Old 07-13-2010, 06:16 PM
David Highley

Default sshd Authentication refused

New install of Fedora 13 we get the following /var/log/secure entry when
we ssh from a Fedora 12 system to the Fedora 13 system:
Authentication refused: bad ownership or modes for file /home/dhighley/.ssh/authorized_keys

We have checked and tried different modes until we are blue in the face.
Have read the upates notes for openssh and Fedora 13 release. Googled
the net for know issues and bugzilla.redhat.com. We did check for
selinux blocks and found none.

User home directory is auto NFS mounted and we use NIS. This works
Fedora 12 to Fedora 12.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:24 PM
"Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak"

David Highley wrote:
> New install of Fedora 13 we get the following /var/log/secure entry when
> we ssh from a Fedora 12 system to the Fedora 13 system:
> Authentication refused: bad ownership or modes for file /home/dhighley/.ssh/authorized_keys

Make sure .ssh/authorized_keys has 600 permissions (user read/write
only). Make sure the .ssh directory has 700 permissions (user r/w/x).

Try "restorecon -r ~/.ssh" on the F13 system.

- Mike

Old 07-13-2010, 06:27 PM
Marvin Kosmal

Hi

If this a new install I do believe you need to regenerate the key.

Try this..

Do a plain ssh using password.

Like

ssh me@mydomain.com

and it should ask for password.

If that works. Then you know ssh link is working.

HTH

Marvin

Old 07-13-2010, 06:43 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 11:16:46 -0700 (PDT)
David Highley <dhighley@highley-recommended.com> wrote:

> New install of Fedora 13 we get the following /var/log/secure entry
> when we ssh from a Fedora 12 system to the Fedora 13 system:
> Authentication refused: bad ownership or modes for
> file /home/dhighley/.ssh/authorized_keys
>
> We have checked and tried different modes until we are blue in the
> face. Have read the upates notes for openssh and Fedora 13 release.
> Googled the net for know issues and bugzilla.redhat.com. We did check
> for selinux blocks and found none.
>
> User home directory is auto NFS mounted and we use NIS. This works
> Fedora 12 to Fedora 12.

You may want to use 'ssh-copy-id' to copy the key over to the f13
system. That will setup the right permissions and such automatically
for you.

Also, you will want to see if there are any selinux alerts on the f13
machine. 'ausearch -m avc -ts today' can list the ones from today.

kevin

Old 07-13-2010, 07:08 PM
Rick Sewill

On 07/13/2010 01:43 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 11:16:46 -0700 (PDT)
> David Highley <dhighley@highley-recommended.com> wrote:
>
>> New install of Fedora 13 we get the following /var/log/secure entry
>> when we ssh from a Fedora 12 system to the Fedora 13 system:
>> Authentication refused: bad ownership or modes for
>> file /home/dhighley/.ssh/authorized_keys
>>
>> We have checked and tried different modes until we are blue in the
>> face. Have read the upates notes for openssh and Fedora 13 release.
>> Googled the net for know issues and bugzilla.redhat.com. We did check
>> for selinux blocks and found none.
>>
>> User home directory is auto NFS mounted and we use NIS. This works
>> Fedora 12 to Fedora 12.
>
> You may want to use 'ssh-copy-id' to copy the key over to the f13
> system. That will setup the right permissions and such automatically
> for you.
>
> Also, you will want to see if there are any selinux alerts on the f13
> machine. 'ausearch -m avc -ts today' can list the ones from today.
>
> kevin

I cannot explain how f12 <--> f12 works, but f12 <--> f13 does not.
I can only guess there is something different for the NFS mount -or-
something different regarding NIS.

=====

One possibility, which I consider very, very remote is the following.

I may be wrong but I think the ownership and modes for all the parent
directories from your /home/dhighley/.ssh directory also matter.

