Old 07-11-2010, 08:14 PM
Bill Davidsen

Default Install Fedora 13 from Hard Drive

Henry Wyatt wrote:
> Need link or instructions on how to install from HDD.
>
> Currently have F13 86x64 but want to install 32 bit instead

You got two answers, both to other questions than what you asked. Please clarify
where you have the ISO image and where you want to install. You can't install to
the same filesystem where the ISO image resides, if that's what you're trying to
do you can make a bootable USB stick or DVD, but that won't be installing from
HDD. And since you already have x86_64 installed, you don't need new
instructions, just do the same stuff you did for the 64bit install.

And if you're trying to do something totally different, please restate where you
have the ISO image, where you want to have the install, and any other useful
details about what you are really trying to do.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 07-11-2010, 09:44 PM
"H. S."

On 07/11/2010 03:46 PM, JD wrote:
> On 07/11/2010 12:03 PM, Henry Wyatt wrote:
>> Need link or instructions on how to install from HDD.

<SNIP>

> I had tried to do "upgrade" so that I would not lose my home dir.

And this is one of the main reasons I always keep my home directory on a
separate partition. During the installation I do not touch that
partition at all (except for specifying the mount point) and create my
users in the same order as they were created in the original install (to
have the same uid's). The advice to be cautious and have a backup of
home still holds though.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:50 PM
JD

On 07/11/2010 02:44 PM, H. S. wrote:
> On 07/11/2010 03:46 PM, JD wrote:
>> On 07/11/2010 12:03 PM, Henry Wyatt wrote:
>>> Need link or instructions on how to install from HDD.
>>>
> <SNIP>
>> I had tried to do "upgrade" so that I would not lose my home dir.
> And this is one of the main reasons I always keep my home directory on a
> separate partition. During the installation I do not touch that
> partition at all (except for specifying the mount point) and create my
> users in the same order as they were created in the original install (to
> have the same uid's). The advice to be cautious and have a backup of
> home still holds though.

Right. I simply wanted to remind Henry Wyatt of the danger of losing
important files.

I have had my home dir on another drive for more than 5 years.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:39 AM
Tim

On Sun, 2010-07-11 at 12:46 -0700, JD wrote:
> Why from hard drive?
> If you have followed many other threads on this list.
> All you need to do is download the 32 bit iso,
> http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/releases/13/Fedora/i386/iso/Fedora-13-i386-DVD.iso
> and burn it to dvd. If your dvd is not working or don't have one,
> then install it onto a 4GB flash stick (the iso is 3.1 GB) - you do
> that by first installing

I have to say that I'd prefer to install from a hard drive, than USB
device, too. I don't have a big USB flash drive, and really don't want
to go out and spend more money on something I don't really need when I
do have spare hard drives laying around. And I do have computers
without DVD drives, so installing from a hard drive was an easy solution
for my situation.

I can well imagine that I'm not the only person in that situation.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:01 AM
fedora

jambo

i usually download the full iso dvd and the netinst iso CD.
i mount the full iso on a web-server, so that the relevant directory is
visible via the web, and burn the netinst iso CD.
i create a kickstart file. this ks points to the web, with the full iso:

url --url http://install.mydomain.com/f13

except if i install on the web-server itself. then this line looks like:

harddrive --partition=/dev/sda3 --dir=/software/fedora/

then i boot the server to be installed from the netinst CD and give it
the approp ks link:

ks=http://install.mydomain.com/ks/myserver.ks.txt

as kernel parameter.

suomi

Old 07-12-2010, 08:24 AM
mike cloaked

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 8:03 PM, Henry Wyatt <hewjr1000@gmail.com> wrote:
> Need link or instructions on how to install from HDD.
>
> Currently have F13 86x64 but want to install 32 bit instead

Copy the DVD iso onto a non-root partition on your machine, as an iso
file. eg if you have a / and a /home partition then put the iso onto
the /home partition. Or if you have a /opt partition that won't be
altered during the install then you can put it in there instead.

