Old 07-31-2010, 05:59 PM
Steven Stern

Default Best way to replace a drive with a clone

According to the SMART stats, the single drive in my Fedora server is
starting to fail. Rather than backup, do a clean install, and rebuild,
I'd like to try to clone the existing drive to a new one, then swap in
the new one.

What are the restrictions on doing this and the best way to accomplish
it? I have the Clonezilla Live CD that I use for backup. Will that do
it?

Or will a straight dd do it?
add new drive as PATA slave /dev/sdb
dd -if /dev/sda -of /dev/sdb
remove /dev/sda
change the jumpers on /dev/sdb to match what was /dev/sda
reboot

In the dd procedure, I'm not sure what to do if sdb is larger than sda.

--
-- Steve