Old 01-18-2008, 04:07 AM
"M. Fioretti"

Default Firefox, mutt, kicker, konsole crash after FC8 update

Greetings,

this is on an AMD64 system, FC8 64bit installed with Livna nVidia
rpms, all updates with yum applied without problems until one week
ago, running KDE.

Last wednesday I go t the "updates available" notification on the
desktop and told the system to upgrade. IIRC, there was some problem
to download the evolution rpm, but I didn't bother since I never use
it, so I told it to go ahead and update. Everything seemed to go fine,
but then:

Firefox would crash or freeze
Konqueror wouldn't start
mutt ran in konsole would segmentation fault every 5/6 messages

yesterday morning, when I powered the PC up again, it failed to boot and
left me with the prompt from which to boot and run fsck

I did, and I noticed it reported several "multiply-claimed blocks in inode"
warnings about:

/usr/lib64/libkgroupwarebase.so.0.0.0
/usr/lib/libkabinterfaces.so.1.0.0
/user/lib/64/kde3/libkontact-kaddressbookplugin.so

after running fsck and rebooting, the problems above seemed
disappeared. Now, after powering up the pc again (KDE session,
again):

X starts, kicker, kmail and konsole crash every time (I'm typing this
from mutt in an xterm which I started from the "run command" graphic
utility)

if I start kicker from the xterm I get:

[marco@pc ~]$ QGDict::hashAsciiKey: Invalid null key
kicker: crashHandler called
KCrash: Application 'kicker' crashing...
QGDict::hashAsciiKey: Invalid null key

trying to start kmail:

> kmail
kmail: relocation error: /usr/lib64/libkleopatra.so.1: symbol _ZN4Kleo18KeySelectionDialogD1Ev, version GLIBCXX_3.4 not defined in file libstdc++.so.6 with link time reference

kate and konqueror, instead, start without problems (though I haven't
done anything with them yet)

Unfortunately, I had no possibility since wednesday to stay at the
computer more than a few minutes every time (if I had had more time
and concentration I would have probably done things differently), and
at this point, given the sequence of events (update partly failed -
forced fsck - another update) I am not sure how to:

- find out _EVERYTHING_ wrong in the system right now (hanging lock or
tmp files, all corrupted binaries, which rpms should be reinstalled,
what else).

- what else to report to help you diagnose the problem

- how to fix it! If I were sure only one package is corrupted, I'd
remove it ignoring warnings and reinstall it right away, but this is
something more serious. Remove all packages updated since wednesday
and then run yum update again?!? No, unless I have confirmation it
makes sense and/or there is no other way

Thank you in advance for any feedback

Marco

software is used *around* you: http://digifreedom.net/node/84

Old 01-18-2008, 04:20 AM
Craig White

On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 06:07 +0100, M. Fioretti wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> this is on an AMD64 system, FC8 64bit installed with Livna nVidia
> rpms, all updates with yum applied without problems until one week
> ago, running KDE.
>
> Last wednesday I go t the "updates available" notification on the
> desktop and told the system to upgrade. IIRC, there was some problem
> to download the evolution rpm, but I didn't bother since I never use
> it, so I told it to go ahead and update. Everything seemed to go fine,
> but then:
>
> Firefox would crash or freeze
> Konqueror wouldn't start
> mutt ran in konsole would segmentation fault every 5/6 messages
>
> yesterday morning, when I powered the PC up again, it failed to boot and
> left me with the prompt from which to boot and run fsck
>
> I did, and I noticed it reported several "multiply-claimed blocks in inode"
> warnings about:
>
> /usr/lib64/libkgroupwarebase.so.0.0.0
> /usr/lib/libkabinterfaces.so.1.0.0
> /user/lib/64/kde3/libkontact-kaddressbookplugin.so
>
> after running fsck and rebooting, the problems above seemed
> disappeared. Now, after powering up the pc again (KDE session,
> again):
>
> X starts, kicker, kmail and konsole crash every time (I'm typing this
> from mutt in an xterm which I started from the "run command" graphic
> utility)
>
> if I start kicker from the xterm I get:
>
> [marco@pc ~]$ QGDict::hashAsciiKey: Invalid null key
> kicker: crashHandler called
> KCrash: Application 'kicker' crashing...
> QGDict::hashAsciiKey: Invalid null key
>
> trying to start kmail:
>
> > kmail
> kmail: relocation error: /usr/lib64/libkleopatra.so.1: symbol _ZN4Kleo18KeySelectionDialogD1Ev, version GLIBCXX_3.4 not defined in file libstdc++.so.6 with link time reference
>
> kate and konqueror, instead, start without problems (though I haven't
> done anything with them yet)
>
> Unfortunately, I had no possibility since wednesday to stay at the
> computer more than a few minutes every time (if I had had more time
> and concentration I would have probably done things differently), and
> at this point, given the sequence of events (update partly failed -
> forced fsck - another update) I am not sure how to:
>
> - find out _EVERYTHING_ wrong in the system right now (hanging lock or
> tmp files, all corrupted binaries, which rpms should be reinstalled,
> what else).
>
> - what else to report to help you diagnose the problem
>
> - how to fix it! If I were sure only one package is corrupted, I'd
> remove it ignoring warnings and reinstall it right away, but this is
> something more serious. Remove all packages updated since wednesday
> and then run yum update again?!? No, unless I have confirmation it
> makes sense and/or there is no other way
>
> Thank you in advance for any feedback
----
no way that should have happened...you clearly have corrupted volume(s)
and you need to back up your documents (settings if desired) and clean
install.

The thing I would be worried about is why this happened because it would
seem likely to happen again.

In other words, I can't believe that an update would cause the
corruption unless the hard disk map was already broken and then the
updates merely exacerbated the problem.

