linux.
>
> If you come back again, please come back with a believable name, and a
> believable return address. This msg sets off all sorts of red lights and
> alarms.

What in blue blazes have you been drinking today? The only ones this
sets off alarm bells with are the overly paranoid. Do you really think
anyone in their right mind would come to this list looking for "hacker"
advice? Are any of the discussions on this list ever remotely
suggestive of this being a "go to" list for hacker info? Gee...and
don't you think that if anyone were that silly to think this list as a
good source they would use a generic email address like "gmail.com"?
What do we know about anyone from gmail.com on this list?

Besides....

Look at the darn email headers...oh...maybe gmail hides that from you...

[172.16.1.96]) by imta-38.everyone.net with ESMTP id qcrtng2r5-1
for <users@lists.fedoraproject.org>; Sat, 31 Jul 2010 11:26:15 -0700

[egreshko@meimei ~]$ host -t mx policeone.com
policeone.com mail is handled by 5 sitemail.everyone.net.

Kind of matches up don't you think?

Do your home work. Don't jump to conclusions with little to go on....
Or, better yet, don't jump at all.

--
What foods these morsels be! 葛斯克 愛德華 / 台北市八德路四段

Old 08-01-2010, 05:50 AM
Gene Heskett

On Sunday, August 01, 2010 01:48:26 am Christofer C. Bell did opine:

> On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 5:15 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > On Saturday, July 31, 2010 06:13:21 pm D. VITELLIUS REGULUS did opine:
> >> Is there any programs i can use to install .exe files to Fedora 13?
> >>
> >> Investigator, Embassy Investigations.
> >
> > I get the impression this one came from a hacker, looking for some way
> > to exploit linux.
> >
> > If you come back again, please come back with a believable name, and a
> > believable return address. This msg sets off all sorts of red lights
> > and alarms.
>
> Can you elaborate a bit? The OP is apparently a member of a
> PoliceOne. Have you actually taken a look at that site?
>
> http://www.policeone.com/
>
> "PoliceOne.com is the #1 resource for up-to-the-minute law enforcement
> information online. More than 200,000 police professionals nationwide
> are registered PoliceOne members and trust us to provide them with the
> most timely, accurate and useful information available anywhere. At
> PoliceOne, we take your safety and protection of law enforcement
> sensitive information we provide very seriously. We confirm the status
> of all officers registering for PoliceOne by calling that officer’s
> department directly. Our mission is to provide you with leading edge
> information and resources that make you better able to protect your
> communities and stay safer on the streets."
>
> So how is his return address not believable and why do you feel the
> need to call him out on it even if it's not? He asked a pretty simple
> question, got a pretty simple answer, and was happy with it. What
> gives you the right to call him a "hacker" and besmirch his name,
> fictional or not, on this public list?

I was just there again, and I did not find the text pasted above even after
I cleared the site with no-script.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)