Old 07-13-2010, 08:46 PM
Jozsi Avadkan

Default os that rather uses the gpu?

Does someone know a distribution/operating system, that rather uses the
GPU for "working", not the CPU? [by default]

Or this solution is still in the "beginning part"?

Thanks for any tips, link, suggestions.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:50 PM
Michael Miles

On 07/13/2010 01:46 PM, Jozsi Avadkan wrote:
> Does someone know a distribution/operating system, that rather uses the
> GPU for "working", not the CPU? [by default]
>
> Or this solution is still in the "beginning part"?
>
> Thanks for any tips, link, suggestions.

Yes, unfortunately it is windows 7 and soon to be Windows 8 will use GPU
for Floating point calculation.

It is very much needed in Linux.

I tried Windows 7 and the Movie playes/ converters are using GPU for
added speed to the conversions.

I am keeping my eye's out for news about Linux doing the saame as GPU's
are extremely fast and should be built in to OS's for calculation and
not just video display

Michael

Old 07-13-2010, 10:02 PM
Michael Miles

On 07/13/2010 01:46 PM, Jozsi Avadkan wrote:
> Does someone know a distribution/operating system, that rather uses the
> GPU for "working", not the CPU? [by default]
>
> Or this solution is still in the "beginning part"?
>
> Thanks for any tips, link, suggestions.

http://www.fixstars.com/en/company/press/20100302.html

Check out the page here and it's coming along.

There is an enterprise Linux ( Yellow Dog) which uses the GPU CUDA
device for added speed not just in acceleration for Video

Mac is doing the same.

Now that the Fermi's are out we will a brand new trend in parallel computing

Michael

Old 07-13-2010, 10:04 PM
Calcpage

On Jul 13, 2010, at 4:48 PM, Jordon Bedwell <jordon@envygeeks.com>
wrote:

> On 7/13/2010 3:46 PM, Jozsi Avadkan wrote:
>> Does someone know a distribution/operating system, that rather uses
>> the
>> GPU for "working", not the CPU? [by default]
>>
>> Or this solution is still in the "beginning part"?
>>
>> Thanks for any tips, link, suggestions.
>>

> That's a pretty broad question. Do you mean does "everything" on the
> GPU (which is not good at all) or does Math [including encryption] +
> Graphics on the GPU.
>
> --
> Cheers,
>
> Jordon Bedwell
> http://envygeeks.com
>
> --

I'd be interested in such a solution for running apps a la custers in
parallel. Is there anything like that available.

Actually, I'd be interested in any kind of clustering solution that
works with Ubuntu on multicore boxes and/or LANs.

TIA,
A. Jorge Garcia
Applied Math & CS
Baldwin SHS & Nassau CC
http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com
http://www.youtube.com/calcpage2009
Sent from my iPod

Old 07-13-2010, 10:17 PM
Jordon Bedwell

On 7/13/2010 5:04 PM, Calcpage wrote:

> I'd be interested in such a solution for running apps a la custers in
> parallel. Is there anything like that available.
>
> Actually, I'd be interested in any kind of clustering solution that
> works with Ubuntu on multicore boxes and/or LANs.

I have heard of a few companies and Universities working on GPU
clustering specifically for FOSS, but I have seen nothing thus far come
of it. There was one company that even showed off their Tesla based GPU
clustering. If you are just looking for true clustered computing
technically, it doesn't matter about your distro. When it comes to
Beowulf clusters, it still doesn't matter but theoretically, the
hardware and distros should remain consistent, you know how us
Administrators are about consistency and you know how labs don't like to
mix hardware because money doesn't grow on trees. This is a small
tutorial on how to build a cluster:
http://www.linux.com/community/blogs/Building-a-Beowulf-Cluster-in-just-13-steps-.html

--
Cheers,

Jordon Bedwell
http://envygeeks.com

Old 07-13-2010, 11:33 PM
ms

On 13/07/10 23:17, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> On 7/13/2010 5:04 PM, Calcpage wrote:
>>
>> I'd be interested in such a solution for running apps a la custers in
>> parallel. Is there anything like that available.
>>
>> Actually, I'd be interested in any kind of clustering solution that
>> works with Ubuntu on multicore boxes and/or LANs.
>>

> I have heard of a few companies and Universities working on GPU
> clustering specifically for FOSS, but I have seen nothing thus far come
> of it. There was one company that even showed off their Tesla based GPU
> clustering. If you are just looking for true clustered computing
> technically, it doesn't matter about your distro. When it comes to
> Beowulf clusters, it still doesn't matter but theoretically, the
> hardware and distros should remain consistent, you know how us
> Administrators are about consistency and you know how labs don't like to
> mix hardware because money doesn't grow on trees. This is a small
> tutorial on how to build a cluster:
> http://www.linux.com/community/blogs/Building-a-Beowulf-Cluster-in-just-13-steps-.html

Doesn't GPU stuff need to be specifically programmed/compiled for GPUs
with languages like CUDA?

