Old 07-29-2010, 12:27 AM

Default empathy connect to msn (hotmail)

hi
I use empathy as IM to connect to gmail and msn (hotmail) accounts.
Use this laptop, I connect to both at work place, but at home(using
TPG adsl2+). I can't connect to the msn account. the settings are the
same. there is not many options for empathy to coonect to msn

server messenger.hotmail.com
port 1863

anywhere to look for fix.

by the way, at the home network, it's ok to connect to the same msn
account using pidgin.
best

http://etvillage.blogspot.com/

Old 07-29-2010, 12:34 AM
Clint Dilks

On 29/07/10 12:27, L wrote:
> hi
> I use empathy as IM to connect to gmail and msn (hotmail) accounts.
> Use this laptop, I connect to both at work place, but at home(using
> TPG adsl2+). I can't connect to the msn account. the settings are the
> same. there is not many options for empathy to coonect to msn
>
> server messenger.hotmail.com
> port 1863
>
> anywhere to look for fix.
>
> by the way, at the home network, it's ok to connect to the same msn
> account using pidgin.
> best

Hi Your home network will be using Nat and perhaps this is not working
correctly. You could manually set up a rule that forwards all incoming
traffic on port 1863 to your machines internal ip address:1863 and see
if that helps.

If you are unsure how to do this your asdl router probably has a web
interface you can connect to, connect to this and look for anything that
seems to relate to port forwarding.

Have a nice day

Old 07-29-2010, 12:49 AM

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Clint Dilks <clintd@scms.waikato.ac.nz> wrote:
> On 29/07/10 12:27, L wrote:
>> hi
>> I use empathy as IM to connect to gmail and msn (hotmail) accounts.
>> Use this laptop, I connect to both at work place, but at home(using
>> TPG adsl2+). I can't connect to the msn account. the settings are the
>> same. there is not many options for empathy to coonect to msn
>>
>> server messenger.hotmail.com
>> port 1863
>>
>> anywhere to look for fix.
>>
>> by the way, at the home network, it's ok to connect to the same msn
>> account using pidgin.
>> best

> Hi Your home network will be using Nat and perhaps this is not working
> correctly. *You could manually set up a rule that forwards all incoming
> traffic on port 1863 to your machines internal ip address:1863 and see
> if that helps.

thanks, Yes, the adsl use NAT.

if this is the case, does it mean I have to configure the router to do
port forward to this internal ip?
this could cause additional problem if I want to use msn IM on empathy
from other home pc.

why pidigin connects ok?

Old 07-29-2010, 12:54 AM
Genes MailLists

On 07/28/2010 08:49 PM, L wrote:

>> Hi Your home network will be using Nat and perhaps this is not working
>> correctly. You could manually set up a rule that forwards all incoming
>> traffic on port 1863 to your machines internal ip address:1863 and see
>> if that helps.
>>
> thanks, Yes, the adsl use NAT.

This makes zero sense to me ... if pidgin connects and empathy cannot
it is a problem with empathy and/or its config.

And why on earth would anyone advise to open up your firewall ? That
is never the correct answer ... please look elsewehere.

gene

Old 07-29-2010, 01:06 AM
Clint Dilks

On 29/07/10 12:54, Genes MailLists wrote:
> On 07/28/2010 08:49 PM, L wrote:
>

>>> Hi Your home network will be using Nat and perhaps this is not working
>>> correctly. You could manually set up a rule that forwards all incoming
>>> traffic on port 1863 to your machines internal ip address:1863 and see
>>> if that helps.
>>>

>> thanks, Yes, the adsl use NAT.
>>
> This makes zero sense to me ... if pidgin connects and empathy cannot
> it is a problem with empathy and/or its config.
>
> And why on earth would anyone advise to open up your firewall ? That
> is never the correct answer ... please look elsewehere.
>
> gene

It depends how the software works as to whether NAT on most routers will
work correctly ie in most cases if the client makes the out going
connection to in this case the msn server then NAT will work correctly.
On the other hand if the client is just listening for incoming
connections often it will not work unless you make your router aware of it.

I agree that in most cases you shouldn't open up your firewall, but in
this cases the choice many be open the firewall or use different software.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:31 AM
Genes MailLists

On 07/28/2010 09:06 PM, Clint Dilks wrote:

> It depends how the software works as to whether NAT on most routers will

> On the other hand if the client is just listening for incoming
> connections often it will not work unless you make your router aware of it.

none of the chat protocols - including msn- works that way - and
haven't for several decades ...

OP - dont open your firewall. You have other problems.