I assume you made sure /home/dhighley/.ssh is mode 700.
What is the mode of /home/dhlighley? Is it 755 (I think that's okay).
I think any write mode for group or other would be bad.
I assume /home/dhlighley is owned by you, the user.

What about /home? Who owns it? What is it's mode?
I think root must own it.
I think only root should have write access to it.

I actually assume the ownership and modes are all correct...the
possibility of this being the problem seems exceedingly rare to me, but
please check.

=====

Another possibility, which I also consider remote, but is worth asking.
On the f13 machine, when you log in as dhlighley, is the user name only
found in NIS? On occasion, if one is testing something new, one might
put in a local account in the /etc/passwd file, and forget it is there.
Depending on your /etc/nsswitch.conf file, the local file is probably
checked before NIS.

Sorry, can't think of anything else. Others have already mentioned selinux.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:39 PM
JD

On 07/13/2010 11:16 AM, David Highley wrote:
> New install of Fedora 13 we get the following /var/log/secure entry when
> we ssh from a Fedora 12 system to the Fedora 13 system:
> Authentication refused: bad ownership or modes for file /home/dhighley/.ssh/authorized_keys
>
> We have checked and tried different modes until we are blue in the face.
> Have read the upates notes for openssh and Fedora 13 release. Googled
> the net for know issues and bugzilla.redhat.com. We did check for
> selinux blocks and found none.
>
> User home directory is auto NFS mounted and we use NIS. This works
> Fedora 12 to Fedora 12.
In such cases, I have always deleted ~/.ssh directory
and tried to ssh again and it works.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:41 PM
David Highley

"Rick Sewill wrote:"

> On 07/13/2010 01:43 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 11:16:46 -0700 (PDT)
> > David Highley <dhighley@highley-recommended.com> wrote:
> >
> >> New install of Fedora 13 we get the following /var/log/secure entry
> >> when we ssh from a Fedora 12 system to the Fedora 13 system:
> >> Authentication refused: bad ownership or modes for
> >> file /home/dhighley/.ssh/authorized_keys
> >>
> >> We have checked and tried different modes until we are blue in the
> >> face. Have read the upates notes for openssh and Fedora 13 release.
> >> Googled the net for know issues and bugzilla.redhat.com. We did check
> >> for selinux blocks and found none.
> >>
> >> User home directory is auto NFS mounted and we use NIS. This works
> >> Fedora 12 to Fedora 12.
> >
> > You may want to use 'ssh-copy-id' to copy the key over to the f13
> > system. That will setup the right permissions and such automatically
> > for you.

Where would I copy it if I'm using auto mounted home directories?

> > Also, you will want to see if there are any selinux alerts on the f13
> > machine. 'ausearch -m avc -ts today' can list the ones from today.

See above, we did check for selinux denials. We also did a restorcon -v
-R .ssh just in case and nothing changed.

> > kevin
> >

> I cannot explain how f12 <--> f12 works, but f12 <--> f13 does not.
> I can only guess there is something different for the NFS mount -or-
> something different regarding NIS.
>
> =====
>
> One possibility, which I consider very, very remote is the following.
>
> I may be wrong but I think the ownership and modes for all the parent
> directories from your /home/dhighley/.ssh directory also matter.

Directory .ssh has mode of 700.
File .ssh/authorized_keys has a mode of 600
Home directory dhighley has a mode of 750

All are owned by the user and the user's group.

> I assume you made sure /home/dhighley/.ssh is mode 700.
> What is the mode of /home/dhlighley? Is it 755 (I think that's okay).
> I think any write mode for group or other would be bad.
> I assume /home/dhlighley is owned by you, the user.
>
> What about /home? Who owns it? What is it's mode?
> I think root must own it.
> I think only root should have write access to it.

Mode of /home is 755 and owned by root on the NFS server and the client
Fedora 13 system.

