Old 01-17-2008, 03:37 PM
Terry Polzin

Default PCI-e video card recommendations

Group;

I'm in the processing of building a new F8 machine and would like a
recommendation for a reasonably cheap PCI-e video card. I don't do much in
the way of graphics, 3D or gaming so I don't need top of the line
performance.

THANKS,

Terry

Old 01-17-2008, 06:08 PM
Dan Koehler

I just built an F8 box using a Radeon X1050 based card. I think it
was from GeCube (HM1050P-D3), and it has 256M of RAM on board, with
128bit RAM data path. It worked fine right away in the install. I
didn't need speed, but most cards in this price range only have a 64
bit RAM data path...this one is 128 bit.

Heck, I just checked Newegg and found this card is $40 with a $25
mail in rebate. So for $15 bucks you can have a PCI-e card that works :-)

Dan

--
SCANNED for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:34 PM
"Sam Tregar"

I'm in the processing of building a new F8 machine and would like a
recommendation for a reasonably cheap PCI-e video card.**I don't do much in
the way of graphics, 3D**or gaming so I don't need top of the line

performance.

I'd look for a motherboard with an integrated graphics chip with good Linux support.* If you're not doing 3D or gaming there's no reason to pay for a separate video card.

I've had good experiences with the Intel GMA 950, which you can find integrated into lots of motherboards.* For example, picking one at random from a manufacturer I've used:

**
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130121

If you don't mind binary drivers practically anything you can buy new from ATI or Nvidia should also work fine.* I'd avoid that path though, if I were you.

-sam

Old 01-17-2008, 10:34 PM
Felix Miata

On 2008/01/17 11:37 (GMT-0500) Terry Polzin apparently typed:

> I'm in the processing of building a new F8 machine and would like a
> recommendation for a reasonably cheap PCI-e video card. I don't do much in
> the way of graphics, 3D or gaming so I don't need top of the line
> performance.

If you have an available legacy PCI slot, a very large number of dirt cheap
or free 8-12 year old cards with 4M or more of RAM will probably do you just
fine as long as you are using a 4:3 display.
--
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was
with God, and the Word was God." John 1:1 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Old 01-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Alan Cox

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 18:34:11 -0500
Felix Miata <mrmazda@ij.net> wrote:

> On 2008/01/17 11:37 (GMT-0500) Terry Polzin apparently typed:
>
> > I'm in the processing of building a new F8 machine and would like a
> > recommendation for a reasonably cheap PCI-e video card. I don't do much in
> > the way of graphics, 3D or gaming so I don't need top of the line
> > performance.
>
> If you have an available legacy PCI slot, a very large number of dirt cheap
> or free 8-12 year old cards with 4M or more of RAM will probably do you just
> fine as long as you are using a 4:3 display.

If its an Intel CPU system I'd pick a generic Intel board with reasonably
recent Intel graphics. Motherboard video today is at the point its
perfectly good even for lighter gaming (eg bzflag). The Intel video is
also the closest right now to "just works" - and with a new enough Fedora
for the relevant video card does indeed just work.

Alan