Then make a directory such as /mnt/tmp and then loop mount the iso
onto that mount point by doing as root:
# mount -o loop /path/to/Fedora-13-i386-DVD.iso /mnt/tmp

Now copy the images directory from the /mnt/tmp area to the same
directory that you stored your DVD iso on i.e. /path/to/ in the line
above.

Now as root still, copy the two key boot files from the iso into the
/boot area:
# cd /boot
# cp /mnt/tmp/isolinux/vmlinuz f13.install
# cp /mnt/tmp/isolinux/initrd.img f13.install.img

Now you have these two files in /boot
Now add a suitable grub stanza to your grub.conf by doing
# cd /boot/grub
# vim grub.conf

Once in the editor add a set of lines after the last normal stanza in
this file that boots Fedora, in the form:
title Fedora 13 Install
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/f13.install
initrd /boot/f13.install.img

Make sure that the line with root (hd0,5) matches the line in the
previous stanza in your grub/conf file so that it picks the correct
partition to boot from. i.e. select the correct drive and partition.
Making it the same as the values from another stanza that boots your
normal previous Fedora should be fine.

Exit vim using the "esc" button followed by ":" to get a command
prompt and then "wq" to write the changed file to disk.

Now check the partition and path to the Fedora install iso file that
you have on disk and write it down.

eg Let's say that you have /opt mounted on /dev/sda7 (check using "df
-h") and the path was /opt/isos/Fedora-13-i386-DVD.iso

You need to remember /dev/sda7 and the "relative" path will be
/isos/Fedora-13-i386-DVD.iso

Now all you need to do is to reboot the machine and interrupt grub so
that you can select "Fedora 13 Install" to boot instead of the normal
boot process.

If all has gone well you should now start to boot the Fedora 13
installer - and be able to start off the install. If you select a hard
drive install, then select /dev/sda7 (or whatever it is on your
machine for the partition containing your iso) and your correct
relative path, then the install should proceed as normal. Note that
you will not be able to format the partition containing your iso
during the install.

Note that you should select custom partitioning and make sure that the
root partition (/) is formatted during the install - and ensure that
/opt and /home are not formatted but selected to be mounted after the
install completes.

If you use LVM then you will have to modify this approach accordingly.

This approach allows a full normal install. It is the way I normally
do my "upgrades" from one version of Fedora to the next.

I hope this helps.

--
mike c

Old 07-12-2010, 01:44 PM
Timothy Murphy

JB wrote:

>> Need link or instructions on how to install from HDD.Currently have F13
>> 86x64
> but want to install 32 bit instead--

> Hi,
> Fedora site is your friend:
> fedoraproject.org
> then select Docs from left-side menu. then Fedora 13, then Installation
> Guide, then paragraph 4.7 Preparing for a Hard Drive Installation, etc.

I don't know what "etc" means at the end of this message.
but the instructions in para 4.7 are far from lucid, in my opinion.
They don't seem to mention the kernel or initrd files,
or how to start the installation.

The reader is referred to the anaconda rpm for instructions,
which seems to me bizarre.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 07-12-2010, 03:05 PM
"H.S."

On 12/07/10 03:39 AM, Tim wrote:

> I have to say that I'd prefer to install from a hard drive, than USB
> device, too. I don't have a big USB flash drive, and really don't want
> to go out and spend more money on something I don't really need when I

F13's boot.iso is around 208 MB.
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/13/Fedora/x86_64/os/images/boot.iso
All I did was download that file and copied to a 256 MB stick I had
lying around. Check my recent thread with subject "cannot boot from USB
stick using boot.iso" for the procedure.

Besides, with this USB method you install only the updated packages.
With the DVD iso, you download the iso first, install it and then update
the system. The latter step can easily take around an hour or so
depending on your ISP speed and required updates.

> do have spare hard drives laying around. And I do have computers
> without DVD drives, so installing from a hard drive was an easy solution
> for my situation.
>
> I can well imagine that I'm not the only person in that situation.

