Old 07-12-2010, 06:24 PM
"Chen, Helen Y"

Default Fedora13 showed 128 TB /proc/kcore on 2GB RAM

Hi,
*
I am running Fedora 13 with the 2.6.33.5-112-2.2 kernel, and am trying to make an ISO image of my hard disk for other use.* Unfortunately “mkisofs” failed because /proc/kcore exceeded its 4GB file size limit.* In fact, the size of the kcore on my* system
is shown to be 128TB, and the machine itself only contains 2GB of RAM.* Has anyone experienced the same problem?* BTW, the kcore files on my redhat machines reflect the actual RAM size as it should be.** Also, does anyone know why “mkisofs” even tries to copy
a virtual file into the ISO image it is creating?*
*
Thanks,
H Chen
*
*
*

Old 07-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Rick Stevens

On 07/12/2010 11:24 AM, Chen, Helen Y wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running Fedora 13 with the 2.6.33.5-112-2.2 kernel, and am trying to make an ISO image of my hard disk for other use. Unfortunately "mkisofs" failed because /proc/kcore exceeded its 4GB file size limit. In fact, the size of the kcore on my system is shown to be 128TB, and the machine itself only contains 2GB of RAM. Has anyone experienced the same problem? BTW, the kcore files on my redhat machines reflect the actual RAM size as it should be. Also, does anyone know why "mkisofs" even tries to copy a virtual file into the ISO image it is creating?

All 64-bit systems show 128TB of kcore, as that's the limit the 64-bit
chipset can handle and kcore is set up to map the maximum memory.

If you're imaging your system for a DVD or whatever, you shouldn't
image any of the virtual filesystems (/proc or /sys) or any hardware
devices (/dev) in the first place. Use something like:

genisoimage -m "/proc/*" -m "/sys/*" -m "/dev/*" -m core ...

Old 07-12-2010, 06:47 PM
Peter Larsen

Chen,
You NEVER EVER want to include /proc, /sys, /tmp, /media, /dev in your
backup/iso. They're not really files but points to other systems data,
or your kernel's internal structures.

If you're on a 64bit machines, then yes - the "virtual" size of these
files can be quite large. That's normal. They're not meant to be
written/read by normal processes. So simply exclude the non persistent
mount points, temporary and "cd/usb" mount points when you do a system
dump like that.

--
Best Regards
Peter Larsen

Wise words of the day:
Stupid nick highlighting
Whenever someone starts with "stupid" it highlights the nick. Hmm.
-- #Debian

Old 07-12-2010, 07:54 PM
Emilio Fernandes

Hi,

try to boot a live cd and use dd command.

dd if=/dev/sdX of=sdX.img

2010/7/12 Chen, Helen Y <hycsw@sandia.gov>

Hi,
*
I am running Fedora 13 with the 2.6.33.5-112-2.2 kernel, and am trying to make an ISO image of my hard disk for other use.* Unfortunately “mkisofs” failed because /proc/kcore exceeded its 4GB file size limit.* In fact, the size of the kcore on my* system
is shown to be 128TB, and the machine itself only contains 2GB of RAM.* Has anyone experienced the same problem?* BTW, the kcore files on my redhat machines reflect the actual RAM size as it should be.** Also, does anyone know why “mkisofs” even tries to copy
a virtual file into the ISO image it is creating?*
*
Thanks,
H Chen
*
*
*

Emilio Seidel Fernandes
Tec. Desenvolvimento de Sistemas Distribu*dos - UTFPR Curitiba

Old 07-13-2010, 07:26 AM
Tim

Chen, Helen Y:
>> I am running Fedora 13 with the 2.6.33.5-112-2.2 kernel, and am
>> trying to make an ISO image of my hard disk for other use.

Rick Stevens:
> genisoimage -m "/proc/*" -m "/sys/*" -m "/dev/*" -m core ...

It's probably worth pointing this out: Do you really want an ISO image
of your system? Because it's going to be missing important file
attributes (permissions, ownership & SELinux contexts, at least, and
probably links, too).

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:12 PM
Bill Davidsen

Chen, Helen Y wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running Fedora 13 with the 2.6.33.5-112-2.2 kernel, and am trying
> to make an ISO image of my hard disk for other use. Unfortunately
> “mkisofs” failed because /proc/kcore exceeded its 4GB file size limit.
> In fact, the size of the kcore on my system is shown to be 128TB, and
> the machine itself only contains 2GB of RAM. Has anyone experienced the
> same problem? BTW, the kcore files on my redhat machines reflect the
> actual RAM size as it should be. Also, does anyone know why “mkisofs”
> even tries to copy a virtual file into the ISO image it is creating?

If "other use" means non-Linux, you will have to exclude the things others have
mentioned. You will lose some information going to ISO-9669 format, you may not
care. If you want a real backup, loop mount a 4G file with an ext2 and copy
everything to that, preserving ownership, etc. Then unmount and burn to a DVD.
Linux will be happy to mount an ext2 DVD and all permissions and ACLs will be
preserved.

Note, I'm just typing this in, engage brain before copying!
# cd /tmp
# dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=4k of=bkup.ext2
# mke2fs [options] bkup.ext2
# mount -o loop bkup.ext2 /mnt/loop
# for n in / /boot /home; do cp -ax $n /mnt/loop/; done
# umount /mnt/loop
# growisofs -Z /dev/dvd=bkup.ext2

I do similar stuff, although if I really care about the data, I often make the
loop file smaller so I can add dvdisaster software ECC to the image.

hth

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>