Old 01-17-2008, 04:19 PM
John Poelstra

Default Get a Blog (was SElinux problem)

Robert P. J. Day said the following on 01/16/2008 10:57 PM Pacific Time:

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, John Poelstra wrote:

Karl Larsen said the following on 01/16/2008:

... snip ...

Hi,

May I kindly suggest that you get a blog and put stuff like this
there? Most people reading this list are not looking for news about
your computer or your personal daily diary [1].

you're new here, aren't you, john? :-)

rday
--

Not new, just tired of seeing so much "troll bait" on this list and
hoping we can raise the level of discussion and quality of some of the

I believe that maintaining the quality of our conversations and keeping
the Fedora community appealing to outsiders is important. Do we really
want this list to gain a permanent reputation of not being a useful
place to spend your time where the "signal to noise ratio" is poor?

John

Old 01-17-2008, 04:46 PM
William Case

Hi John;

On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 09:19 -0800, John Poelstra wrote:
> Robert P. J. Day said the following on 01/16/2008 10:57 PM Pacific Time:
> > On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, John Poelstra wrote:
> >
> >> Karl Larsen said the following on 01/16/2008:
> >
> > ... snip ...
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> May I kindly suggest that you get a blog and put stuff like this
> >> there? Most people reading this list are not looking for news about
> >> your computer or your personal daily diary [1].
> >
> > you're new here, aren't you, john? :-)
> >
> > rday
> > --
>
> Not new, just tired of seeing so much "troll bait" on this list and
> hoping we can raise the level of discussion and quality of some of the
> posts
>
> I believe that maintaining the quality of our conversations and keeping
> the Fedora community appealing to outsiders is important. Do we really
> want this list to gain a permanent reputation of not being a useful
> place to spend your time where the "signal to noise ratio" is poor?
>
> John

I use the number and length of OT as a measure of the success of the
latest Fedora release. The sooner the OT starts and the greater the
number of replies, usually means fewer problems to report and fix.

I confess to enjoying -- usually late at night when I don't really want
to start something new -- the community blather that takes place.
Gossip, ribbing each other, righteous indignation, exchange of OT
information and speculation can be important glues to building a
community that can be counted on when something really goes wrong.

--
Regards Bill

Old 01-17-2008, 05:15 PM
John Poelstra

I use the number and length of OT as a measure of the success of the
latest Fedora release. The sooner the OT starts and the greater the
number of replies, usually means fewer problems to report and fix.

I confess to enjoying -- usually late at night when I don't really want
to start something new -- the community blather that takes place.
Gossip, ribbing each other, righteous indignation, exchange of OT
information and speculation can be important glues to building a
community that can be counted on when something really goes wrong.

You make some good points. If I'm in the minority I can accept that

John