Old 07-29-2010, 08:17 AM
Chris Rouch

Default fedora power management not working in f13

I have a duel boot laptop. if i boot it into f12, using kde, and pull
out the power cord, i get a popup message telling me i've done so and
the battery monitor icon changes. If i boot into f13, also kde, i get
no indication at all when i pull out the cable. The home directory is
shared between the two boots, so the configuration is the same.

I think this was working for f13 too until the last time i applied
updates, though it may just be that i didn't test it.

Has anyone else seen this? Can anyone suggest how I can debug it?

Thanks,

Chris

Old 07-29-2010, 10:27 AM
JB

Chris Rouch <chris.rouch <at> gmail.com> writes:

> The home directory is
> shared between the two boots, so the configuration is the same.

Well,
that may be the problem ...
Unless you really have a specific reason to have a common home dir,
I think you are asking for more or less unpredictability with both
installations (even if they are f12 and f13 distros). You are going backwards
and forwards (f12, f13) with your home configuration files.

Your distro installation and updates put a lot of config files in your home
dir ( the dot files) and unless you install exactly the same version of every
program there might be conflicts.
Every time something changes in the behaviour of your machine, your ability
to understand and debug it is diminished (newly downloaded packages ?,
new/changed config files ?, forgot about .rpmsave, .rpmnew ?, etc).

Fedora is a fast moving dev environment.
You yourself should not introduce additional uncertainty - you want to do
some useful work with your machine on a daily basis, right ?
JB

Old 07-29-2010, 10:47 AM
Timothy Murphy

JB wrote:

>> The home directory is
>> shared between the two boots, so the configuration is the same.
>>
> Well,
> that may be the problem ...
> Unless you really have a specific reason to have a common home dir,
> I think you are asking for more or less unpredictability with both
> installations (even if they are f12 and f13 distros). You are going
> backwards and forwards (f12, f13) with your home configuration files.

I completely disagree.
It is far more sensible to have /home on a separate partition.
It is up to Fedora to make sure that any config files
that it (she?) places in /home are properly updated
during installation of a new distribution.

I must say I have had no problem of this kind
with recent Fedora distributions.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:16 AM
Tim

On Thu, 2010-07-29 at 12:47 +0200, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> It is up to Fedora to make sure that any config files
> that it (she?) places in /home are properly updated
> during installation of a new distribution.

While I think it's fair to ask that Fedora 13 (and its apps) can read
the configuration left behind by Fedora 12, and update it where needed.
You can't really expect Fedora 12 (when someone is dual-booting) to be
able to handle Fedora 13 configurations.

The prior messages certainly suggest that they're dual-booting, between
releases, and not just updating.

For cases like that, I'd second the motion that you keep separate
homespaces, so the two release's configuration are independent. Keep
your own files in just one place, and provide a link to that directory,
or directories, in the second.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:28 AM
Ed Greshko

On 07/29/2010 07:16 PM, Tim wrote:
> While I think it's fair to ask that Fedora 13 (and its apps) can read
> the configuration left behind by Fedora 12, and update it where needed.
> You can't really expect Fedora 12 (when someone is dual-booting) to be
> able to handle Fedora 13 configurations.
>
> The prior messages certainly suggest that they're dual-booting, between
> releases, and not just updating.
>
> For cases like that, I'd second the motion that you keep separate
> homespaces, so the two release's configuration are independent. Keep
> your own files in just one place, and provide a link to that directory,
> or directories, in the second.

While I do agree with what you've said.... The one thing that hasn't
been determined is if indeed the issue is the differences in settings
between F12 and F13 and jumping between the 2 versions. The OP "thinks"
it was working before the last update.

I suppose the first thing I would do is to create a new user on F13 and
test under a clean F13 environment. I feel to do otherwise is jumping
to conclusions.

--
Love is sentimental measles. 葛斯克 愛德華 / 台北市八德路四段

Old 07-29-2010, 11:35 AM
Chris Rouch

On 29 July 2010 12:27, JB <jb.123abc@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Chris Rouch <chris.rouch <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> The home directory is
>> shared between the two boots, so the configuration is the same.
>>
> Well,
> that may be the problem ...
> Unless you really have a specific reason to have a common home dir,
> I think you are asking for more or less unpredictability with both
> installations (even if they are f12 and f13 distros). You are going backwards
> and forwards (f12, f13) with your home configuration files.

Yes, but...

I was only intending to go forward, and not worry about backing up and
restoring /home. I appreciate that upgrades from f13 may alter config
files in such a way that f12 apps no longer understand them. In fact I
only booted to f12 to confirm that it was an f13 problem (and not a
problem with the laptop). And it still works under f12, but not under
f13.

