Old 07-13-2010, 11:33 PM
"Gregory P. Ennis"

Default yum update failure

Dear List,

I noticed a problem with an update of evolution on my laptop with
2.6.33.4-95.fc13.i686.PAE. I thought the problem was with evolution
and made an entry on this list. Kevin Fenzi aptly pointed me in the
right direction.

I have done the following :

yum clean all

rm /var/lib/rpm/__db.00*

rpm --rebuilddb

When I try to update an rpm yum is not pulling the recent rpm's from the
repository.

Any ideas?

Greg Ennis

Old 07-14-2010, 05:59 AM
mike cloaked

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 12:33 AM, Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec@pomec.net> wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I noticed a problem with an update of evolution *on my laptop with
> 2.6.33.4-95.fc13.i686.PAE. * I thought the problem was with evolution
> and made an entry on this list. *Kevin Fenzi aptly pointed me in the
> right direction.
>
> I have done the following :
>
> yum clean all
>
> rm /var/lib/rpm/__db.00*
>
> rpm --rebuilddb
>
> When I try to update an rpm yum is not pulling the recent rpm's from the
> repository.
>
> Any ideas?

Stale mirror perhaps?
--
mike c

Old 07-14-2010, 06:30 AM
JB

Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec <at> PoMec.Net> writes:

> When I try to update an rpm yum is not pulling the recent rpm's from the
> repository.

Hi,
I assume it is Fedora 13.
We have to do it methodically, jumping all over places does not do it.
Please post full output (uncut):
yum list all
yum clean all
yum check-update
Now take one package you believe is not beeing updated and post output (note
the asterisks, please include them before/after package name):
yum list *problem_package_name*
This will get us going in search for the problem.
JB

Old 07-14-2010, 02:40 PM
"Gregory P. Ennis"

On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 06:59 +0100, mike cloaked wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 12:33 AM, Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec@pomec.net> wrote:
> > Dear List,
> >
> > I noticed a problem with an update of evolution on my laptop with
> > 2.6.33.4-95.fc13.i686.PAE. I thought the problem was with evolution
> > and made an entry on this list. Kevin Fenzi aptly pointed me in the
> > right direction.
> >
> > I have done the following :
> >
> > yum clean all
> >
> > rm /var/lib/rpm/__db.00*
> >
> > rpm --rebuilddb
> >
> > When I try to update an rpm yum is not pulling the recent rpm's from the
> > repository.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> Stale mirror perhaps?
> --
> mike c
---------

Mike,

Thanks for your suggestion!!!

I thought perhaps it was a bad mirror as well. To test this I removed
the comment marker from baseurl and then commented out the mirrorlist.
After doing a yum clean all, this change did not result in a remedy.

baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/$releasever/Everything/$basearch/debug/
#mirrorlist=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-debug-$releasever&arch=$basearch

Greg

Old 07-14-2010, 03:02 PM
"Gregory P. Ennis"

On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 09:36 -0500, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 06:30 +0000, JB wrote:
> > Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec <at> PoMec.Net> writes:
> >

> > > When I try to update an rpm yum is not pulling the recent rpm's from the
> > > repository.
> > >
> > Hi,
> > I assume it is Fedora 13.
> > We have to do it methodically, jumping all over places does not do it.
> > Please post full output (uncut):
> > yum list all
> > yum clean all
> > yum check-update
> > Now take one package you believe is not beeing updated and post output (note
> > the asterisks, please include them before/after package name):
> > yum list *problem_package_name*
> > This will get us going in search for the problem.
> > JB
> >
> JB,
>
> Thanks for your help. The list file was huge so I attached it instead
> of pasting in-line... hope that is ok with everyone. Other than the the
> attached file everything else is below in the order that you have
> requested.
>
> Greg
>
> [root@Re01 ~]# yum clean all
> Loaded plugins: downloadonly, presto, priorities, refresh-packagekit
> Cleaning up Everything
> 0 delta-package files removed, by presto
>

> [root@Re01 ~]# yum check-update
> Loaded plugins: downloadonly, presto, priorities, refresh-packagekit
> fedora/metalink
> | 21 kB 00:00
> fedora
> | 4.3 kB 00:00
> fedora/primary_db
> | 10 MB 00:34
>

