Old 01-18-2008, 10:54 AM
"Avinash Prasad"

Default Supported cameras for fedora core 7

Hi there,
will logitech camera (Quickcam Chat/Messenger) work in fedora core 7 or do i nedd to switch on to other cameras.If any others cameras are supported then do mention the names.I need the camers to be running very smoothly as i need them for my
project.Which drivers will i need to run Quickcam chat/quickcam messenger?

Old 01-19-2008, 12:57 AM
Brian Chadwick

Avinash Prasad wrote:

Hi there,
will logitech camera (Quickcam Chat/Messenger) work in fedora core 7
or do i nedd to switch on to other cameras.If any others cameras are
supported then do mention the names.I need the camers to be running
very smoothly as i need them for my project.Which drivers will i need
to run Quickcam chat/quickcam messenger?

googling found this :

http://www.linux.com/base/ldp/howto/Webcam-HOWTO/index.html

google is your friend

Old 01-19-2008, 05:27 AM
Tim

On Sat, 2008-01-19 at 11:57 +1000, Brian Chadwick wrote:
> googling found this :
>
> http://www.linux.com/base/ldp/howto/Webcam-HOWTO/index.html

Revision 1.61 2005-02-21

That's going to be quite a bit out of date.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.12-52.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:33 AM
Brian Chadwick

Tim wrote:

That's going to be quite a bit out of date.

maybe some more googling will help you ... try it ... its free

Old 01-19-2008, 11:02 AM
Tim

Brian Chadwick:
>>> googling found this :
>>>
>>> http://www.linux.com/base/ldp/howto/Webcam-HOWTO/index.html

Tim:
>> Revision 1.61 2005-02-21
>>
>> That's going to be quite a bit out of date.

Brian Chadwick:
> maybe some more googling will help you ... try it ... its free

I'm not the original poster, I just made an observation. My second
observation suggests that you're a person who suggests that people
should just Google things, presuming that anything it returns will be
suitable without paying much attention.

The original poster did ask a specific question about a specific camera.
The most obvious thing about that question would be they'd hope that
someone would answer about that camera in particular. i.e. Perhaps
someone's already got the same one, and can say that it worked well, or
they never managed it. A two year old document isn't likely to be
applicable to a current camera, nor the current level of webcam support
in a current Fedora.

Perhaps you might apply a bit more thought when reading and responding,
it won't cost you anything, either.

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:10 AM
Robert L Cochran

Avinash Prasad wrote:

Hi there,
will logitech camera (Quickcam Chat/Messenger) work in fedora core 7
or do i nedd to switch on to other cameras.If any others cameras are
supported then do mention the names.I need the camers to be running
very smoothly as i need them for my project.Which drivers will i need
to run Quickcam chat/quickcam messenger?
The QuickCam Pro 4000 (which is an old model) definitely works in Fedora
7 and 8. I've used the camera in Ekiga and Skype, and I'm sure there are
other applications that can use it as well. I think as long as the
camera is supported under Video4Linux all is well and the camera 'just
works'.

Bob Cochran

Old 01-19-2008, 11:27 AM
Sur

will logitech camera (Quickcam Chat/Messenger) work in fedora core 7 or
do i nedd to switch on to other cameras.If any others cameras are
supported then do mention the names.I need the camers to be running very
smoothly as i need them for my project.Which drivers will i need to run
Quickcam chat/quickcam messenger?

There's a "Logitech Quickcam Messenger USB" driver in F8 (and probably
in F7 too) for device ID 046D:08F0 (check yours with lsusb).

Other than that, F8 supports the OV5xx based webcams:
http://alpha.dyndns.org/ov511/

Old 01-20-2008, 12:07 AM
Brian Chadwick

Tim wrote:

Brian Chadwick:

googling found this :

http://www.linux.com/base/ldp/howto/Webcam-HOWTO/index.html

Tim:

Revision 1.61 2005-02-21

That's going to be quite a bit out of date.

Brian Chadwick:

maybe some more googling will help you ... try it ... its free

I'm not the original poster, I just made an observation.

So did I

My second
observation suggests that you're a person who suggests that people
should just Google things, presuming that anything it returns will be
suitable without paying much attention.

For me, 99.9% of information about linux and Fedora has been gleaned by
searching forums and googling. I suspect that is the case for most other
users as well. Its a good habit to get into, and that I why I suggest it.

The original poster did ask a specific question about a specific camera.
The most obvious thing about that question would be they'd hope that
someone would answer about that camera in particular. i.e. Perhaps
someone's already got the same one, and can say that it worked well, or
they never managed it.
Quite True, someone may answer, in the mean time, getting into the habit
of doing your own searching is not such a bad thing.

A two year old document isn't likely to be
applicable to a current camera, nor the current level of webcam support
in a current Fedora.

Perhaps you might apply a bit more thought when reading and responding,
it won't cost you anything, either.

Perhaps you might assist the guy and lay off me.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:46 AM
Tim

On Sun, 2008-01-20 at 11:07 +1000, Brian Chadwick wrote:
> Perhaps you might assist the guy and lay off me.

Perhaps you shouldn't reply to my message, and tell *me* to Google
something, when it's someone *else* that's looking for an answer.