Old 07-13-2010, 11:01 PM
Peter Diercks

Default Preupgrade F11 ---> F12 ?

Hello List,

I am running a server under F11. It is a remote machine which I have no
physical access to. It has a network connection. I wanted to upgrade to
F12 using preupgrade again, but this time I am afraid I'll run into
problems due to the size of /boot (194M, 153M free space).

Does anybody know if this issue has been fixed?

Greetings,

Peter

Old 07-13-2010, 11:49 PM
Dave Stevens

Quoting Peter Diercks <di-listen@jls-hh.de>:

> Hello List,
>
> I am running a server under F11. It is a remote machine which I have no
> physical access to. It has a network connection. I wanted to upgrade to
> F12 using preupgrade again, but this time I am afraid I'll run into
> problems due to the size of /boot (194M, 153M free space).
>
> Does anybody know if this issue has been fixed?
>
> Greetings,
>
> Peter

I just upgraded F11 top F12 using preupgrade and had a too-small
/boot, it doesn't seem to have been a problem, as I recall the
installer figured out that there wasn't enough space and used a
workaround, no intervention on my part needed. Pretty nice.

Dave

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
Krishnamurti

Old 07-14-2010, 01:28 PM
Steve Blackwell

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 16:49:26 -0700
Dave Stevens <geek@uniserve.com> wrote:

> Quoting Peter Diercks <di-listen@jls-hh.de>:
>
> > Hello List,
> >
> > I am running a server under F11. It is a remote machine which I
> > have no physical access to. It has a network connection. I wanted
> > to upgrade to F12 using preupgrade again, but this time I am afraid
> > I'll run into problems due to the size of /boot (194M, 153M free
> > space).
> >
> > Does anybody know if this issue has been fixed?
> >
> > Greetings,
> >
> > Peter
>
> I just upgraded F11 top F12 using preupgrade and had a too-small
> /boot, it doesn't seem to have been a problem, as I recall the
> installer figured out that there wasn't enough space and used a
> workaround, no intervention on my part needed. Pretty nice.
>
> Dave

Likewise. I upgraded from F11->F12 with a boot size of 190M. I got
messages about boot being to small but I continued and it all worked
out.

Good luck.

Steve
--
Changing lives one card at a time

http://www.send1cardnow.com

Old 07-14-2010, 04:06 PM
Patrick Bartek

--- On Tue, 7/13/10, Peter Diercks <di-listen@jls-hh.de> wrote:

> I am running a server under F11. It is a remote machine
> which I have no
> physical access to. It has a network connection. I wanted
> to upgrade to
> F12 using preupgrade again, but this time I am afraid I'll
> run into
> problems due to the size of /boot (194M, 153M free space).
>

> Does anybody know if this issue has been fixed?

Not that I've heard. 500MB is still the "safe" minimum (from what I've read) for /boot for preupgrading.

Maybe, this will help:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PreUpgrade

FWIW: I've never had good luck with upgrading Fedora. For that reason, I've always done clean installs on separate partitions keeping the previous install and setting up a dual boot in case things go wrong.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:29 PM
Bill Davidsen

Patrick Bartek wrote:
> --- On Tue, 7/13/10, Peter Diercks <di-listen@jls-hh.de> wrote:
>
>> I am running a server under F11. It is a remote machine
>> which I have no
>> physical access to. It has a network connection. I wanted
>> to upgrade to
>> F12 using preupgrade again, but this time I am afraid I'll
>> run into
>> problems due to the size of /boot (194M, 153M free space).
>>

>> Does anybody know if this issue has been fixed?
>
> Not that I've heard. 500MB is still the "safe" minimum (from what I've read) for /boot for preupgrading.
>
> Maybe, this will help:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PreUpgrade
>
> FWIW: I've never had good luck with upgrading Fedora. For that reason, I've always done clean installs on separate partitions keeping the previous install and setting up a dual boot in case things go wrong.

I normally hand configure storage, but on one old (FC6) machine I had let the
installer do it, and a bunch of LVM stuff was used instead of partitions. This
worked until I decided to replace the 64 bit FC6 with 64 bit FC13. The install
went fine, and the old LVM stuff was still there, but it wouldn't boot any more.
I copied the appropriate stanzas from the x86_FC6, and the kernel gets loaded,
then it says it can't find the LVM parts to finish booting.

The pv (one partition) has x86_{boot,root}_fc6 and x86_64_{boot,root}_fc13 LVs
on it. I can mount the fc6 LVs just fine, just can't boot.