> [root@Re01 ~]# yum list evolution
> Loaded plugins: downloadonly, presto, priorities, refresh-packagekit
> Installed Packages
> evolution.i686 2.30.1-6.fc13
> @anaconda-InstallationRepo-201005130056.i386

JB,

The attached list file was 1.4 mg and did not make it to the list

I have pasted a section of the file pertaining evolution below; if you
want to see the whole file I have posted it here :

http://www.pomec.net/yum_list_all.txt

@anaconda-InstallationRepo-201005130056.i386
evince.i686 2.30.1-2.fc13
@anaconda-InstallationRepo-201005130056.i386
evince-djvu.i686 2.30.1-2.fc13
@anaconda-InstallationRepo-201005130056.i386
evince-libs.i686 2.30.1-2.fc13
@anaconda-InstallationRepo-201005130056.i386
[1m[33mevolution.i686(B[m 2.30.1-6.fc13
@anaconda-InstallationRepo-201005130056.i386
[1m[33mevolution-conduits.i686(B[m 2.30.1-6.fc13
@anaconda-InstallationRepo-201005130056.i386
evolution-couchdb.i686 0.3.2-2.fc13
@fedora
evolution-data-server.i686 2.30.1-2.fc13
@anaconda-InstallationRepo-201005130056.i386

Old 07-14-2010, 03:35 PM
JB

Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec <at> PoMec.Net> writes:

I must apologize first for mistyped entry request ('yum list all") - this is not
what I wanted.
I meant to ask for output of:
yum repolist all
Also, get output of:
yum check
JB

Old 07-14-2010, 03:50 PM
JB

Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec <at> PoMec.Net> writes:

Gregory,
you have a plugin called downloadonly - the package is:

$ yum list *downloadonly*
yum-plugin-downloadonly.noarch 1.1.27-2.fc13 @updates

The description of it is:
$ yum info yum-plugin-downloadonly.noarch
: download the packages and not install/update them.

We have to remove it:
$ yum remove yum-plugin-downloadonly.noarch
confirm it y (Yes) to remove.

Now let's try again:
$ yum check-update

I hope it works now ?
JB

Old 07-14-2010, 03:57 PM
"Gregory P. Ennis"

On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 15:35 +0000, JB wrote:
> Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec <at> PoMec.Net> writes:

> Hi,
> I must apologize first for mistyped entry request ('yum list all") - this is not
> what I wanted.
> I meant to ask for output of:
> yum repolist all
> Also, get output of:
> yum check
> JB

JB.

No problem... I almost sent a note of question and in retrospect I
should have.. I only have fedora and fedora updates enabled. However,
in producing the the list of yum list all, the rpms in that list are
the ones that my system is referencing which are not the ones that are
current.

Thanks again for your help.

