Old 07-30-2010, 08:18 PM

Default Changing Forgotten Root Password

Fedora 11, 12

Changing Forgotten Root Password.

Starting computer and going into Single User Mode and deleting the "x"
in /etc/passwd and restarting computer and login as "root" and add new
root password, does that still hold true for FC10, 11, 12

/etc/passwd

root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

Old 07-30-2010, 08:22 PM
Craig White

On Fri, 2010-07-30 at 16:18 -0400, binarynut@comcast.net wrote:
> Fedora 11, 12
>
> Changing Forgotten Root Password.
>
> Starting computer and going into Single User Mode and deleting the "x"
> in /etc/passwd and restarting computer and login as "root" and add new
> root password, does that still hold true for FC10, 11, 12
>
> /etc/passwd
>
> root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
----
don't manually edit /etc/passwd, /etc/group, /etc/shadow at all

simply start in 'Single User Mode' and type 'passwd' - it will ask for a
new password for root user

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:42 PM
"Robert G. (Doc) Savage"

On Fri, 2010-07-30 at 16:18 -0400, binarynut@comcast.net wrote:
> Fedora 11, 12
>
> Changing Forgotten Root Password.
>
> Starting computer and going into Single User Mode and deleting the "x"
> in /etc/passwd and restarting computer and login as "root" and add new
> root password, does that still hold true for FC10, 11, 12
>
> /etc/passwd
>
> root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

Even simpler: go into Single User mode and run 'passwd' to change the
root password. No editing of /etc/passwd required.

--Doc Savage
Fairview Heights, IL

Old 07-30-2010, 08:48 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 16:18:27 -0400
binarynut@comcast.net wrote:

> Fedora 11, 12
>
> Changing Forgotten Root Password.
>
> Starting computer and going into Single User Mode and deleting the
> "x" in /etc/passwd and restarting computer and login as "root" and
> add new root password, does that still hold true for FC10, 11, 12
>
> /etc/passwd
>
> root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

This is a bad idea. That sets the password to nothing at all. You would
have a window there where anyone could login. ;(

Instead see:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Reset_Forgotten_Root_Password

kevin

Old 07-30-2010, 08:54 PM
Thierry Vanden Broucke

1) Start (reboot) machine
2) Enter grub ( pressing the letter* 'e' )
3) Go to the second line and edit the line ( pressing the letter 'e' )
4) Go to the the end of the line and insert the word ( single )

5) Press Enter
6) Press the letter 'b'
7) wait
8) #passwd root
9) Enter password for root
10) #reboot

> Starting computer and going into Single User Mode and deleting the

> "x" in /etc/passwd and restarting computer and login as "root" and

> add new root password, does that still hold true for FC10, 11, 12

> /etc/passwd

> root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

This is a bad idea. That sets the password to nothing at all. You would

have a window there where anyone could login. ;(

Instead see:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Reset_Forgotten_Root_Password

kevin

Thierry Vanden Broucke
Linux User - 415586
Oracle ID - SR3276201
Oracle Database 10G Certified Associate
Oracle Application Server 10G Certified Associate

Cel. +55 71-9158-3495

Old 07-30-2010, 09:10 PM
Tom H

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 4:22 PM, Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-07-30 at 16:18 -0400, binarynut@comcast.net wrote:
>> Fedora 11, 12
>>
>> Changing Forgotten Root Password.
>>
>> Starting computer and going into Single User Mode and deleting the "x"
>> in /etc/passwd and restarting computer and login as "root" and add new
>> root password, does that still hold true for FC10, 11, 12
>>
>> /etc/passwd
>>
>> root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
> ----
> don't manually edit /etc/passwd, /etc/group, /etc/shadow at all
>
> simply start in 'Single User Mode' and type 'passwd' - it will ask for a
> new password for root user

If you have set up your boxes to require the root password to boot
into single-user mode, you have to net-boot (or cd-boot), mount the
root partition, chroot, blank out the root password (I prefer deleting
root's password in /etc/shadow to the "x" deletion described by the
OP), and run passwd.