Old 01-18-2008, 01:21 AM
max

Default xen

John Thompson wrote:

On 2008-01-18, John Summerfield <debian@herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:

I like to run xen-capable CPUs and this adds to the problems. First,
with xen:
I like to use a framebuffer console. It's a while since I tried on the
Dell so we'll ignore that for the moment.

Out of curiousity, what is the advantage of the xen kernel? I notice it
was installed when I installed FC8, and it seems to run fine, but why
exactly would I want to use it?

It is for virtualization. That is if you want to run virtual machines.

-Max

Old 01-18-2008, 12:16 PM
John Summerfield

I like to run xen-capable CPUs and this adds to the problems. First,
with xen:
I like to use a framebuffer console. It's a while since I tried on the
Dell so we'll ignore that for the moment.

Out of curiousity, what is the advantage of the xen kernel? I notice it
was installed when I installed FC8, and it seems to run fine, but why
exactly would I want to use it?

xen is a tool that enables one to run several virtual computers on one
real computer. For example, I can boot the Xenified kernel for F8 and
the run Windows on that (with newer CPUs).

The grub configuration specifies Xen as the kernel, then has two modules
directives:

title Scientific Linux SL (2.6.18-8.1.15.el5xen)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /xen.gz-2.6.18-8.1.15.el5
module /vmlinuz-2.6.18-8.1.15.el5xen ro
root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00

module /initrd-2.6.18-8.1.15.el5xen.img
savedefault

I've used my 64-bit F8 system to run a couple of 32-bit Debian systems
for special purposes, and tried some things with Windows.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 01-18-2008, 01:42 PM
"max bianco"

On Jan 18, 2008 8:16 AM, John Summerfield <debian@herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:

John Thompson wrote:
> On 2008-01-18, John Summerfield <debian@herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:
>
>> I like to run xen-capable CPUs and this adds to the problems. First,

>> with xen:
>> I like to use a framebuffer console. It's a while since I tried on the
>> Dell so we'll ignore that for the moment.
>
> Out of curiousity, what is the advantage of the xen kernel? I notice it

> was installed when I installed FC8, and it seems to run fine, but why
> exactly would I want to use it?

xen is a tool that enables one to run several virtual computers on one
real computer. For example, I can boot the Xenified kernel for F8 and

the run Windows on that (with newer CPUs).

The grub configuration specifies Xen as the kernel, then has two modules
directives:
title Scientific Linux SL (2.6.18-8.1.15.el5xen)
* * * * root (hd0,0)

* * * * kernel /xen.gz-2.6.18-8.1.15.el5
* * * * module /vmlinuz-2.6.18-8.1.15.el5xen ro
root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
* * * * module /initrd-2.6.18-8.1.15.el5xen.img
* * * * savedefault

I've used my 64-bit F8 system to run a couple of 32-bit Debian systems

for special purposes, and tried some things with Windows.

I have not used VMWare so I cannot comment on its* performance. I did a quick google search on VMWare* vs. Xen* and got a few hits* but most look like opinion pieces.* I am just starting to use virtualization with Fedora and i installed the Xen kernel and wasn't to impressed with the performance of the virtual machine(winXP). At this point I am not sure why it was so sluggish. It could have been something I did or didn't do. I know there is a mailing list for fedora virtualization stuff (that's not the official name) but I haven't found the time to play with it much so please add a grain of salt to my pronouncements. In the coming weeks i will be getting into it alot more and will have more info. If we can keep the thread alive then I will report back here. What has your experience with VMWare been?

-Max

Old 01-18-2008, 01:54 PM
Nico Sabbi

Il Friday 18 January 2008 15:42:06 max bianco ha scritto:

> I have not used VMWare so I cannot comment on its performance. I
> did a quick google search on VMWare vs. Xen and got a few hits
> but most look like opinion pieces. I am just starting to use
> virtualization with Fedora and i installed the Xen kernel and
> wasn't to impressed with the performance of the virtual
> machine(winXP). At this point I am not sure why it was so sluggish.
> It could have been something I did or didn't do. I know there is a
> mailing list for fedora virtualization stuff (that's not the
> official name) but I haven't found the time to play with it much so
> please add a grain of salt to my pronouncements. In the coming
> weeks i will be getting into it alot more and will have more info.
> If we can keep the thread alive then I will report back here. What
> has your experience with VMWare been?
>
> -Max

I haven't played very much with any of them (a bit more with vmware
esx server) but performance-wise my experiences were much more
positive with qemu+kqemu than with xen (paravirtualized or not),
kvm and vmware.
I expected much better speed with a PV Solaris/Nevada under xen,
but the opposite was true

Even taking CPU load into account, at least in my tests, qemu+kqemu
was the best combination.

All guest OS were either XP or Solaris with 512 MB or 1 GB of ram,
out of a total of 2GB.

