Old 07-12-2010, 02:49 PM
Chris January

Default Fedora 13 freezes on Vostro 3700 - how to diagnose and fix?

I recently tried installing Fedora 13 on a Dell Vostro 3700 laptop (Smolt
profile:
http://www.smolts.org/client/show/pub_970e240b-29c8-499d-a137-d645db440137).
The installer froze several times (i.e. the machine stopped responding to
mouse or keyboard input) so that it took several attempts before a
successfull install. After Fedora was installed it would freeze within
about 5 minutes of booting. I tried changing the hard disk controller from
AHCI to ATA mode in the BIOS (as this fixed a freeze during Windows 7
setup) but that did not fix it.
I am currently running Ubuntu 10.04 and that works fine, with no freezes,
but I would really like to be able to run Fedora 13 instead. Ubuntu has a
2.6.32 kernel, whereas Fedora has a 2.6.33 kernel, if that makes a
difference.
What can I do to diagnose the problem? Should I file a bug in Bugzilla? If
so, what component should it be filed under?
I can test new kernels, but only from a USB stick as I don't want to
replace the Ubuntu install until I'm sure Fedora will work.

Regards,
Chris January