No, you are not. I have installed from hard drive in the past (I think
it was F9). Here is what I did as I recall (don't have the specifics
though). The idea is to download the DVD iso on a partition that was not
going to be overwritten. I have a running Debian OS on the computer and
I mounted that iso and extracted the kernel related files and copied
them to my Debian /boot and created grub entries so that I could boot
from F9 kernel. I rebooted using F9 kernel and asked the installer to
choose an image on a hard drive. There is a bit of a hassle to create
the relevant boot process but otherwise it does quite well. You should
be able to search google for the exact method, or even alternatives
(e.g. in case you have no OS installed on the system at all).

ever having been read.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:36 PM
JB

Timothy Murphy <gayleard <at> eircom.net> writes:

> JB wrote:
>
> >> Need link or instructions on how to install from HDD.Currently have F13
> >> 86x64
> > but want to install 32 bit instead--
>
> > Hi,
> > Fedora site is your friend:
> > fedoraproject.org
> > then select Docs from left-side menu. then Fedora 13, then Installation
> > Guide, then paragraph 4.7 Preparing for a Hard Drive Installation, etc.
>
> I don't know what "etc" means at the end of this message.
> but the instructions in para 4.7 are far from lucid, in my opinion.
> They don't seem to mention the kernel or initrd files,
> or how to start the installation.
>
> The reader is referred to the anaconda rpm for instructions,
> which seems to me bizarre.

Tim,
it is not bizarre ... (but if you read it, you will realize that the reference
to anaconda is pro forma as a means of installation, with its summary of
installation options only, and so you have to come back to Fedora Installation
Guide to understand the whole installation procedure).
Well, the "etc" meant that one has to read the Fedora Installation Guide to
learn more, that is:
Paragraphs 4.7 -> 6.2 -> 7.5 -> 7.6 .
It is not that bad ... the second reading will get you there !
JB

Old 07-12-2010, 06:29 PM
mike cloaked

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 9:24 AM, mike cloaked <mike.cloaked@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 8:03 PM, Henry Wyatt <hewjr1000@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Need link or instructions on how to install from HDD.
>>
>> Currently have F13 86x64 but want to install 32 bit instead
>>

> Copy the DVD iso onto a non-root partition on your machine, as an iso
> file. eg if you have a / and a /home partition then put the iso onto
> the /home partition. Or if you have a /opt partition that won't be
> altered during the install then you can put it in there instead.
>
> Then make a directory such as /mnt/tmp and then loop mount the iso
> onto that mount point by doing as root:
snip
> This approach allows a full normal install. * It is the way I normally
> do my "upgrades" from one version of Fedora to the next.

I perhaps ought to have mentioned that once the full normal install is
complete then there is some configuring to be done.
You have to set up any servers using the configs from your previous
system - although the usual caveats of taking backups is vital I did
not mention it in my earlier post, presuming that this was already
standard information.

So once the install is done the tasks necessary to get the system back
to full order is as follows:
Set up any bind mount links from the root partition to the /home
partition - it is necessary to hand edit the /etc/passwd and
corresponding shadow, group and gshadow files to add in any users
other than the one created during the install (apart from root)
Set up ntpd if used
Set up dovecot server if used, plus dhcpd if used
Set up any local definitions for bind, bind-chroot
Set up any mail aliases and other mail settings
Check networking configs

All of the config files associated with the above should be in the
backup files - in fact I often will make a backup of key system areas
(such as /etc /var /boot/grub and so on) into an area like
/opt/Local/backups before starting the new install and then all the
configs are on the untouched partition and can be copied back or
referred to in the new system to re-instate the original configs in
the new system.

Also necessary is to reinstate root .ssh configs if used, yum repos
like rpmfusion or google repo etc., or any other yum altered files
such as making the yum cache not delete rpms after updates

Also worth running restorecon on user areas in case contexts have
changed since the previous release.

In addition any personal firewall needs to be re-instated or special settings.

This list may sound like a lot but by keeping notes of which configs
you have this process usually results in a total time from starting
the install to a running and configured system in around 2.5 to 3
hours.

I hope this helps

--
mike c