> Your distro installation and updates put a lot of config files in your home
> dir ( the dot files) and unless you install exactly the same version of every
> program there might be conflicts.
> Every time something changes in the behaviour of your machine, your ability
> to understand and debug it is diminished (newly downloaded packages ?,
> new/changed config files ?, forgot about .rpmsave, .rpmnew ?, etc).
>
> Fedora is a fast moving dev environment.
> You yourself should not introduce additional uncertainty - you want to do
> some useful work with your machine on a daily basis, right ?
> JB

i'd love to. unfortunately i have an nvidia card which doesn't work
properly in f13 (neither with nouveau or proprietary drivers). and now
power management has also failed for me. I really don't want to have
to go back to f12, but right now I still need that option.

Regards,

Chris

Old 07-29-2010, 11:41 AM
Chris Rouch

On 29 July 2010 13:28, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com> wrote:

> While I do agree with what you've said.... *The one thing that hasn't
> been determined is if indeed the issue is the differences in settings
> between F12 and F13 and jumping between the 2 versions. *The OP "thinks"
> it was working before the last update.
>
> I suppose the first thing I would do is to create a new user on F13 and
> test under a clean F13 environment. *I feel to do otherwise is jumping
> to conclusions.

Good idea. I created a new user, selected a kde session and logged in
as that user. I did not change any configuration. The battery charge
icon had a yellow lightning bolt indication mains power. I pulled the
power lead, and nothing changed - no popup dialog, no change of icon.

Regards,

Chris

Old 07-29-2010, 12:08 PM
Ed Greshko

On 07/29/2010 07:41 PM, Chris Rouch wrote:
> Good idea. I created a new user, selected a kde session and logged in
> as that user. I did not change any configuration. The battery charge
> icon had a yellow lightning bolt indication mains power. I pulled the
> power lead, and nothing changed - no popup dialog, no change of icon.

So, this would mean that it is a pure F13 problem. Since I don't have
laptop running F13, or any other version of Fedora, I don't think I'll
be of much help. :-(

But, I think that the acpid is used for this. So, I would check to make
sure that it is indeed started and that no errors have been reported by it.

Other than that....I leave it to those more experienced in that area.

--
Be careful or be road-kill. -- Calvin 葛斯克 愛德華 / 台北市八德路四段

Old 07-29-2010, 12:12 PM
JB

Chris Rouch <chris.rouch <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I have a duel boot laptop. if i boot it into f12, using kde, and pull
> out the power cord, i get a popup message telling me i've done so and
> the battery monitor icon changes. If i boot into f13, also kde, i get
> no indication at all when i pull out the cable. The home directory is
> shared between the two boots, so the configuration is the same.
>
> I think this was working for f13 too until the last time i applied
> updates, though it may just be that i didn't test it.
>
> Has anyone else seen this? Can anyone suggest how I can debug it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris
Hi,
I am on a Gnome desktop and so can not help you with KDE.
But I think you should try Gnome as well (they can co-exist).
You will get to know it (I am a convert from KDE myself) and at the same time
see if your power and battery work correctly.
Try it:
# [root@localhost jb]# yum grouplist |grep -i gnome
# yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment"
JB

Old 07-29-2010, 02:32 PM
JB

JB <jb.123abc <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> Chris Rouch <chris.rouch <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

> > I have a duel boot laptop. if i boot it into f12, using kde, and pull
> > out the power cord, i get a popup message telling me i've done so and
> > the battery monitor icon changes. If i boot into f13, also kde, i get
> > no indication at all when i pull out the cable. The home directory is
> > shared between the two boots, so the configuration is the same.
> >
> > I think this was working for f13 too until the last time i applied
> > updates, though it may just be that i didn't test it.
> >
> > Has anyone else seen this? Can anyone suggest how I can debug it?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Chris
> Hi,
> I am on a Gnome desktop and so can not help you with KDE.
> But I think you should try Gnome as well (they can co-exist).
> You will get to know it (I am a convert from KDE myself) and at the same time
> see if your power and battery work correctly.
> Try it:
> # [root <at> localhost jb]# yum grouplist |grep -i gnome
> # yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment"
> JB

Hi,
I have installed a fresh KDE desktop environment and without any changes in
settings can confirm that power cord pull out and plug in change battery icon
and display a popup message about the corresponding event.
So it is about your machine and KDE.

Look at Applications-Settings-System Settings-Advanced tab-Power Management .

I repeat my invitation to a Gnome desktop - you will be glad you did it :-) .
System-Preferences-Power Management .

JB