Old 01-17-2008, 02:02 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default VLC and fedora 8: the last word

i realize this has been beaten to death, but for my own peace of
mind, i took one of my 13 spare laptops, installed the 64-bit unity
respin of F8 on it, did not do any further updating, and just followed
the instructions here:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-fedora.html

result? apparently successful installation of VLC:

41 pkgs installed
0 updated
0 removed

should i have expected anything untoward?

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Home page: http://crashcourse.ca
Fedora Cookbook: http://crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Fedora_Cookbook

Old 01-17-2008, 02:06 PM
Ed Greshko

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

i realize this has been beaten to death, but for my own peace of
mind, i took one of my 13 spare laptops, installed the 64-bit unity
respin of F8 on it, did not do any further updating, and just followed
the instructions here:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-fedora.html

result? apparently successful installation of VLC:

41 pkgs installed
0 updated
0 removed

should i have expected anything untoward?

No... And it probably would have worked out equally well had the
instructions said "use freshrpms". I don't see the need to test it.

13 spare laptops, huh? I can give you a shipping address if they are
collecting too much dust. :-)

Old 01-17-2008, 02:25 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008, Ed Greshko wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > i realize this has been beaten to death, but for my own peace of
> > mind, i took one of my 13 spare laptops, installed the 64-bit unity
> > respin of F8 on it, did not do any further updating, and just followed
> > the instructions here:
> >
> > http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-fedora.html
> >
> > result? apparently successful installation of VLC:
> >
> > 41 pkgs installed
> > 0 updated
> > 0 removed
> >
> > should i have expected anything untoward?
>
> No... And it probably would have worked out equally well had the
> instructions said "use freshrpms". I don't see the need to test it.

well, given the recent hubbub, i just thought it was worth verifying
from a clean install. i'm just like that. :-)

> 13 spare laptops, huh? I can give you a shipping address if they
> are collecting too much dust. :-)

heh. nice try. it comes with being an independent trainer -- have
portable classroom, will travel.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:46 PM
Tim

On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 10:02 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> i took one of my 13 spare laptops, installed the 64-bit unity respin
> of F8 on it, ... apparently successful installation of VLC:
>
> 41 pkgs installed
> 0 updated
> 0 removed
>
> should i have expected anything untoward?

A lynching for having that many *spare* laptops? ;-)

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:31 PM
Ed Greshko

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

[...]

Oh, they're not *really* spare then... :-(

--
NOTICE: alloc: /dev/null: filesystem full

Old 01-18-2008, 02:30 AM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 10:25 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jan 2008, Ed Greshko wrote:
>
> > Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > > i realize this has been beaten to death, but for my own peace of
> > > mind, i took one of my 13 spare laptops, installed the 64-bit unity
> > > respin of F8 on it, did not do any further updating, and just followed
> > > the instructions here:
> > >
> > > http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-fedora.html
> > >
> > > result? apparently successful installation of VLC:
> > >
> > > 41 pkgs installed
> > > 0 updated
> > > 0 removed
> > >
> > > should i have expected anything untoward?
> >
> > No... And it probably would have worked out equally well had the
> > instructions said "use freshrpms". I don't see the need to test it.
>
> well, given the recent hubbub, i just thought it was worth verifying
> from a clean install. i'm just like that. :-)
>
> > 13 spare laptops, huh? I can give you a shipping address if they
> > are collecting too much dust. :-)
>
> heh. nice try. it comes with being an independent trainer -- have
> portable classroom, will travel.

The guards would have a moaning contest if they had to do a shake-down
to pass you through the gates for our upcoming prison "Computer
Literacy" program. You would have a ball though. They listen so much
better because they are bored to tears and absorb stuff like a sponge.

I plan on first demoing the Hydrogen Drum Machine and fully expect a
riot of excitement and break dancing to erupt among the young guys.
Imagine one of your students willing to stick a shiv into someone
breaking line, to get to the computer to -learn- how to use a friggin'
mouse in order to compose. That's dedication to a goal! The goal is to
teach them to use a mouse. Sneaky Ric uses covert methods.

That reminds me, order plastic covers so the Mace doesn't get into the
keyboards or system cooling fans. I can shower, the computers can't.

<chuckles at the thought> Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar