Old 07-13-2010, 07:15 PM
"n2xssvv.g02gfr12930"

Default Firefox / Thunderbird setup niggle

To setup Thunderbird 3 to open Firefox for web links, and Firefox to
open Thunderbird for email links I have to use the default applications
setup provided by Gnome, the KDE one doesn't work. Surely there's got to
be an easier way to do this from KDE! I've not found one yet.

cpp4ever

Old 07-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Tue, 2010-07-13 at 20:15 +0100, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
> To setup Thunderbird 3 to open Firefox for web links, and Firefox to
> open Thunderbird for email links I have to use the default applications
> setup provided by Gnome, the KDE one doesn't work. Surely there's got to
> be an easier way to do this from KDE! I've not found one yet.

Thunderbird and Firefox are GTK apps, not QT ones, so you have to modify
the Gnome environment and not the KDE one. That's the way it is unless
someone releases alternate versions.

poc

Old 07-13-2010, 08:17 PM
"n2xssvv.g02gfr12930"

> On Tue, 2010-07-13 at 20:15 +0100, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
>> To setup Thunderbird 3 to open Firefox for web links, and Firefox to
>> open Thunderbird for email links I have to use the default applications
>> setup provided by Gnome, the KDE one doesn't work. Surely there's got to
>> be an easier way to do this from KDE! I've not found one yet.
>
> Thunderbird and Firefox are GTK apps, not QT ones, so you have to modify
> the Gnome environment and not the KDE one. That's the way it is unless
> someone releases alternate versions.
>
> poc

As I well know, but what happens if a user doesn't have Gnome installed?
How can they change the required settings easily? These can get broken
by updates amongst other things, so IMHO this could be a right nuisance.
Perhaps Fedora advises users to use an internet browser and email client
designed for their preferred GUI then, which IMHO basically sucks.

cpp4ever

Old 07-13-2010, 08:44 PM

n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
> To setup Thunderbird 3 to open Firefox for web links, and Firefox to
> open Thunderbird for email links I have to use the default applications
> setup provided by Gnome, the KDE one doesn't work. Surely there's got to
> be an easier way to do this from KDE! I've not found one yet.

use thunderbird email client for firefox browser;

from firefox menu bar;

'edit > preferences > applications > search: mail'

double click 'mailto', select 'use thunderbird'.

use firefox browser for thunderbird email client;

from firefox menu bar;

'edit > preferences > advanced > general > system defaults > check now'

--

peace out.

tc,hago.

.

****
**
**
**
learn linux:
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****

Old 07-13-2010, 09:51 PM
"n2xssvv.g02gfr12930"

On 07/13/2010 09:44 PM, g wrote:
> n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
>> To setup Thunderbird 3 to open Firefox for web links, and Firefox to
>> open Thunderbird for email links I have to use the default applications
>> setup provided by Gnome, the KDE one doesn't work. Surely there's got to
>> be an easier way to do this from KDE! I've not found one yet.
>

> use thunderbird email client for firefox browser;
>
> from firefox menu bar;
>
> 'edit > preferences > applications > search: mail'
>
> double click 'mailto', select 'use thunderbird'.
>

> use firefox browser for thunderbird email client;
>
> from firefox menu bar;
>
> 'edit > preferences > advanced > general > system defaults > check now'

This is a particular solution for using Thunderbird and Firefox
together, but what if you want to use another browser with Thunderbird?

Old 07-13-2010, 09:55 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Tue, 2010-07-13 at 21:17 +0100, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
> On 07/13/2010 08:57 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-07-13 at 20:15 +0100, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
> >> To setup Thunderbird 3 to open Firefox for web links, and Firefox to
> >> open Thunderbird for email links I have to use the default applications
> >> setup provided by Gnome, the KDE one doesn't work. Surely there's got to
> >> be an easier way to do this from KDE! I've not found one yet.
> >
> > Thunderbird and Firefox are GTK apps, not QT ones, so you have to modify
> > the Gnome environment and not the KDE one. That's the way it is unless
> > someone releases alternate versions.
> >
> > poc
> >

> As I well know, but what happens if a user doesn't have Gnome installed?
> How can they change the required settings easily? These can get broken
> by updates amongst other things, so IMHO this could be a right nuisance.

Without the Gnome libraries, the above apps won't run. The user doesn't
need to run the full desktop but they do need gnome-control-center or at
least gconf-editor to be able to change the configuration.

> Perhaps Fedora advises users to use an internet browser and email client
> designed for their preferred GUI then, which IMHO basically sucks.

Fedora is strongly Gnome-oriented, though it does support other DEs
quite well (including KDE which I use).

poc

Old 07-13-2010, 11:04 PM

n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
> On 07/13/2010 09:44 PM, g wrote:
>> n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
>>> To setup Thunderbird 3 to open Firefox for web links, and Firefox to
>>> open Thunderbird for email links I have to use the default applications
>>> setup provided by Gnome, the KDE one doesn't work. Surely there's got to
>>> be an easier way to do this from KDE! I've not found one yet.
>>
>> use thunderbird email client for firefox browser;
>>
>> from firefox menu bar;
>>
>> 'edit > preferences > applications > search: mail'
>>
>> double click 'mailto', select 'use thunderbird'.
>>

>> use firefox browser for thunderbird email client;
>>
>> from firefox menu bar;
>>
>> 'edit > preferences > advanced > general > system defaults > check now'

> This is a particular solution for using Thunderbird and Firefox
> together, but what if you want to use another browser with Thunderbird?

being that you asked about thunderbird and firefox, i replied how to use
firefox and thunderbird. [read what you wrote above]

as for some other browser, that would depend on other browser and which
way you wanted them to interact.

therefore, it would be how you set it up with 'file association'.

--

peace out.

tc,hago.

.

****
**
**
**

Old 07-14-2010, 05:01 AM
"n2xssvv.g02gfr12930"

On 07/13/2010 08:15 PM, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:

> To setup Thunderbird 3 to open Firefox for web links, and Firefox to
> open Thunderbird for email links I have to use the default applications
> setup provided by Gnome, the KDE one doesn't work. Surely there's got to
> be an easier way to do this from KDE! I've not found one yet.
>
> cpp4ever

To all the folks who replied, your help and suggestions are
appreciated.It appears the only flexible way to set the browser for
Thunderbird, and the email client for Firefox is to run
gnome-default-a. For desktop environments other than Gnome that is.

HTH

cpp4ever

Old 07-14-2010, 12:37 PM
Tim

On Tue, 2010-07-13 at 15:27 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> Thunderbird and Firefox are GTK apps, not QT ones, so you have to
> modify the Gnome environment and not the KDE one.

Shouldn't that be, then, having to use a GTK configurator, more than
having to using something Gnome?

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:45 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 22:07 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-07-13 at 15:27 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > Thunderbird and Firefox are GTK apps, not QT ones, so you have to
> > modify the Gnome environment and not the KDE one.
>
> Shouldn't that be, then, having to use a GTK configurator, more than
> having to using something Gnome?

As I understand it, the Gnome config stuff (Gconf) implies a substratum
of GTK libraries communicating over DBus. That's what I mean by "Gnome
environment". Whether the actual configuration app is part of the Gnome
distro isn't important, but it does need to use the libraries. So in
theory one could have a QT-based app that interfaced to GTK, or even a
version of the KDE System Settings panel that fully understood Gconf,
but for the moment we don't.

poc