> I actually assume the ownership and modes are all correct...the
> possibility of this being the problem seems exceedingly rare to me, but
> please check.
>
> =====
>
> Another possibility, which I also consider remote, but is worth asking.
> On the f13 machine, when you log in as dhlighley, is the user name only
> found in NIS? On occasion, if one is testing something new, one might
> put in a local account in the /etc/passwd file, and forget it is there.
> Depending on your /etc/nsswitch.conf file, the local file is probably
> checked before NIS.

There are no local user file entries on the Fedora 13 system.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:49 PM
jack craig

On 07/13/2010 11:16 AM, David Highley wrote:
> New install of Fedora 13 we get the following /var/log/secure entry when
> we ssh from a Fedora 12 system to the Fedora 13 system:
> Authentication refused: bad ownership or modes for file /home/dhighley/.ssh/authorized_keys
>
> We have checked and tried different modes until we are blue in the face.
> Have read the upates notes for openssh and Fedora 13 release. Googled
> the net for know issues and bugzilla.redhat.com. We did check for
> selinux blocks and found none.
>
> User home directory is auto NFS mounted and we use NIS. This works
> Fedora 12 to Fedora 12.

Hi David,

I use this feature of ssh a lot.

i like to debug as, ...

ssh user@host date

so it fails... now try,

ssh -v -v -v user@host date

what does this tell you?

--
Jack Craig
Software Engineer

Old 07-13-2010, 08:36 PM
David Highley

"jack craig wrote:"

> On 07/13/2010 11:16 AM, David Highley wrote:
> > New install of Fedora 13 we get the following /var/log/secure entry when
> > we ssh from a Fedora 12 system to the Fedora 13 system:
> > Authentication refused: bad ownership or modes for file /home/dhighley/.ssh/authorized_keys
> >
> > We have checked and tried different modes until we are blue in the face.
> > Have read the upates notes for openssh and Fedora 13 release. Googled
> > the net for know issues and bugzilla.redhat.com. We did check for
> > selinux blocks and found none.
> >
> > User home directory is auto NFS mounted and we use NIS. This works
> > Fedora 12 to Fedora 12.
> >
> Hi David,
>
> I use this feature of ssh a lot.
>
> i like to debug as, ...
>
> ssh user@host date
>
> so it fails... now try,
>
> ssh -v -v -v user@host date
>
> what does this tell you?