Craig

Old 01-18-2008, 04:59 AM
"M. Fioretti"

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 22:20:04 PM -0700, Craig White
(craigwhite@azapple.com) wrote:

> ----
> no way that should have happened...you clearly have corrupted volume(s)
> and you need to back up your documents (settings if desired) and clean
> install.
> The thing I would be worried about is why this happened because it would
> seem likely to happen again.
>
> In other words, I can't believe that an update would cause the
> corruption unless the hard disk map was already broken and then the
> updates merely exacerbated the problem.

OK, but even if there's nothing else to do but a clean install, before
I back up (hoping tar isn't corrupted either...) how can I find out
exactly what is broken (sw, hw...)? If nothing else, to report a bug,
be sure that it's just a sw and not hardware problem? Also because if
the _disk_ is broken, there's little point to reinstall on it, is
there?

Old 01-18-2008, 01:48 PM
Craig White

On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 06:59 +0100, M. Fioretti wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 22:20:04 PM -0700, Craig White
> (craigwhite@azapple.com) wrote:
>
> > ----
> > no way that should have happened...you clearly have corrupted volume(s)
> > and you need to back up your documents (settings if desired) and clean
> > install.
> > The thing I would be worried about is why this happened because it would
> > seem likely to happen again.
> >
> > In other words, I can't believe that an update would cause the
> > corruption unless the hard disk map was already broken and then the
> > updates merely exacerbated the problem.
>
> OK, but even if there's nothing else to do but a clean install, before
> I back up (hoping tar isn't corrupted either...) how can I find out
> exactly what is broken (sw, hw...)? If nothing else, to report a bug,
> be sure that it's just a sw and not hardware problem? Also because if
> the _disk_ is broken, there's little point to reinstall on it, is
> there?
----
agreed, if the disk is unreliable, there's little point of continuing to
use it.

rpm -Va > /tmp/package-verification.txt

would probably be a good place to start

Craig

Old 01-18-2008, 01:48 PM
Craig White

----

Old 01-18-2008, 01:55 PM
"M. Fioretti"

On Fri, January 18, 2008 3:48 pm, Craig White wrote:

> agreed, if the disk is unreliable, there's little point of continuing to
> use it.
>
> rpm -Va > /tmp/package-verification.txt
>
> would probably be a good place to start

I will do that tonight when I get home. What would the next step be?
Remove and reinstall all and only the rpms shown as damaged in that
report? If yes, would it be all, assuming the disk is OK?

About the disk, what would the best way to see if it's not working
properly anymore?

Thanks,
Marco

Old 01-18-2008, 01:55 PM
"M. Fioretti"

Old 01-18-2008, 04:29 PM
"max bianco"

On Jan 18, 2008 9:55 AM, M. Fioretti <mfioretti@nexaima.net> wrote:

On Fri, January 18, 2008 3:48 pm, Craig White wrote:

> agreed, if the disk is unreliable, there's little point of continuing to
> use it.
>
> rpm -Va > /tmp/package-
verification.txt

> would probably be a good place to start

I will do that tonight when I get home. What would the next step be?
Remove and reinstall all and only the rpms shown as damaged in that

report? If yes, would it be all, assuming the disk is OK?

About the disk, what would the best way to see if it's not working
properly anymore?

I have used the Hitachi harddrive diagnostics on non-hitachi drives many times.

It works well for me and should tell you if there is a problem with the harddrive. It's as reliable as these things can be, in my opinion. The bonus is that you can download it for free and boot it from a cd.* There may be other better ones and I would certainly like to know what others recommend.

-Max

Old 01-19-2008, 04:29 AM
"M. Fioretti"

On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 07:48:16 AM -0700, Craig White (craigwhite@azapple.com) wrote:

> agreed, if the disk is unreliable, there's little point of continuing to
> use it.
>
> rpm -Va > /tmp/package-verification.txt
>
> would probably be a good place to start

I just ran this, and it does look bad. Summarizing:

4296726 lines of the form 'error: rpmdb: damaged header #39 retriEved -- skipping'

1129 lines reporting files with mismatching Size, MD5 checksum or modification time, or
in the forms:

prelink: /u
S.?.....
.......T d

what now? (let's assume the hard disk is fine, I'll check it with the
utilities mentioned in another post)

I'll reinstall if need be, but is there another way, if nothing else
to learn something about rpm and yum? What do you suggest to do to restore the corrupted packages and the rpm db, apart from removing and reinstalling them by hand one by one?

TIA,

Old 01-19-2008, 10:04 AM
Craig White

On Sat, 2008-01-19 at 06:29 +0100, M. Fioretti wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 07:48:16 AM -0700, Craig White (craigwhite@azapple.com) wrote:
>

> > agreed, if the disk is unreliable, there's little point of continuing to
> > use it.
> >
> > rpm -Va > /tmp/package-verification.txt
> >
> > would probably be a good place to start
>
> I just ran this, and it does look bad. Summarizing:
>
> 4296726 lines of the form 'error: rpmdb: damaged header #39 retriEved -- skipping'
>
> 1129 lines reporting files with mismatching Size, MD5 checksum or modification time, or
> in the forms:
>
> prelink: /u
> S.?.....
> .......T d
>
> what now? (let's assume the hard disk is fine, I'll check it with the
> utilities mentioned in another post)
>
> I'll reinstall if need be, but is there another way, if nothing else
> to learn something about rpm and yum? What do you suggest to do to restore the corrupted packages and the rpm db, apart from removing and reinstalling them by hand one by one?
----
I don't think that I could ever suggest that there's the slightest bit
of value in trying to repair - not even for educational value.

My concern would be towards hardware testing because something clearly
is wrong and it would seem highly unlikely that it was simply software
corruption.

Craig