Old 07-14-2010, 01:15 AM
Liam Proven

On 13 July 2010 21:46, Jozsi Avadkan <jozsi.avadkan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does someone know a distribution/operating system, that rather uses the
> GPU for "working", not the CPU? [by default]
>
> Or this solution is still in the "beginning part"?
>
> Thanks for any tips, link, suggestions.

Not possible. CPUs are *central* processing units for a reason:
because they are generalised processors that can do anything. GPUs are
*graphics* processing units, modern ones being designed to do 3D
modelling in hardware. This means they can do certain types of
mathematical operation very fast, but it doesn't mean that they are
replacement CPUs or better than CPUs in general.

It's like keen darts players: they can subtract down from 501 to zero
very quickly, but it doesn't mean they're good at arithmetic: many can
only add 3 numbers of 1-20 and 2x and 3x those numbers, 25 and 50,
nothing else, and they can't multiply or divide worth a damn. They are
practiced at one task.

GPUs are not some miracle new device. They're not wonder-processors
that are better than "boring old x86" chips. It doesn't work like
that. The x86 is a far more versatile, elaborate and clever device,
with years of brilliant design going into it; GPUs are one-trick
ponies. Great for that one trick, completely useless for anything
else.

Ignore the hype. Just because certain types of math can now be done on
GPUs does not mean GPUs are the future or are going to change
computing.

MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508

Old 07-14-2010, 01:20 AM
Jordon Bedwell

On 7/13/2010 8:15 PM, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 13 July 2010 21:46, Jozsi Avadkan <jozsi.avadkan@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Does someone know a distribution/operating system, that rather uses the
>> GPU for "working", not the CPU? [by default]
>>
>> Or this solution is still in the "beginning part"?
>>
>> Thanks for any tips, link, suggestions.
>
> Not possible. CPUs are *central* processing units for a reason:
> because they are generalised processors that can do anything. GPUs are
> *graphics* processing units, modern ones being designed to do 3D
> modelling in hardware. This means they can do certain types of
> mathematical operation very fast, but it doesn't mean that they are
> replacement CPUs or better than CPUs in general.
>
> It's like keen darts players: they can subtract down from 501 to zero
> very quickly, but it doesn't mean they're good at arithmetic: many can
> only add 3 numbers of 1-20 and 2x and 3x those numbers, 25 and 50,
> nothing else, and they can't multiply or divide worth a damn. They are
> practiced at one task.
>
> GPUs are not some miracle new device. They're not wonder-processors
> that are better than "boring old x86" chips. It doesn't work like
> that. The x86 is a far more versatile, elaborate and clever device,
> with years of brilliant design going into it; GPUs are one-trick
> ponies. Great for that one trick, completely useless for anything
> else.
>
> Ignore the hype. Just because certain types of math can now be done on
> GPUs does not mean GPUs are the future or are going to change
> computing.

That's not what Intel and Nvidia said.

--
Cheers,

Jordon Bedwell
http://envygeeks.com

Old 07-14-2010, 03:11 AM
"Darr"

On Tuesday, 13 July, 2010 @20:46 zulu, Jozsi Avadkan scribed:

> Does someone know a distribution/operating system, that rather
> uses the GPU for "working", not the CPU? [by default]
>
> Or this solution is still in the "beginning part"?
>
> Thanks for any tips, link, suggestions.

Have you checked out http://boinc.berkeley.edu ?
(see http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/GPU_computing )

# yum install boinc-client boinc-manager

Will get you the basics. The client is the service; manager the GUI.

#yum info boinc* shows there's also boinc-client-static,
boinc-client-debuginfo, boinc-client-devel and boinc-client-doc.

However, the person that packages the RPMs from the BOINC
SVNs for the updates repos hasn't run his script for a few months, so
we're stuck at version 6.10.45 instead of the latest recommended
(6.10.56) unless you want to package it yourself (probably just as
well, as his script grabs the latest - currently 6.10.58 - to make).

Anyway... to make it use only the GPU, set its preferences to use 0 CPUs.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:34 AM
Peter Kjellstrom

On Tuesday 13 July 2010, Jozsi Avadkan wrote:
> Does someone know a distribution/operating system, that rather uses the
> GPU for "working", not the CPU? [by default]

That is not possible (for reasonable values of possible...). No such operating
system exists today.

/Peter