Greg

[root@Re01 tmp]# yum repolist all
Loaded plugins: downloadonly, presto, priorities, refresh-packagekit
repo id repo name status
adobe-linux-i386 Adobe Systems Incorporated disabled
fedora Fedora 13 - i386 enabled: 16,814
fedora-debuginfo Fedora 13 - i386 - Debug disabled
fedora-source Fedora 13 - Source disabled
google-chrome google-chrome disabled
livna rpm.livna.org for 13 - i386 disabled
livna-debuginfo rpm.livna.org for 13 - i386 - Debug disabled
livna-source rpm.livna.org for 13 - i386 - Source disabled
rpmfusion-free RPM Fusion for Fedora 13 - Free disabled
rpmfusion-free-debuginfo RPM Fusion for Fedora 13 - Free - Debu disabled
rpmfusion-free-rawhide RPM Fusion for Fedora Rawhide - Free disabled
rpmfusion-free-rawhide-debuginfo RPM Fusion for Fedora Rawhide - Free -
disabled
rpmfusion-free-rawhide RPM Fusion for Fedora Rawhide - Free - disabled
rpmfusion-free-source RPM Fusion for Fedora 13 - Free - Sour disabled
rpmfusion-free-updates RPM Fusion for Fedora 13 - Free - Upda disabled
rpmfusion-free-updates-debuginfo RPM Fusion for Fedora 13 - Free - Upda
disabled
rpmfusion-free-updates-source RPM Fusion for Fedora 13 - Free - Upda
disabled
rpmfusion-free-updates-testing RPM Fusion for Fedora 13 - Free - Test
disabled
rpmfusion-free-updates-testing-debuginfo RPM Fusion for Fedora 13 -
Free - Test disabled
rpmfusion-free-updates-testing-source RPM Fusion for Fedora 13 - Free
- Test disabled
rpmfusion-nonfree RPM Fusion for Fedora 13 - Nonfree disabled
rpmfusion-nonfree-debuginfo RPM Fusion for Fedora 13 - Nonfree - D
disabled
rpmfusion-nonfree-rawhide RPM Fusion for Fedora Rawhide - Nonfre
disabled
rpmfusion-nonfree-rawhide-debuginfo RPM Fusion for Fedora Rawhide -
Nonfre disabled
rpmfusion-nonfree-rawhide-source RPM Fusion for Fedora Rawhide -
Nonfre disabled
rpmfusion-nonfree-source RPM Fusion for Fedora 13 - Nonfree
- S disabled
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates RPM Fusion for Fedora 13 - Nonfree
- U disabled
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-debuginfo RPM Fusion for Fedora 13 - Nonfree
- U disabled
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-source RPM Fusion for Fedora 13 - Nonfree
- U disabled
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing RPM Fusion for Fedora 13 - Nonfree
- T disabled
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing-debuginfo RPM Fusion for Fedora 13 -
Nonfree - T disabled
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing-source RPM Fusion for Fedora 13 -
Nonfree - T disabled
updates Fedora 13 - i386 - Updates enabled: 361+3,358
updates-debuginfo Fedora 13 - i386 - Updates - Debug disabled
updates-source Fedora 13 - Updates Source disabled
updates-testing Fedora 13 - i386 - Test Updates disabled
updates-testing-debuginfo Fedora 13 - i386 - Test Updates Debug
disabled
updates-testing-source Fedora 13 - Test Updates Source disabled
repolist: 16,814

[root@Re01 yum.repos.d]# yum check
Loaded plugins: downloadonly, presto, priorities, refresh-packagekit
check all

Old 07-14-2010, 04:29 PM
"Gregory P. Ennis"

On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 15:50 +0000, JB wrote:
> Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec <at> PoMec.Net> writes:
>

> Gregory,
> you have a plugin called downloadonly - the package is:
>
> $ yum list *downloadonly*
> yum-plugin-downloadonly.noarch 1.1.27-2.fc13 @updates
>
> The description of it is:
> $ yum info yum-plugin-downloadonly.noarch
> : download the packages and not install/update them.
>
> We have to remove it:
> $ yum remove yum-plugin-downloadonly.noarch
> confirm it y (Yes) to remove.
>
> Now let's try again:
> $ yum check-update
>
> I hope it works now ?
> JB

JB,

You were correct to cause me to look at the downloadonly plugin... it
was enabled. I originally did in upgrade from f12 to f13 instead of a
new install, and then installed yum-cron. I do not remember installing
the downloadonly plugin, or enabling it. I used your syntax to remove
the plug in as well as yum-cron..... but the results of yum check-update
were :
[root@Re01 pluginconf.d]# yum check-update
Loaded plugins: presto, priorities, refresh-packagekit
3487 packages excluded due to repository priority protections

So no cigar yet.........

Greg

Old 07-14-2010, 04:45 PM
mike cloaked

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec@pomec.net> wrote:

> Thanks for your suggestion!!!
>
> I thought perhaps it was a bad mirror as well. *To test this I removed
> the comment marker from baseurl and then commented out the mirrorlist.
> After doing a yum clean all, this change did not result in a remedy.
>
> baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/$releasever/Everything/$basearch/debug/
> #mirrorlist=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-debug-$releasever&arch=$basearch

Hmm interesting url - with debug! Where did you put that line?

Why not try baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/$releasever/Everything/$basearch/os/

That is in the fedora.repo file I presume? And I wonder what you did
with the other lines in this file?

You should have also in the fedora-updates.repo file:
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/$releasever/$basearch/

However in the original fedora.repo file there is a mirrorlist and not
a specific mirror - like
mirrorlist=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-$releasever&arch=$basearch

and in the fedora-updates.repo file:
mirrorlist=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=updates-released-f$releasever&arch=$basearch

The debug stuff is further down those files - perhaps you should
revert to a working set of repo files??

--
mike c