Old 07-17-2010, 08:24 AM
(Ted Harding)

Default Workspace switcher crashes at 20

On 17-Jul-10 06:45:16, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 07/17/2010 01:31 PM, David wrote:
>> On 7/17/2010 1:28 AM, john wendel wrote:
>>>
>>> Not sure if anyone cares, but I just got 25 desktops working
>>> on an LXDE box, so much for Gnome. But I really like KDE and I
>>> only use 2 desktops.
>>
>> I still think it has to do with resources. :-)
>
> The only resource that would make sense is memory. So, it would
> follow that reducing available memory would reduce the number of
> workspaces needed to cause the crash. Yes?
>
> Since my F13 is a VM I reduced its memory from 1G to 512MB.
>
> The symptoms does not change. It will experience a metacity crash
> when 18 workspaces are defined but will only crash on using
> ctrl+alt+< or >.

I also doubt that it has to do with resources. As I described when
I first posted about the problem, when I install a Debian 5.0 (Lenny)
system on the same machine, again using standard Gnome, there is no
problem with 20 workspaces.

That machine has (at present) 1GB of RAM. When I identified the
problem, there were no other applications running except the Gnome
interface that one gets immediately after login -- I had just logged in,

As further evidence, I also run Gnome on a Debian 4.0 (Etch) in a
VM on another machine, and I have given it 1GB of RAM, and here
again I have 20 workspaces. I can have many applications running
at the same time on this VM, including RAM-hungry intensive computations,
and have never had a memory problem.

One might argue that Gnome on an older Debian is not the same thing
as Gnome on Fedora 13, so perhaps not a basis for comparison; but
that same argument lends itself to the conclusion that there is
something wrong with Gnome on Fedora 13.

If the problem really does reflect a resources issue, then I would
be inclined to suspect a memory leak problem, or a bug in 'malloc'
calls when the number of workspaces is increased.

Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding@manchester.ac.uk>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 17-Jul-10 Time: 09:24:14

Old 07-17-2010, 01:33 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 01:31:08 -0400, David wrote:

> I still think it has to do with resources. :-)

The backtrace disagrees with you. It aborts due to an assertion that
the workspace name isn't NULL. No indication of "not enough memory"
or heavy memory usage when enabling 20 workspaces.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:28 PM
David

On 7/17/2010 9:33 AM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 01:31:08 -0400, David wrote:
>
>> I still think it has to do with resources. :-)
>
> The backtrace disagrees with you. It aborts due to an assertion that
> the workspace name isn't NULL. No indication of "not enough memory"
> or heavy memory usage when enabling 20 workspaces.

Well then I guess things do change with time. <smile>

Several ears ago, on another distro (which shall remain nameless) very
similar to Red hat / Fedora, it was suggested that this problem could be
caused by running out of resources. Too many desktops, just sitting
there and not doing 'anything', was also supposed to slow down the
system. Busy ones would slow it down more and could cause a crash.

But you would know because you use that many workspaces. And I would not
because two is more than enough for me. But I can also see why this
might not be seen by developers too. However many in this thread, plus
1, is all of the users that I know of that make this extensive of a use
of this many workspaces. The 'plus 1' user uses 16 and he has not
mentioned workspaces crashes only crashes of applications in workspaces.

I hope that you find a satisfactory solution.
--

David

Old 10-01-2010, 10:27 PM
"Alan J. Gagne"

> The backtrace disagrees with you. It aborts due to an assertion that
> the workspace name isn't NULL. No indication of "not enough memory"
> or heavy memory usage when enabling 20 workspaces.
I ran into this issue when increasing from 14 to 18 workspaces.
You could switch between spaces with the mouse but as soon as you
use ctl+alt+arrows metacity would crash with the assertion failure.

I found a way to get around this by naming the workspaces.
Currently I have 20 workspaces configured.

Alan