Nice

[dhighley@spruce ~]$ ssh -v -v -v redwood date
OpenSSH_5.3p1, OpenSSL 1.0.0a-fips 1 Jun 2010
debug1: Applying options for *
debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
debug1: Connecting to redwood [10.2.2.9] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: identity file /home/dhighley/.ssh/identity type -1
debug3: Not a RSA1 key file /home/dhighley/.ssh/id_rsa.
debug2: key_type_from_name: unknown key type '-----BEGIN'
debug3: key_read: missing keytype
debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
debug2: key_type_from_name: unknown key type '-----END'
debug3: key_read: missing keytype
debug1: identity file /home/dhighley/.ssh/id_rsa type 1
debug1: identity file /home/dhighley/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
debug1: Remote protocol version 2.0, remote software version OpenSSH_5.4
debug1: match: OpenSSH_5.4 pat OpenSSH*
debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.3
debug2: fd 3 setting O_NONBLOCK
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
debug3: Wrote 792 bytes for a total of 813
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT received
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit:
diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha256,diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha1,diffie-hellman-group14-sha1,diffie-hellman-group1-sha1
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: ssh-rsa,ssh-dss
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit:
aes128-ctr,aes192-ctr,aes256-ctr,arcfour256,arcfour128,aes128-cbc,3des-cbc,blowfish-cbc,cast128-cbc,aes192-cbc,aes256-cbc,arcfour,rijndael-cbc@lysator.liu.se
hmac-md5,hmac-sha1,umac-64@openssh.com,hmac-ripemd160,hmac-ripemd160@openssh.com,hmac-sha1-96,hmac-md5-96
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: none,zlib@openssh.com,zlib
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: none,zlib@openssh.com,zlib
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit:
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit:
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: first_kex_follows 0
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: reserved 0
[...]
debug2: mac_setup: found hmac-md5
debug1: kex: server->client aes128-ctr hmac-md5 none
debug2: mac_setup: found hmac-md5
debug1: kex: client->server aes128-ctr hmac-md5 none
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_REQUEST(1024<1024<8192) sent
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_GROUP
debug3: Wrote 24 bytes for a total of 837
debug2: dh_gen_key: priv key bits set: 124/256
debug2: bits set: 534/1024
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_INIT sent
debug3: Wrote 144 bytes for a total of 981
debug3: check_host_in_hostfile: filename /home/dhighley/.ssh/known_hosts
debug3: check_host_in_hostfile: match line 5
debug3: check_host_in_hostfile: filename /home/dhighley/.ssh/known_hosts
debug3: check_host_in_hostfile: match line 5
debug1: Host 'redwood' is known and matches the RSA host key.
debug1: Found key in /home/dhighley/.ssh/known_hosts:5
debug2: bits set: 492/1024
debug2: kex_derive_keys
debug2: set_newkeys: mode 1
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS sent
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS
debug3: Wrote 16 bytes for a total of 997
debug2: set_newkeys: mode 0
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS received
debug1: SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_REQUEST sent
debug3: Wrote 48 bytes for a total of 1045
debug2: service_accept: ssh-userauth
debug2: key: /home/dhighley/.ssh/identity ((nil))
debug2: key: /home/dhighley/.ssh/id_rsa (0x7faa974f1f00)
debug2: key: /home/dhighley/.ssh/id_dsa ((nil))
debug3: Wrote 64 bytes for a total of 1109
debug1: Authentications that can continue:
publickey,gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic,password
debug3: start over, passed a different list
publickey,gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic,password
debug3: preferred
gssapi-with-mic,publickey,keyboard-interactive,password
debug3: authmethod_lookup gssapi-with-mic
debug3: remaining preferred: publickey,keyboard-interactive,password
debug3: authmethod_is_enabled gssapi-with-mic
debug1: Next authentication method: gssapi-with-mic
debug3: Trying to reverse map address 10.2.2.9.
debug1: Unspecified GSS failure. Minor code may provide more
information
Credentials cache file '/tmp/krb5cc_1000' not found

debug1: Unspecified GSS failure. Minor code may provide more
information
Credentials cache file '/tmp/krb5cc_1000' not found

debug1: Unspecified GSS failure. Minor code may provide more
information

debug2: we did not send a packet, disable method
debug3: authmethod_lookup publickey
debug3: remaining preferred: keyboard-interactive,password
debug3: authmethod_is_enabled publickey
debug1: Trying private key: /home/dhighley/.ssh/identity
debug3: no such identity: /home/dhighley/.ssh/identity
debug1: Offering public key: /home/dhighley/.ssh/id_rsa
debug3: send_pubkey_test
debug2: we sent a publickey packet, wait for reply
debug3: Wrote 368 bytes for a total of 1477
debug1: Authentications that can continue:
publickey,gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic,password
debug1: Trying private key: /home/dhighley/.ssh/id_dsa
debug3: no such identity: /home/dhighley/.ssh/id_dsa
debug2: we did not send a packet, disable method
debug3: authmethod_lookup password
debug3: remaining preferred: ,password
debug3: authmethod_is_enabled password
debug1: Next authentication method: password
dhighley@redwood's password:

Old 07-13-2010, 08:53 PM
Rich

On 7/13/2010 3:49 PM, jack craig wrote:

> On 07/13/2010 11:16 AM, David Highley wrote:

>> User home directory is auto NFS mounted and we use NIS. This works
>> Fedora 12 to Fedora 12.

Have you tried this:
setsebool -P use_nfs_home_dirs1 1