Old 01-18-2008, 09:15 AM
lynnevan

Default mkisofs not genisoimage

In the last 2 fedoras, in opensuse 10.3, and at least Mandriva2008, all have soft linked 'mkisofs' to genisoimage, as if they were the same, or at least performed equally.

Not so.

>From "info grub" I got this info and used it and would still like to use it, rather than floppys or pendrives.* I keep my windows MBR clean by using 'diskprobe' and 'disksave' after a linux install - reinstalling a clean MBR.

To boot linux I then used 'mkisofs' from the "info grub" to make a bootable grub CD:

<quote>3.4 Making a GRUB bootable CD-ROM

=================================

<snip>

** Here is an example of procedures to make a bootable CD-ROM image.

First, make a top directory for the bootable image, say, `iso':

**** $ mkdir iso

** Make a directory for GRUB:

**** $ mkdir -p iso/boot/grub

** Copy the file `stage2_eltorito':

**** $ cp /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/stage2_eltorito iso/boot/grub

** If desired, make the config file `menu.lst' under `iso/boot/grub'

(*note Configuration:, and copy any files and directories for the

disc to the directory `iso/'.

** Finally, make a ISO9660 image file like this:

**** $ mkisofs -R -b boot/grub/stage2_eltorito -no-emul-boot

******** -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -o grub.iso iso

<snip>

</quote>

Genisoimage doesn't make a bootable CD, at least not with these parameter - and nothing I've tried so far works.

Can someone can tell me the correct options?* Or even if genisoimage is capable of doing what 'mkisofs' did?

I know I can boot from floppy (but floppys are disappearing), or pendrive (if I wan't a pendrive to shrink to 1.44MB).* I really don't like losing the bootable grub CD option.

Thanks for any clarification.

lynnevan