Old 07-12-2010, 06:22 AM
"D. Hugh Redelmeier"

Default DVD writing oddity

I have a shell script that I've been using for years to burn ISO
images. I just tried it with Fedora 13, and it acted up in an odd
way.

It burnt a DVD+R with this command:
growisofs -Z /dev/cdrw=/mnt/space-1500/tmp/08mythburn.iso -use-the-force-luke=notray -use-the-force-luke=dao

When that completed (successfully, it turns out), it executed this
command to check the result:
cmp --bytes 4291420160 /mnt/space-1500/tmp/08mythburn.iso /dev/cdrw

This command failed with this message:
cmp: /dev/cdrw: No medium found

In other words, the drive didn't seem to have a disk in it, or at
least not one that could be read as a raw bytestream.

The script ejected the disk; I inserted it again; I ran the cmp again
and it worked.

This has worked in the past. Why does it not work now?

Old 07-12-2010, 06:56 AM
Mogens Kjaer

On 07/12/2010 08:22 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> In other words, the drive didn't seem to have a disk in it, or at
> least not one that could be read as a raw bytestream.
>
> The script ejected the disk; I inserted it again; I ran the cmp again
> and it worked.

When is the disk ejected? At the end of growisofs, before cmp?

You could try adding "eject -t /dev/cdrw" between growisofs
and the cmp command.

Mogens

--
Mogens Kjaer, mk@lemo.dk
http://www.lemo.dk

Old 07-12-2010, 01:38 PM
"D. Hugh Redelmeier"

| From: Mogens Kjaer <mk@lemo.dk>
|
| On 07/12/2010 08:22 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
| > In other words, the drive didn't seem to have a disk in it, or at
| > least not one that could be read as a raw bytestream.
| >
| > The script ejected the disk; I inserted it again; I ran the cmp again
| > and it worked.
|
| When is the disk ejected? At the end of growisofs, before cmp?

Sorry that I wasn't clearer. The script ejected the disk after the
script's cmp failed, not before.

| You could try adding "eject -t /dev/cdrw" between growisofs
| and the cmp command.

That might work, even though the drive is already closed. The eject
might introduce a kind of delay that would get over the brief "no
media found" state.

I have a superstitious model of DVD and CD handling because so many
odd things happen.

[A different example of an oddity: on Ubuntu 10.04, we are having
trouble burning DVD images with K3B. It seems as if "something" is
mounting the almost-burnt image before "fixation" and locking K3B out
when it tries to finish the disk. This didn't happen on Ubuntu 8.04.
I'm still trying to figure out if Fedora 13 has that problem but got
sidetracked with the problem I've just reported and also a DVD+rw disk
that went bad and made the experiments fail.]

Old 07-12-2010, 02:32 PM
Mogens Kjaer

On 07/12/2010 03:38 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> I have a superstitious model of DVD and CD handling because so many
> odd things happen.

I had the reverse problem; after a burn&eject the
tray would immediately load again and mount the DVD.

This was very annoying, adding

# disable cdrom autoclose
dev.cdrom.autoclose = 0

to /etc/sysctl.conf fixed this.

Can't you do eject/eject -t between growisofs
and cmp? Maybe also add a sleep.

Mogens

--
Mogens Kjaer, mk@lemo.dk
http://www.lemo.dk

Old 07-13-2010, 08:01 PM
Bill Davidsen

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> I have a shell script that I've been using for years to burn ISO
> images. I just tried it with Fedora 13, and it acted up in an odd
> way.
>
> It burnt a DVD+R with this command:
> growisofs -Z /dev/cdrw=/mnt/space-1500/tmp/08mythburn.iso -use-the-force-luke=notray -use-the-force-luke=dao

Don't you love long cute command options? The author thought this was cute. and
it's probably been that way since Darth Vader was a cadet. I note that sdparm
wants something like like --i-swear-to-god-i-know-what-i-am-doing because some
things are dangerous. I assume anything that requires root is dangerous.

Recompiled them to use --dwis instead.

As to your problem, I think it's a buffering issue. I use isoinfo to get the
size of the image I'm burning, and read it with dd in 2k (CD) or 32k (DVD)
buffer size to match the sector size. That goes into md5sum for the compare.

* dwis - do what I say

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 07-13-2010, 08:01 PM
Bill Davidsen

Old 07-13-2010, 09:17 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Tue, 2010-07-13 at 16:01 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Recompiled them to use --dwis instead.

Or you could use a script.

poc

Old 07-14-2010, 03:33 PM
Bill Davidsen

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-07-13 at 16:01 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> Recompiled them to use --dwis instead.
>
> Or you could use a script.

Scripts only help if you do the same thing over and over. You can define it, too:
DWIS="--some-meaningless-nonsense-someone-thinks-is-cute"

But for one time use not having to enter the options is good, being meaningless
they are hard to remember.

Stupid option names are like scars on the Mona Lisa.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 07-14-2010, 03:47 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 11:33 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-07-13 at 16:01 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> >> Recompiled them to use --dwis instead.
> >
> > Or you could use a script.
> >
> Scripts only help if you do the same thing over and over. You can define it, too:
> DWIS="--some-meaningless-nonsense-someone-thinks-is-cute"
>
> But for one time use not having to enter the options is good, being meaningless
> they are hard to remember.

If it's one-time use, I don't understand your comment about recompiling
to use a different option.

poc

Old 07-15-2010, 04:18 AM
"Christofer C. Bell"

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 10:47 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 11:33 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>> >
>> > Or you could use a script.
>> >
>> Scripts only help if you do the same thing over and over. You can define it, too:
>> * * * DWIS="--some-meaningless-nonsense-someone-thinks-is-cute"
>>
>> But for one time use not having to enter the options is good, being meaningless
>> they are hard to remember.
>
> If it's one-time use, I don't understand your comment about recompiling
> to use a different option.

I think the irony is that --dwis can only stand for something else
that's "cutsey" to me in this context.

--dwis
Do What I Said. This option should only be used if your name is
Luke and you're using the force or if you swear to God you know what
you're doing.

If it means something else, I can't imagine what it is.

--
Chris