Old 07-13-2010, 03:04 AM
Dave Stevens

Default F13 on Samsung N220?

Does anyone have experience or a pointer to installing F13 on a
Samsung N220? Nice little computer, Atom cpu, 1 gig, 250 HD, realtek
wifi.

Dave

--
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
Krishnamurti

Old 07-13-2010, 05:02 AM
JB

Dave Stevens <geek <at> uniserve.com> writes:

> Does anyone have experience or a pointer to installing F13 on a
> Samsung N220? Nice little computer, Atom cpu, 1 gig, 250 HD, realtek
> wifi.
>
> Dave

Hi,
I could not find any reference to F13 on this netbook.
But there are some experiences about Linux in general with other distros:
http://blog.scaryclam.co.uk/2010/04/20/samsung-n220-netbook-and-linux/
and
I hope it is of interest, otherwise please disregard.
JB

Old 07-13-2010, 03:24 PM
JD

On 07/12/2010 08:04 PM, Dave Stevens wrote:
> Does anyone have experience or a pointer to installing F13 on a
> Samsung N220? Nice little computer, Atom cpu, 1 gig, 250 HD, realtek
> wifi.
>
> Dave

Why don't tell us what problems you're having
trying it yourself?

Old 07-13-2010, 03:28 PM
Kwan Lowe

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 11:04 PM, Dave Stevens <geek@uniserve.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have experience or a pointer to installing F13 on a
> Samsung N220? Nice little computer, Atom cpu, 1 gig, 250 HD, realtek
> wifi.

I installed CentOS on this netbook. I went to pendrivelinux, grabbed
the iso to USB tool, then created a bootable thumbdrive with the
CentOS boot iso. I then used the boot iso to install across the
network. The Fedora approach should work similarly.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:40 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Tue, 2010-07-13 at 08:24 -0700, JD wrote:
> On 07/12/2010 08:04 PM, Dave Stevens wrote:
> > Does anyone have experience or a pointer to installing F13 on a
> > Samsung N220? Nice little computer, Atom cpu, 1 gig, 250 HD, realtek
> > wifi.
> >
> > Dave
> >
> Why don't tell us what problems you're having
> trying it yourself?

Because he hasn't bought one yet and wants to know if he'll be wasting
his money?

poc

Old 07-13-2010, 05:58 PM
Dave Stevens

Quoting JD <jd1008@gmail.com>:

> On 07/12/2010 08:04 PM, Dave Stevens wrote:
>> Does anyone have experience or a pointer to installing F13 on a
>> Samsung N220? Nice little computer, Atom cpu, 1 gig, 250 HD, realtek
>> wifi.
>>
>> Dave
>>
> Why don't tell us what problems you're having
> trying it yourself?

well, I was trying to preempt problems by getting the benefit of
others' experience, THEN trying it myself.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:00 PM
Dave Stevens

Quoting Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@gmail.com>:

> On Tue, 2010-07-13 at 08:24 -0700, JD wrote:
>> On 07/12/2010 08:04 PM, Dave Stevens wrote:
>> > Does anyone have experience or a pointer to installing F13 on a
>> > Samsung N220? Nice little computer, Atom cpu, 1 gig, 250 HD, realtek
>> > wifi.
>> >
>> > Dave
>> >
>> Why don't tell us what problems you're having
>> trying it yourself?
>
> Because he hasn't bought one yet and wants to know if he'll be wasting
> his money?
>
> poc

no, I've bought one and am so far pretty happy with the Phoenix
Hyperspace Linux instant-on, with the battery lifetime (apparently an
honest 10 hrs.) and am able to not use Windows Seven Starter Edition,
a dreadful piece of shit.

Still, I have F13 on my workstation and it would be nice to have the
same environment on the road.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:01 PM
Dave Stevens

Quoting Kwan Lowe <kwan@digitalhermit.com>:

> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 11:04 PM, Dave Stevens <geek@uniserve.com> wrote:
>> Does anyone have experience or a pointer to installing F13 on a
>> Samsung N220? Nice little computer, Atom cpu, 1 gig, 250 HD, realtek
>> wifi.
>>
> I installed CentOS on this netbook. I went to pendrivelinux, grabbed
> the iso to USB tool, then created a bootable thumbdrive with the
> CentOS boot iso. I then used the boot iso to install across the
> network. The Fedora approach should work similarly.

Excellent! Thank you very much.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:58 PM
mike cloaked

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 7:01 PM, Dave Stevens <geek@uniserve.com> wrote:
> Quoting Kwan Lowe <kwan@digitalhermit.com>:
>
>> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 11:04 PM, Dave Stevens <geek@uniserve.com> wrote:
>>> Does anyone have experience or a pointer to installing F13 on a
>>> Samsung N220? Nice little computer, Atom cpu, 1 gig, 250 HD, realtek
>>> wifi.
>>>
>> I installed CentOS on this netbook. I went to pendrivelinux, grabbed
>> the iso to USB tool, then created a bootable thumbdrive with the
>> CentOS boot iso. I then used the boot iso to install across the
>> network. * The Fedora approach should work similarly.
>

> Excellent! Thank you very much.
>
> Dave

I used an analogous technique on the NC10 when it first came out (with
F11 if I remember right - and it worked fine. some differences were
that I initially made a copy of partedmagic on a bootable usbkey and
partitioned the drive using that before booting a usbkey set up for
the Fedora install - with one additional difference - on booting the
boot.iso from the usbkey I elected for a hard drive install and
referred to a copy of the DVD iso that I had also added to the usbkey
with the corresponding images directory also on the key. That way the
install did not need the network.

I am guessing that the method will be the same for the 220 and this
seems to be born out by the previous post.
--
mike c