If someone can share a satisfying configuration for a PV Linux or
Solaris guest I'll be happy to test it.

Nico

Old 01-18-2008, 01:54 PM
Nico Sabbi

Old 01-18-2008, 01:59 PM
John Summerfield

max bianco wrote:

I have not used VMWare so I cannot comment on its performance. I did a
quick google search on VMWare vs. Xen and got a few hits but most look
like opinion pieces. I am just starting to use virtualization with Fedora
and i installed the Xen kernel and wasn't to impressed with the performance
of the virtual machine(winXP). At this point I am not sure why it was so
sluggish. It could have been something I did or didn't do. I know there is a
mailing list for fedora virtualization stuff (that's not the official name)
but I haven't found the time to play with it much so please add a grain of
salt to my pronouncements. In the coming weeks i will be getting into it
alot more and will have more info. If we can keep the thread alive then I
will report back here. What has your experience with VMWare been?

I don't think I said I've used vmware.

KVM is built into the standard kernel, and it's capable of running
Windows etc too.

Speed isn't a concern for what I want to do.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:50 PM
"max bianco"

On Jan 18, 2008 9:59 AM, John Summerfield <debian@herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:

max bianco wrote:

> I have not used VMWare so I cannot comment on its *performance. I did a
> quick google search on VMWare *vs. Xen *and got a few hits *but most look
> like opinion pieces. *I am just starting to use virtualization with Fedora

> and i installed the Xen kernel and wasn't to impressed with the performance
> of the virtual machine(winXP). At this point I am not sure why it was so
> sluggish. It could have been something I did or didn't do. I know there is a

> mailing list for fedora virtualization stuff (that's not the official name)
> but I haven't found the time to play with it much so please add a grain of
> salt to my pronouncements. In the coming weeks i will be getting into it

> alot more and will have more info. If we can keep the thread alive then I
> will report back here. What has your experience with VMWare been?

I don't think I said I've used vmware.

No your right you didn't .* I* replied to the wrong email ....oops.

Apologies,

Max

Old 01-18-2008, 09:25 PM
John Thompson

On 2008-01-18, John Summerfield <debian@herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:
> John Thompson wrote:
>> On 2008-01-18, John Summerfield <debian@herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I like to run xen-capable CPUs and this adds to the problems. First,
>>> with xen:
>>> I like to use a framebuffer console. It's a while since I tried on the
>>> Dell so we'll ignore that for the moment.
>>
>> Out of curiousity, what is the advantage of the xen kernel? I notice it
>> was installed when I installed FC8, and it seems to run fine, but why
>> exactly would I want to use it?

> xen is a tool that enables one to run several virtual computers on one
> real computer. For example, I can boot the Xenified kernel for F8 and
> the run Windows on that (with newer CPUs).

What advantage does xen have over, say, VMware? I bought a "hobbyist"
license for VMware many years back when they still offered that option,
and found it worked pretty well.

--

John (john@os2.dhs.org)

Old 01-18-2008, 10:30 PM
Timothy Selivanow

On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 16:25 -0600, John Thompson wrote:
> On 2008-01-18, John Summerfield <debian@herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:
> > John Thompson wrote:

> >> Out of curiousity, what is the advantage of the xen kernel? I notice it
> >> was installed when I installed FC8, and it seems to run fine, but why
> >> exactly would I want to use it?
>
> > xen is a tool that enables one to run several virtual computers on one
> > real computer. For example, I can boot the Xenified kernel for F8 and
> > the run Windows on that (with newer CPUs).
>
> What advantage does xen have over, say, VMware? I bought a "hobbyist"
> license for VMware many years back when they still offered that option,
> and found it worked pretty well.
>
> --
>
> John (john@os2.dhs.org)

Many and none at the same time A better question would be "What are
you looking for in a Virtual Environment". I've been using both for
quite some time now, although I haven't used XenSource, the commercial
implementation of Xen. It also really depends if you are using your
virtualization in a commercial environment or just as a "hobbyist".

At work we have the whole VMWare Infrastructure thing going on,
Fibre-Channel SAN and all. For personal stuff I use Xen because I
prefer Open Source, like the performance of para-virtualization (VMWare
doesn't support that yet, but they are working on it with IBM, RedHat,
and XenSource -->
http://www.vmware.com/interfaces/paravirtualization.html ), and I don't
use Windows.

If you do a google search for "xen vs vmware", many good articles come
up.

--Tim
/ An honest tale speeds best being plainly told.
-- William Shakespeare, "Henry VI" /

Old 02-05-2010, 11:17 PM
Matt

I have a fairly high disk i/o intensive email server I am thinking of
upgrading. I was thinking of upgrading it to CentOS 5.x 64bit. I was
also thinking of running it as a guest under XEN. Would this allow me
to more easilly transfer it to faster hardware in the future? Or
would running as a guest seriously hurt disk i/o?