The moral of this story is that the O.P. really means "separate partitions" not
some spare LVs you have. Very sad, I really wanted to run both, since I have
some software which was not upgraded past FC6. Today's warning. ;-)

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 07-20-2010, 01:26 AM
Patrick Bartek

--- On Mon, 7/19/10, Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:

> Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > --- On Tue, 7/13/10, Peter Diercks <di-listen@jls-hh.de>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I am running a server under F11. It is a remote
> machine
> >> which I have no
> >> physical access to. It has a network connection. I
> wanted
> >> to upgrade to
> >> F12 using preupgrade again, but this time I am
> afraid I'll
> >> run into
> >> problems due to the size of /boot (194M, 153M free
> space).
> >>

> >> Does anybody know if this issue has been fixed?
> >
> > Not that I've heard.* 500MB is still the "safe"
> minimum (from what I've read) for /boot for preupgrading.
> >
> > Maybe, this will help:
> >
> >* * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PreUpgrade
> >
> > FWIW: I've never had good luck with upgrading
> Fedora.* For that reason, I've always done clean
> installs on separate partitions keeping the previous install
> and setting up a dual boot in case things go wrong.
> >
> I normally hand configure storage, but on one old (FC6)
> machine I had let the
> installer do it, and a bunch of LVM stuff was used instead
> of partitions. This
> worked until I decided to replace the 64 bit FC6 with 64
> bit FC13. The install
> went fine, and the old LVM stuff was still there, but it
> wouldn't boot any more.
> I copied the appropriate stanzas from the x86_FC6, and the
> kernel gets loaded,
> then it says it can't find the LVM parts to finish
> booting.
>
> The pv (one partition) has x86_{boot,root}_fc6 and
> x86_64_{boot,root}_fc13 LVs
> on it. I can mount the fc6 LVs just fine, just can't boot.
>
> The moral of this story is that the O.P. really means
> "separate partitions" not
> some spare LVs you have. Very sad, I really wanted to run
> both, since I have
> some software which was not upgraded past FC6. Today's
> warning. ;-)

I don't use LVMs for the same reasons I don't "upgrade". After using Linux for 10 years, I've got partition sizes pretty much dialed-in, at least, for me, and always custom partition. I never let the installer decide. It always decides wrongly anyway.

I never could see any advantage to LVMs (over "real" partitions) other than being able to resize them while they are mounted.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:14 PM
Bill Davidsen

Patrick Bartek wrote:
> --- On Mon, 7/19/10, Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:
>
>> Patrick Bartek wrote:
>>> --- On Tue, 7/13/10, Peter Diercks <di-listen@jls-hh.de>
>> machine
>> wanted
>> afraid I'll
>> space).

>>> Not that I've heard. 500MB is still the "safe"
>> minimum (from what I've read) for /boot for preupgrading.
>>> Maybe, this will help:
>>>
>>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PreUpgrade
>>>
>>> FWIW: I've never had good luck with upgrading
>> Fedora. For that reason, I've always done clean
>> installs on separate partitions keeping the previous install
>> and setting up a dual boot in case things go wrong.
>> I normally hand configure storage, but on one old (FC6)
>> machine I had let the
>> installer do it, and a bunch of LVM stuff was used instead
>> of partitions. This
>> worked until I decided to replace the 64 bit FC6 with 64
>> bit FC13. The install
>> went fine, and the old LVM stuff was still there, but it
>> wouldn't boot any more.
>> I copied the appropriate stanzas from the x86_FC6, and the
>> kernel gets loaded,
>> then it says it can't find the LVM parts to finish
>> booting.
>>
>> The pv (one partition) has x86_{boot,root}_fc6 and
>> x86_64_{boot,root}_fc13 LVs
>> on it. I can mount the fc6 LVs just fine, just can't boot.
>>
>> The moral of this story is that the O.P. really means
>> "separate partitions" not
>> some spare LVs you have. Very sad, I really wanted to run
>> both, since I have
>> some software which was not upgraded past FC6. Today's
>> warning. ;-)
>
> I don't use LVMs for the same reasons I don't "upgrade". After using Linux for 10 years, I've got partition sizes pretty much dialed-in, at least, for me, and always custom partition. I never let the installer decide. It always decides wrongly anyway.
>
> I never could see any advantage to LVMs (over "real" partitions) other than being able to resize them while they are mounted.

They do make it easy to move stuff to new hardware, that can be important as a
time saving if you have to do it often.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>