Old 07-30-2010, 02:36 PM
"Daniel B. Thurman"

Default F9: rt2870 now works, but requires restarting named & httpd after (re)boot?

First, I know F9 is no longer supported, but wanted to
ask if there is a workaround to this problem.

I finally got rt2870 to work on F9, however, I noticed
during a reboot, httpd complained that it could not find
the host's domain, so it chose 127.0.0.1, and secondly
named responded only to localhost queries. I discovered
that restarting named and httpd, in that order, after a
reboot, restored normalcy. The key issue seems to be
that named is not properly started before services? Or
perhaps amanda and/or dnsmasq is interfering with
named?

Is there a fix or a workaround for this issue?

Thanks-

Old 07-30-2010, 03:32 PM
"Daniel B. Thurman"

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> First, I know F9 is no longer supported, but wanted to
> ask if there is a workaround to this problem.
>
> I finally got rt2870 to work on F9, however, I noticed
> during a reboot, httpd complained that it could not find
> the host's domain, so it chose 127.0.0.1, and secondly
> named responded only to localhost queries. I discovered
> that restarting named and httpd, in that order, after a
> reboot, restored normalcy. The key issue seems to be
> that named is not properly started before services? Or
> perhaps amanda and/or dnsmasq is interfering with
> named?
>
> Is there a fix or a workaround for this issue?
>
> Thanks-

Ah, instead of 'amada', I meant avahi, but nevertheless, it turns out that
avahi & dnsmasq are core to fedora - so - I need to retain both.

So it seems that somehow I need to get named up and working with
NetworkManager - named works fine for wired connections and
network instead of NetworkManager...

Old 07-30-2010, 06:00 PM
Rick Stevens

On 07/30/2010 08:32 AM, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
>> First, I know F9 is no longer supported, but wanted to
>> ask if there is a workaround to this problem.
>>
>> I finally got rt2870 to work on F9, however, I noticed
>> during a reboot, httpd complained that it could not find
>> the host's domain, so it chose 127.0.0.1, and secondly
>> named responded only to localhost queries. I discovered
>> that restarting named and httpd, in that order, after a
>> reboot, restored normalcy. The key issue seems to be
>> that named is not properly started before services? Or
>> perhaps amanda and/or dnsmasq is interfering with
>> named?
>>
>> Is there a fix or a workaround for this issue?
>>
>> Thanks-
>>
> Ah, instead of 'amada', I meant avahi, but nevertheless, it turns out that
> avahi& dnsmasq are core to fedora - so - I need to retain both.
>
> So it seems that somehow I need to get named up and working with
> NetworkManager - named works fine for wired connections and
> network instead of NetworkManager...

The inherent issue with earlier versions of NM is that it only started
when you logged in. Consequently, network logins (LDAP, NIS/NIS+)
wouldn't work, nor would named, avahi or anything else that required
a network connection. New versions of NM do have the ability to be
started via the startup scripts and various connections in NM's
configs can be tagged to start up at boot or upon a user login.

Unfortunately, since you're on F9 and there are no updates for it,
you're stuck unless you can force install a newer version of NM.
Absent that, you must use the older /etc/rc.d/init.d/network stuff.

That's just one reason to try to keep up with Fedora changes. I
don't know if these new NM things have been ported to RHEL 5 (and
hence CentOS 5) or not.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:19 PM
"Daniel B. Thurman"

Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 07/30/2010 08:32 AM, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
>
>> Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
>>
>>> First, I know F9 is no longer supported, but wanted to
>>> ask if there is a workaround to this problem.
>>>
>>> I finally got rt2870 to work on F9, however, I noticed
>>> during a reboot, httpd complained that it could not find
>>> the host's domain, so it chose 127.0.0.1, and secondly
>>> named responded only to localhost queries. I discovered
>>> that restarting named and httpd, in that order, after a
>>> reboot, restored normalcy. The key issue seems to be
>>> that named is not properly started before services? Or
>>> perhaps amanda and/or dnsmasq is interfering with
>>> named?
>>>
>>> Is there a fix or a workaround for this issue?
>>>
>>> Thanks-
>>>

>> Ah, instead of 'amada', I meant avahi, but nevertheless, it turns out that
>> avahi& dnsmasq are core to fedora - so - I need to retain both.
>>
>> So it seems that somehow I need to get named up and working with
>> NetworkManager - named works fine for wired connections and
>> network instead of NetworkManager...
>>

> The inherent issue with earlier versions of NM is that it only started
> when you logged in. Consequently, network logins (LDAP, NIS/NIS+)
> wouldn't work, nor would named, avahi or anything else that required
> a network connection. New versions of NM do have the ability to be
> started via the startup scripts and various connections in NM's
> configs can be tagged to start up at boot or upon a user login.
>
> Unfortunately, since you're on F9 and there are no updates for it,
> you're stuck unless you can force install a newer version of NM.
> Absent that, you must use the older /etc/rc.d/init.d/network stuff.
>
> That's just one reason to try to keep up with Fedora changes. I
> don't know if these new NM things have been ported to RHEL 5 (and
> hence CentOS 5) or not.
> - Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, C2 Hosting ricks@nerd.com -
> - AIM/Skype: therps2 ICQ: 22643734 Yahoo: origrps2 -
> - -
> - "Celibacy is not hereditary." -
> - -- Guy Goden -

Thanks for the response and thanks for confirming what I suspected.

I do have NM working and it can reach Internet and local networks
after a reboot. The boot services order is NM, named, then httpd of
which only httpd complained but continued running as 127.0.0.1, which
means it is only locally accessible as well as other similar services as you
pointed out. It is interesting that these services were unable to obtain
resolver
information from /etc/hosts, /etc/resolv.conf and named and perhaps NM is at
fault, but I am not certain.

I used nslookup just after a (re)boot, set the server to 10.1.0.x, or to
127.0.0.1,
and all DNS queries failed. I was able to connect to other servers with
no query
issues.

All it took is to restart named after a reboot and everything is returned
to normal, except for services/apps that depend on resolvers in order to
become network accessible. This seems to be ok for now, I just have to
remember to restart these certain apps after (re)boot or simply drop
NM for network. Eventually I will drop F9.

Thanks!
Dan