Old 07-13-2010, 02:43 AM
Dick Roark

Default Dual-boot with separate HDDs.

My main Linux box has suffered a motherboard failure. I am contemplating just moving the HDD to the XP machine and setting up dual boot.* If this isn't satisfactory, then it's a new motherboard.* I could boot by selecting the desired disk using BIOS.* Is it possible have GRUB select the OS (disk) at boot-up and go from there?

Thanks.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:12 AM
Harish Pillay

> My main Linux box has suffered a motherboard failure. I am contemplating
> just moving the HDD to the XP machine and setting up dual boot.* If this
> isn't satisfactory, then it's a new motherboard.* I could boot by selecting
> the desired disk using BIOS.* Is it possible have GRUB select the OS (disk)
> at boot-up and go from there?

Yes it is possible. What you may want to do is to make the drive you
are putting into the machine the 1st drive that will boot from. Then you
can edit the /etc/grub.conf file to add a few more entries to point to the
other drive with XP.

Harish

Old 07-13-2010, 04:52 AM
Dick Roark

G'mornin! I've already added the disk from blackie (he has the bad mboard).* The F12 needed a reinstall, so that's going on now.* It turns out that it isn't too bad (but it isn't too elegant either) specifying the disk in BIOS at boot.* When I get everything working (should be today) I will get into a more elegant boot-specifying system. (/etc/grub.conf).

Why am I not surprised that you were the first geek responding to my SOS?

Will keep you posted, as always.

Thanks,

DH

Old 07-13-2010, 03:21 PM
JD

On 07/12/2010 07:43 PM, Dick Roark wrote:
> My main Linux box has suffered a motherboard failure. I am
> contemplating just moving the HDD to the XP machine and setting up
> dual boot. If this isn't satisfactory, then it's a new motherboard.
> I could boot by selecting the desired disk using BIOS. Is it possible
> have GRUB select the OS (disk) at boot-up and go from there?
>
> Thanks.
If your bios is capable of selecting which disk to boot from,
then there is no need to install grub over the windows' MBR
and windows' "boot".
You will definitely need to change the root drive setting
in /boot/grub/grub.conf to reflect what bios thinks is the
disk number in such an arrangement.
Also, you will need to edit /boot/grub/device.map
to map the linux disk to the linux disk name.
And thirdly, the uuid of the disk in this situation will not
match, so you will need to generate a new uuid for the
disk - and I will leave this to someone else to answer
because I am not sure it will work.
and fourthlu, you will need to edit /etc.fstab and put in it
the new uuid as well.

on my machine:
$ cat /boot/grub/device.map
(hd0) /dev/sda
(hd1) /dev/sdb
(hd2) /dev/sdc
(hd3) /dev/sdd

and in /boot/grub/grub.conf:

title Fedora (2.6.33.6-147.fc13.i686)
root (hd1,0)
...... root=UUID=99c4a1b1-99c2-40e6-8d2c-44bba67ad7df .........
This uuid will need to be re-generated for the new arrangement.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:27 PM
JD

On 07/12/2010 09:12 PM, Harish Pillay wrote:
>> My main Linux box has suffered a motherboard failure. I am contemplating
>> just moving the HDD to the XP machine and setting up dual boot. If this
>> isn't satisfactory, then it's a new motherboard. I could boot by selecting
>> the desired disk using BIOS. Is it possible have GRUB select the OS (disk)
>> at boot-up and go from there?
> Yes it is possible. What you may want to do is to make the drive you
> are putting into the machine the 1st drive that will boot from. Then you
> can edit the /etc/grub.conf file to add a few more entries to point to the
> other drive with XP.
>
> Harish
Right. Like this entry:

title Windows XP Pro
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

except, assuming you made the windows disk id to be the second disk as
far as bios is concerned,
you will need to change hd0 to hd1.

Good luck.